• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Superstar!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:05 am Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
No comment about Keke literally worshipping the poster of her favorite idols? This girl is the living embodiment of everything goofy and campy about Love Live, and I love her for it.

Yeah kinda, I really sense that Keke will be like the Kasumi Nakasu of Love Live Superstar. Using funny antics to overshadow the main poster girl.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I think Keke x Kanon might be my new favorite ship for this franchise. These two have so much build up in just these three episodes, and they have a wonderful dynamic, with Keke being the funny one and Kanon the straight man of the duo. There have been pretty gay pairs in this franchise, but this one definitely has the best execution as far as I'm concerned(I never finished Sunshine, but I have seen the original[not including the movie] and Nijigasaki)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Green Luthor wrote:
sourpatchthekid wrote:
Mari does it too a couple times. It almost feels like they did in Sunshine just because someone did it in the 1st series.

That pretty much describes, like, 95% of everything in Sunshine, I think.

Late to the party... but yeah, Sunshine's deepest flaw is that it was never allowed to stand on its two feet. It was continually reduced to clingy worship of the Glory and Majesty that was the First Series.

That being said, I'm loving Superstar because it's so successfully managing the elements that define the franchise - while also being so joyfully entirely it's own thing.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I think you could make the argument that Superstar!! is the funniest Love Live! to date. OG and Sunshine!! had their moments of silliness, and I don’t begrudge Nijigasaki HSIC doing its own thing, but none of them made me laugh my ass off week in and week out like Superstar!! has been doing so far.
CrazyFrogZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Animation,plot and joke is the best in love live series so far.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
My favourite characters are always the gremlins and I'm happy Sumire has exceeded expectations. I like how they balanced her obsession with fame between silly and meaningful. She's such a fun character, I feel very validated that I picked her as my fave when the designs were first revealed.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sumire be like the combination of three past school idol's genes. Nico's desire to be center, Yoshiko's mysticism and Kasumi's arrogance.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
Bayuro2.0 wrote:
Sumire be like the combination of three past school idol's genes. Nico's desire to be center, Yoshiko's mysticism and Kasumi's arrogance.

And yohane's internet presence! Though Yohane is way more successful than Sumire online...
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
All of a sudden Keke and Sumire reminds me of Sanae Dekomori and Shinka Nibutani.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Keke and Sumire did turn out to have great a dynamic between them. And I guess Nicholas was right in it being set up in the difference between someone dedicated to school idols and one who is seeing it as a stepping stone to further success. That one wants to build an image up for attention, while the other already seems to have an idea of what idols are like and wants to give attention, which means they will clash. But they are both fun to watch.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
OK, I've seen a few episodes. It's not Love Live, it's Bang Dream... with a bit of "Sunny Pas? You mean Sunny Peace? Oh, Sunny Passion! That's completely different. [Later shows Sakura and Kotone expys as the Sunny Passion duo] That's not completely different."

So... going by the model of "forming the band" we won't get the entire group until the end. Here's the issue: It's an Idol group, not an ensemble so 2 work just as well as 5. Trying to get a bassist or drummer has a utter necessity to it that additional singers and dancers for an idol group just doesn't.

The animation is fantastic and I love the production design but the series composition was stolen from its rivals and the show creators don't understand how to apply to organically forming an idol group over an entire 12 episodes. Especially if the 5 girls are the ones seen in the opener. It's Love Live, She's the Student Council President against Idol Groups, by this point the story should be she doesn't join the group.

In the end, I like everything about the show except the show itself.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So... going by the model of "forming the band" we won't get the entire group until the end. Here's the issue: It's an Idol group, not an ensemble so 2 work just as well as 5. Trying to get a bassist or drummer has a utter necessity to it that additional singers and dancers for an idol group just doesn't.

So far, they’re following the same structure as the original show and Sunshine. Chisato should join next week, and we’ll get another concert scene. Then, the student council president should join around episode 8 or 9, and we’ll get the first full-group performance.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
the series composition was stolen from its rivals and the show creators don't understand how to apply to organically forming an idol group over an entire 12 episodes.

Pretty much a big fat "no" there mate... School Idol Project debuted in 2010 with the first anime airing in 2013. It used the exact same format that Superstar! is using.

BanG Dream! doesn't even get started until 2014...

As far as series composition and pacing goes, @merr covered that, so it suffices to say you're wrong there too.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright Love Live!, you've really gotta stop it with these breaks. For one, every other show this season is revving up for their season finales and you've just now hit the mid-season point. For another, all this coming and going is giving me trust issues. You're the show I've been most excited for this summer and every time I feel like you're back for good, you disappear for a week without a word. It's inconsiderate, stressful, and actively makes Mondays worse than they already are.

Blame the Olympics and Paralympics for that, not the show itself.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
I thought part of the problem was that the concert and the competition were happening on the same day? IDK, the fact that Kanon was able to rush back home to cheer up Chisato AND they were still able to run back to the island and do the concert kind of cheapened it for me. But I guess I shouldn't think that hard about it when they were also able to arrange the dance for 4 people and relearn their moves all in that time too. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4