• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Also for some reason the owl was still alive after getting an arrow to the knee?

When Ligard (the owl's name) attacked the Yanome soldier on the ship, I at first thought it was Fushi taking its form.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
I guess we're, uh, all kind of avoiding talking too directly about it, but I'm really puzzled by the choice to have
spoiler[Hayase try to / plan to / apparently persist in attempting to rape Orby. I mean -- I guess on some mechanical level it sort of makes a kind of creepy sense, if she thinks she can give birth to and control a new orb-boy or something? But .. there was essentially zero foreshadowing that that kind of sexual violence -- or even sex at all, really -- was part of her obsession with him. Before this arc, I would have trusted TYE to attempt a storyline involving something like this, but this is just a mess. Why in the world would they choose to have Hayase do this out of nowhere, with essentially 0 foreshadowing or relevant character buildup? It's like they thought showing "Hayase mad, has scarface, crazy mad" a few times was enough to segue into this..]
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I guess we're, uh, all kind of avoiding talking too directly about it, but I'm really puzzled by the choice to have
spoiler[Hayase try to / plan to / apparently persist in attempting to rape Orby. I mean -- I guess on some mechanical level it sort of makes a kind of creepy sense, if she thinks she can give birth to and control a new orb-boy or something? But .. there was essentially zero foreshadowing that that kind of sexual violence -- or even sex at all, really -- was part of her obsession with him. Before this arc, I would have trusted TYE to attempt a storyline involving something like this, but this is just a mess. Why in the world would they choose to have Hayase do this out of nowhere, with essentially 0 foreshadowing or relevant character buildup? It's like they thought showing "Hayase mad, has scarface, crazy mad" a few times was enough to segue into this..]

There is foreshadowing: Hayase licked Fushi's face while they were asleep several episodes ago. It's not much, but at this point I think you are supposed to imply that her awe of Fushi before she was mauled transformed into extreme obsession over the years (there was also a hint of a personality shift after she was mauled when Parona tried to kill Hayase with an arrow at the end of that arc: Hayase's face had a crazed expression). That should be enough to go on until she likely says more later.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
I do vaguely remember one other face-licking incident, now that you mention it. That and her crazy-face cameos feel pretty thin to me as foreshadowing for the escalation in the latest episode, but I guess your mileage may vary.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Brain's Base playing dirty with To Your Eternity. The heck happened? The story is still neat is especially now considering Fushi keeps changing but the animation is a joke. It's even worse than Psycho-Pass 18 where Shiotani had to apologize for the bad animation and redo everything for the DVD. Murata better talk about this cos it's ruining the series.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Not gonna lie, between the nosedive in animation quality and the most recent development regarding Hayase, I'm starting to lose my interest in this show. I'm still gonna watch it, since we're almost at the end, but it's sad seeing To Your Eternity like this.

Add to this the odd pacing and poor editing. So many scenes just feel missing. Did they just animate panels without any connecting tissue?

There's no one thing that will return this show to the quality of the first arc. There are just too many bad elements here and it's heartbreaking. We all want so badly to love this show as we did in the beginning but it's impossible. There are only 3 episodes left. I am afraid to hope they will be better than the rest of the episodes in this arc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Fushi, the boy who can shoot spears and arrows from his body at the drop of a hat, really missed his chance there.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It was a good episode story-wise, but my god, the animation. Yikes. I'm really hoping the rest of the episodes aren't as badly produced as this because it's just horribly sad to see. TYE deserves better.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
There are only 3 episodes left. I am afraid to hope they will be better than the rest of the episodes in this arc.

Any word on a second season (and is there enough material in the base manga to support a second season)?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
kurichan69 wrote:
There are only 3 episodes left. I am afraid to hope they will be better than the rest of the episodes in this arc.

Any word on a second season (and is there enough material in the base manga to support a second season)?

This adaptation is going to end with chapter 54. That's out of 147 main chapters & many a side chapter of a ongoing story.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
This adaptation is going to end with chapter 54. That's out of 147 main chapters & many a side chapter of a ongoing story.

We can then hope for second and third seasons with better production values. No way can the overall story be brought to a satisfying conclusion in only three more episodes.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

We can then hope for second and third seasons with better production values. No way can the overall story be brought to a satisfying conclusion in only three more episodes.

What anime adaptation of ongoing story does that within a single cour Smile
This first cour covers the introduction of various this' & that's & who's- Which the rest of the story builds off of.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Not a really surprising turn: the OP spoiled all this since long before we even met Gugu. And even without that, it's just how this series does things. Never cared much for this kids, but still stung a little, I was kinda fond of the little one, and she was the first one to die.

However, I'm sceptical about the... reality? of this all, and I don't know whether it's on purpose or just poor directing. What do I mean? Well, last week we had the rocky weird bits: the presumably pointless drugging and jailing part and the owl magically being 100% healthy. Now, continuing like that, we had Tonari and Fushi's dialogues which seemed strangely out of character. And then it continues with those kids, which last episode were in the big ship, suddenly being back on the island with no explanation.
And also, doesn't the preview show too much? That Tonari will die is a given, but showing the maybe-how is a bit much... spoiler[but at least she would lie with more honor than Parona]
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Didn't care much about the kids' death, but then again, I don't feel like we were supposed to be crying tears over them, since they're not the focus of this arc. Still, I feel like their deaths could've had more impact if the direction and editing were stronger. Also, what was up with that light-hearted music when they were fighting the zombies? It felt so out of place.

The best part of the episode was definitely Fushi and Tonari's conversation in the cave. This arc may be a mess, but Tonari grew to become one of my favorite characters.

Yuvelir wrote:
Now, continuing like that, we had Tonari and Fushi's dialogues which seemed strangely out of character.

May I ask what was out of character about it?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Didn't care much about the kids' death, but then again, I don't feel like we were supposed to be crying tears over them, since they're not the focus of this arc. Still, I feel like their deaths could've had more impact if the direction and editing were stronger. Also, what was up with that light-hearted music when they were fighting the zombies? It felt so out of place.

The best part of the episode was definitely Fushi and Tonari's conversation in the cave. This arc may be a mess, but Tonari grew to become one of my favorite characters.

Would say the "light-hearted" music was meant to lull viewers into believing the heroic kids & Fushi were going to win out- till they didn't.

Tonari is that street-wise friend/sis, Fushi was in need of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14