• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlfriend, Girlfriend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OshiyamaFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't understand the critique I've seen based on what people want the series to be vs. what it simply is, a comedy and nothing more. It's like getting upset that Madoka Magica has dark elements when you want a normal Mahou Shoujo. Also Ayane Sakura as Saki is easily one of the best performances this season.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was made pretty clear that Naoya wanting to date both girls has less to do with his interest in both of them and everything to do with him not wanting to hurt anyone. Nagisa put so much work into being a good girlfriend that he couldn't possibly just outright reject her feelings but he cares about Saki too much to ever break up with her for another girl.

His proposal is based purely on the fact that rejecting Nagisa at this point would be just as cruel as if were to dump Saki for her so the only good solution is to date both girls so everyone can be happy.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I got the feeling that the big deal is all three leads are idiots, and it's just a comedy about that. Which is fine by me, though the yelling is a bit much. I guess that's just standard for this kind of Japanese comedy. The violence... has not gotten old, yet, which kinda surprises me. I guess it's the way the male lead instantly recovers from injuries that would put him in the hospital in any other kind of show.

I do hope that the other girls have some other kind of humor working for them.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
MrAJCosplay/Cartoon Cipher wrote:
But it also feels like we gloss over how we got here without much discussion, and I cannot realistically take this show seriously unless that gets addressed more.

Good thing then, that the show cares about the words "realistically" and "seriously" about as much as Gurren Lagann cares about the word "physics".

I think this much should have been obvious by now. For example, why didn't the show mention that Naoya and Saki were neighbors in the first episode, even though it would have helped explain why it was so easy to convince her mother to let them live together? Because simply telling this to the audience isn't funny, there is no joke! Holding this piece of info until Saki has left behind a note saying "I'm going back to my parent's house", that's a funny joke.

Really, this alone should tell you what the priorities of the author are.
UpToFourPlayers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
It baffles me how no one seems to mention how it's the creator behind Aho Girl so I have no idea what planet you're on if you think this is anything other than a goofy screwball comedy. Unless you thought Aho Girl was a serious look at banana addiction that is.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
UpToFourPlayers wrote:
It baffles me how no one seems to mention how it's the creator behind Aho Girl so I have no idea what planet you're on if you think this is anything other than a goofy screwball comedy. Unless you thought Aho Girl was a serious look at banana addiction that is.

Exactly. In the manga, pretty much every panel is a meme-worthy reaction shot of some sort. I do wonder if the half-hour run time works against it a bit, I was fully expecting it to be the same length as Aho Girl was when it was announced.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
It is like watching a garbage truck on fire that is driving down the highway at 70mph.

How can you not watch it?!?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
I got the feeling that the big deal is all three leads are idiots, and it's just a comedy about that. Which is fine by me, though the yelling is a bit much.

Sorry, but the yelling combined with the bombastic music is hilarious.

Note that I am watching Kanojo mo Kanojo / Girlfriend, Girlfriend subbed - I would likely not be able to stand the yelling in an English dubbed version (but that is just my personal preference).
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The three birds on a ledge was a nice symbolic touch.

Now we will have to look for other things that appear in threes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Watched just one ep...but it's pretty darn funny so far...

I was worried that the MC was just going to go behind each girl's back to date both...but he is not complete scum, to my relief. (School Days PTSD lol)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Saki is ever going to have an awakening. Such as when she really had to mention the streamer's boobs, commenting that she thought it/they were bad, and then when in person it was indeed the first thing she noticed. It has continued to be a bit of why I like Saki so much.

Also, mentioning Aho Girl, I guess that I can see the similar humour of dumb characters, but it does kind of seem a bit less mean here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a kind of nice turn that he kind of just shut down taking in a third girl into their relationship, and not just a case of adding in new girls, the gang just not really knowing what to do. And that any fanservice from Rika's part being balanced by the fact that she is using said fanservice to get views. Which in the schemes could perhaps be used to talk about her being an underage person doing such, but what are you going to do?

The punchline of her stinking after the hours of workout for clicks was good, followed by the ridiculous effort she then put into doing a survival styled shower. Not even Saki was that thirsty.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7

Just a side note, this show has quite the variety of musical themes. Though the shouting tends to drowned it out, sadly. What really caught my ear was the Spaghetti western like music for the roof scene with Naoya's crazy apology-offer speech. It pushed it over the top, for me, into very funny territory.

And a little aside, the blunt remark Saki makes about what she would do if there was a spoiler[cute bunny girl] in front of her makes me wonder if that's a Freudian slip or an accident with a dump truck. Or just more craziness. Rolling Eyes
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
This show is probably the funniest of the season for me, but I was hoping for some more touching scenes of all the characters bonding together like in Quintessential Quintuplets (same writer.) I’d be interested in a series that tackles polyamory realistically.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
There is a reason for the segments of this episode seemingly lacking a connection: the first two were adapted from several chapters ahead.

To be specific, Mirika falling for Naoya when he defends her from her father is chapter 18, and her talk with Naoya this episodes is chapter 20. Meanwhile, Bunny Girl Saki is chapter 37 and Maid Nagisa is chapter 38. What happened to chapter 19 you ask? That's the one where Saki and Nagisa try to seduce Naoya in the bath. It was moved forward, so the writes brought different chapters to put in its place.

I find this way of adapting the manga to be pretty weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2