• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I was dreading this part being animated and I was right to cause that hurt so much. Pioran's death is by far one of the worst because Fushi had to watch the person he loved slowly disappear and there was nothing he could do about it.

The cruelty of his entire existence became obvious in this episode because not only did he lose Pioran but he saw something he'll never have and that's a peaceful end to a fulfilling life. Just the fact that he's a being created with the ability to understand & experience a human life without being able to truly belong with humanity is crushing.

This was a brilliant adaptation that took the story of the manga to another level with its gorgeous art & beautiful soundtrack. The Jananda Island Arc wasn't great for all the reasons pointed out by James and there was definitely a decrease in animation quality in the middle but other than that... this was just so heartbreakingly beautiful.

Fushi is the perfect vessel for human nature - having started as a featureless orb, he became what he observed, slowly climbing the ladder of consciousness. However, through the people he met, he learned what it means to be human, and after many years of experiencing life as a person, he became one, truly. I think that last bit is the most genius achievement of the writing - he became not only a reflection, or an echo of those around him, but truly and really his own person. That is commendable for it is hard to sell.

And with being a person, there comes the joys and sorrows of life. The beauty of those moments we share together, and the despair of those moments when we must part. Fushi, being immortal, is doomed to see more of both than any human being could in a lifetime. How will that change him? Will he be able to carry his memories of everyone to the end of time? We will find out next season.

Last edited by Zeino on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Perfect end to an uneven but compelling serIes, one of the very best episodes of the series. And a sharp, painful look at dementia. Pioran’s dementia, her interaction with the beholder and her death were all very moving as was Fushi’s grief. An uneven show, but at its best a truly fine one. Looking forward to season 2.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I got pretty emotional when I saw that the girl walking on the beach in the OP was, in fact, Pioran. Maybe other anime-onlys caught onto that before this but I didn't, and it hit me.

This series wasn't even on my radar back when it started airing but I saw the early reactions and decided to give it a shot and I sure am happy I did. While I understand the criticisms of the Jananda arc, I still enjoyed it almost as much as everything else.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
...This series wasn't even on my radar back when it started airing...

For a lot of us TYE likely was not on our "radar" until we learned that it was by the same author as Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) - who does not love, or at least respect that movie?
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Florete wrote:
...This series wasn't even on my radar back when it started airing...

For a lot of us TYE likely was not on our "radar" until we learned that it was by the same author as Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) - who does not love, or at least respect that movie?

Me. Haven't seen it, don't plan to.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the last episode was a return to form for To Your Eternity. This one almost hit as hard as the first arc but for a very different reason. At the beginning of the story, we have the passing of a young boy whose name we don't even know, the beginning and end of his story imparted to us in a matter of minutes. Here we have the passing of an old woman, whose presence in nearly all episodes of the entire series is almost an analogy to her living a long life, in contrast with all the early deaths that we've witnessed before hers.

That her final wish is to be reborn as something useful to somebody else speaks to me as a testament to a life which, though not perfect, is fully lived. To me it's in opposition to the wish of the nameless boy, "to not be forgotten", which to me says that he feels he hasn't done enough with his life for others to remember him.

All in all, this run of TYE has been disappointing at times, but this ending at least makes me hopeful for that coming 2nd season.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Me. Haven't seen it, don't plan to.

Fair enough if the genre Koe no Katachi fits into is of no interest to you.

I would recommend that others that have a different set of what interests them watch the movie, but that is likely redundant as most people who read these comments already will have done so.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Boy, that last shot, of him decades older, laughing. It sure did offset the watery eyes I had for most of the back end of the episode. I'm looking forward to the second season, now more than ever...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, after how low the Jananda arc was, I really didn't expect this level of... perfection for Pioran and the last episode. It was endearing to see Fushi constantly failing at parting ways, and his cares to the last moments.
Although it was a bit weird that after all this he went back to his pre-Jananda times of "I must stay away from everyone" and actually stuck to it for decades.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14