• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World's End Harem Anime's Full Promo Video Unveils Theme Songs, More Staff, October Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
There's no way this is going to be that close to source material without a ton of edits. It pushes the line going pretty much into softcore. It might be airing on AT-X, but it's still going to heavily edited. That's going to kill the show as well because, let's be honest, the plot is pretty much paper thin with the manga. It's not what people are buying and reading it for. Most people are getting it for the material that is going to wind up edited out of the anime. The same for titles like Destiny Lovers, Parallel Paradise, or the Fantasy version of World's End.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Heh I'm reminded of Y: The Last Man especially since that shows trailer came out recently.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
So, is Crunchyroll going to drop this after Episode 3? (Note that the Crunchyroll buyout was announced only after Crunchyroll announced the license for this show back in CR Expo. This also goes with the assumption that Funimation will not shut down Crunchyroll next season).
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Heh I'm reminded of Y: The Last Man especially since that shows trailer came out recently.

Yeah timing is pretty funny... both shows about world with only few men in it come out back to back.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So Y: The Last Man if it were an Ecchi Harem show.

Definitely explicit enough...down to actual sex! While the male lead remains chaste for the girl who he's waiting for who looks particularly like the stoic girl he wakes up to.
TottoBennington

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
the pv already reeks of "not as sexy as the manga".
What's the point to an ecchi anime if the OG manga is sexier and prettier?
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
TottoBennington wrote:
the pv already reeks of "not as sexy as the manga".
What's the point to an ecchi anime if the OG manga is sexier and prettier?

I think the PV looks fine. The designs, color, and aesthetic all work well and look appealing.
Of course, the manga looks better when it comes to detail in the artwork. Expecting that level of detail in illustrations for an animation isn't really realistic.
I'm sure this series will do it's best as an anime. As fans, we can enjoy it alongside the manga!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
This also goes with the assumption that Funimation will not shut down Crunchyroll next season.

For starters Funimation doesn't own CR or have anything to do with what happens to it. That would be their shared parent company Sony. Considering what they just paid for CR I HIGHLY doubt Sony would simply turn around and shut them down. I know companies love to piss away their money but that would be an even higher level of stupidity to do that. Rebranding or altering is much more likely, if anything. That's all off topic though so I'll stop there.

BalmungHHQ wrote:

I think the PV looks fine. The designs, color, and aesthetic all work well and look appealing.
Of course, the manga looks better when it comes to detail in the artwork. Expecting that level of detail in illustrations for an animation isn't really realistic.
I'm sure this series will do it's best as an anime. As fans, we can enjoy it alongside the manga!

I would agree to PV looks fine in a vacuum by itself. The character designs are actually pretty nice as well. As far as enjoying it goes....yea I won't hold my breath. Taking a show like this and then editing it out the wazoo takes away the largest factor that many (as fans of the manga already) would watch the show for. Now I'm not saying they definitely will edit it heavily, but history paints a more probably picture with titles like this. That picture being wait for the BR release.

We'll wait and see. I don't think it would take more then 2 episodes to know for sure which way the winds are blowing once this comes out.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
This also goes with the assumption that Funimation will not shut down Crunchyroll next season.

For starters Funimation doesn't own CR or have anything to do with what happens to it. That would be their shared parent company Sony.

What? Isn't it Funimation who bought CR? This is just confusing. (And then again, this is relevant in the sense that Funi/Sony might compel CR to drop this show because CR changed owners from the time they acquire this show's license to the time they get to stream the show)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:55 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
What? Isn't it Funimation who bought CR?

That would be like saying the American TV Network ABC owns ESPN. They're both related but separate branches of the same conglomerate (in the case of my example, Disney).

The most likely scenario is that the Funi and CR will be pushed back into the relationship they once had (and to an extent still have): CR specializes in subbed content, while Funi streams the dubbed content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
There's no way this is going to be that close to source material without a ton of edits. It pushes the line going pretty much into softcore. It might be airing on AT-X, but it's still going to heavily edited. That's going to kill the show as well because, let's be honest, the plot is pretty much paper thin with the manga. It's not what people are buying and reading it for. Most people are getting it for the material that is going to wind up edited out of the anime. The same for titles like Destiny Lovers, Parallel Paradise, or the Fantasy version of World's End.

I'd rather wait for the uncensored version release and watch it there just like the volume release of the manga edition where you could see nudity and sex scenes there.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Yeah timing is pretty funny... both shows about world with only few men in it come out back to back.

Y: The Last Man is much better than World's End HArem, IMHO and Y will be release by next month in the US while WEH will be release in Japan by October.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

A similar thing is to be said about animated versions of "To Love-Ru: Darkness" minus the manga actually lacking intentional sex-type scenes.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
People had the same reservations when it came to Redo and Healer and look at how that series turned out. The uncensored version was even more explicit than the manga in some areas and it also ended up being one of the best selling titles for the season. I say we wait and see before writing it off. If nothing else, it will help promote the manga and get new people into it.

ericarreza wrote:
Y: The Last Man is much better than World's End HArem, IMHO and Y will be release by next month in the US while WEH will be release in Japan by October.

As a fan of Y the Last Man back in the day (hence the name) I would recommend reading the comic if someone is interested in it because I guarantee that show is going to be very heavily altered and censored as well, and not just in terms of maybe not showing Yorick's penis or women chopping off their boobs. There is no way a series like that goes by without massive alterations in 2021 America. We already have confirmation the show is making some pretty huge changes from the comic already.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

For starters Funimation doesn't own CR or have anything to do with what happens to it. That would be their shared parent company Sony. Considering what they just paid for CR I HIGHLY doubt Sony would simply turn around and shut them down. I know companies love to piss away their money but that would be an even higher level of stupidity to do that. Rebranding or altering is much more likely, if anything. That's all off topic though so I'll stop there.

False. CR is being added to the Funimation Global Group, so yes, they will be under the Funi banner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2