• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Weekend Atlanta 2021 Announces Mask, Vaccination Policy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
It's not clear from the page, but AWA had announced the mask policy back in the spring when they said they were going ahead with the in-person event for 2021. They added the vaccine requirement on July 25, presumably because the optimism of the spring has given way to the despair of the COVID-19 delta variant making a roaring comeback among the unvaccinated.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I wish the upcoming conventions in DC would add some form of vaccine requirement.

While I think it would be appropriate, it’s probably a bit late to add a vaccination requirement now, or even if they had when cases started picking back up from the Delta variant, for Otakon at least. Even if you got the J&J one, you’d still be two weeks out from being fully vaccinated. AWA announcing it now gives people plenty of time to even get both doses of Pfizer or Moderna. On some level, it seems appropriate for people who have chosen not to get vaccinated up to this point to be inconvenienced in that manner, but if requiring vaccination encourages more people to get the vaccine, and they actually have the time to meet the requirement after it is announced, it seems like it could encourage at least some people to go through with it. Otherwise, it just incentivizes them to look up how to make a fake vaccine card.
Seibaa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
Feel like everything just instantly got even worse after that horrid James Corden sketch where all the rich people happily sang about covid being over.

I'm gonna be fully masked and doubled vaxxed for my first con back in Australia, but considering how dire the vaxx situation is here I might not even get the chance.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Covid misinformation removed (along with responses).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1