• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Transformers: The Movie Gets Screenings in U.S. Theaters on September 26, 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
I can only imagine what it was like watching this in theaters...well, aside from the Optimus Prime death trauma.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was a Transformers fan who was 11, soon to turn 12, when it was in theatres in 1986 but my parents never took me to see it (mainly because I had three younger siblings and we only ever got to see a couple of movies a year; I think that year, all I saw in the theatre were Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and I think they might have taken only myself but not my siblings to see that one, and Flight of the Navigator) so I didn't get to see it until it came out on VHS (which would probably have been in 1987 since there was usually at least a 6-month window between a movie opening in theatres and the home video release).

Perhaps I'll see it on the big screen for the first time if it gets a screening in Ottawa.

To be perfectly honest, though, even as a kid, I far preferred the first two seasons of the Transformers TV series to the movie since I was just more interested in stories that took place on Earth in the present day with the Autobots turning into normal-looking cars and trucks, of the sort you might see on the street in the mid-1980s, while the movie took place largely in space and the new Autobots in the movie turned into futuristic fantasy car designs that I didn't care nearly as much for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pip25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
To be perfectly honest, though, even as a kid, I far preferred the first two seasons of the Transformers TV series to the movie

Same here. The movie basically killed off most of the old cast to make room for the new toy line. Evil or Very Mad The episodes that came after were occasionally interesting, but it never recovered from that move as far as I'm concerned.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Rick and Morty recently showed that Autobots are carcist Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1