• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
So basically everyone is shit, but this pile of shit (the deities) smells slightly less bad than the other piles of shit? If so then yea, no thanks. That with the tone whiplash is enough for me.

yeah it's very much a tonal whiplash since at first it's just goofy hyper-violence, but then they go one step beyond and then two steps beyond that and it makes it worse.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

If there's not some larger narrative point that will be made with it (like, arguably, in the obvious comparison scene in A Clockwork Orange), then maybe a good solution would just have been to, well, cut it? Not like the show's lacking for other scenes that establish the contrast between human and deific experience, or the deities' indifference to human suffering... If the nun's not going to be a recurring character and her experience isn't going to strongly inform a character arc for her that ties substantively into the themes of the show, then including it seems like kind of careless shock, to me.

Maybe, probably, i don't know... In my case, I don't care about those kind of scene if they have a limited screen time. I consider that an interest of anime is also that taking some distance from what is happening on screen is easier with drawings. So, for me, this scene is just some impact added compared to generic violence while ticking a narrative bullet point but i know that my perception is probably an exception among the public and i won't defend this scene as tasteful or needed. In the manga, it just seems to pander to rape and nun fetishism so...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
So I guess no shorts roundup, since there aren't many this season. We've got Ore, Tsushima on YouTube, about a grumpy fat cat owning an old woman he and all the other cats still call Ojii-chan. I didn't like it so I stopped after 3.

Then there's Obey Me! on YT and Funi, about a flock of demon brothers who as far as I can tell just sit around bickering with each other. They're fine eye candy, but that wasn't enough to make me watch more than one episode, since it seems to be tangentially connected to a game, yet without any helpful connective tissue story-wise. Going in cold it's all, "Who are these people and why do they all hate each other?" I can't even remember if anyone had a name. If you're not playing the game, there's nothing here as far as I could tell.

We also have Yoshimaho on YT, which kind of defies description. It's just some minute-long vignettes where cute, pastel guys talk soothingly to ease the fears and frustrations and boo-boos of the camera's inner 5 year old. Like, they pat the camera on its head and do their titular "Yoshi, yoshi" Magic every episode. It's weirdly fascinating, and as bizarre as it is, I gotta admit it's kinda relaxing. oO

Yamishibai is apparently still going strong in its 9th season on CR, but I haven't watched it in a few years.

Did I miss any?
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
There's also Artiswitch, which has been premiering on Youtube (with Eng subs). A witch runs a mysterious clothing boutique in Harajuku and helps people overcome their difficulties with the power of fashion. Heavy 3DCG that looks pretty good IMO.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I read a very little bit of Jahy and enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to taking in more with the anime, but so far it didn't do much for me. With the setup out of the way, hopefully things pick up next week.
At least Uramichi has been consistently funny for me
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode of The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated but I've already read the manga so I know what to expect with the pacing. Nothing about it seemed glaringly off from the manga. I was surprised that they introduced the Landlady before they introduced spoiler[Jahy's underling Druj (who is a successful businesswoman on Earth)] however, if you know exactly where to freeze-frame, spoiler[you do actually see Druj in the first episode, she's in the back of the limousine that Jahy runs by].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
Jahy is probably one of those titles that might be better in manga form, so I think I'll stop right here. It's 2-cour regardless, so I can return to it anytime, but it doesn't look like my thing: its humor is similar to something like Gabriel Dropout and I found that one to be too mean for my tastes, even though it doesn't reach that level of meanness. Also the first episode was kinda dull, something I rarely say about a SoL title. Strangely enough, I liked the landlady the most out of all characters, thanks to the great voice acting.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
Watched Jahy. It's not as fun or compelling as The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Or join me in granting offerings to the Anime Gods for a Magu-chan: God of Destruction adaptation someday.

Amen to that.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quick FYI the setting of Magia Record is called Kamihama
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22