• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Young Animal Magazine: No Information to Share on Berserk Manga's Future

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
At some point, they will have to make a decision. There are obviously going to be differing opinions on what to do, but no answer won't satisfy anyone. I don't know if the publisher is waiting on something specific before deciding, but I'm starting to get the impression that they might stop here without officially announcing that.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
I hope whatever they decide to do is in respect to Miura.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
I think the answer has already been reached, they just don't want to disappoint anyone hoping for a continuation with a blunt "It's not going to happen."
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This latest chapter is just pain on every level. Miura will be sorely missed. What a brilliant mind and unrivaled artist.
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
They should not continue Berserk. The manga after the GA arc is already a miss for a good amount of people including myself, if the publishers were to somehow continue and end up [expletive] up the manga, the aftertaste would be extremely bitter.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me they are still not sure what to do.

However this i do know. Weather they end it or continue it, i hope at the very least they announce what they will do it, people have been following this series for over 30 years or close to it.

At the very least they owe the fandom to announce their decision after they decide and not leave everyone in the dark.

Condolences to the author and his family and friends.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
A Berserk without Miura is not a Berserk I want.

It just won't be the same without him, his art, thought process and general being.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
They should not continue Berserk. The manga after the GA arc is already a miss for a good amount of people including myself, if the publishers were to somehow continue and end up [expletive] up the manga, the aftertaste would be extremely bitter.

Fantastic wording. I suppose 10 people are technically a "good amount of people." Berserk was always more than the GA arc (propped up by the Eclipse, which made people just want that for the next 200 chapters).

Regardless, whatever they end up doing, I'll still support it. What I do want is some clarity. The worst case scenario would be an extended period of time with no decision.
K'un Lun Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I’m grateful that we’re getting one more volume of story, but very much on the fence about if the series ought to continue on without Miura. While closure would be nice, such efforts tend to fall way short of the original material (like posthumous attempts to “finish” the works of Douglas Adams and Frank Herbert). The only time I’ve seen it come close was with the Wheel of Time books (which was largely because Robert Jordan kept a butt-ton of notes regarding how he wanted it to end).
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
From an editorial standpoint, I think Hakusensha as its publisher would be hoping that Berserk could continue. It's one of their most successful titles. Personally, I also think that's what's most likely to happen. Especially since Miura-sensei would also wish to provide work for his assistants at Studio Gaga.

The question would be how.

Whether happens now basically depends on whatever the remaining staff at Studio Gaga will choose to do from now on.

My guess is that they'll indeed start a new series that would be the continuation of Berserk but not in the near future. They'll definitely need time and heart to prep.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It would be either extreme confidence, money grabbing, or both to try to continue it, and I can't see an attempt at continuation going well.

I wonder how much supplemental material they have on-hand that describes future events or additional background information. It would be interesting to see what they have, at least.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
The most obvious thing to do is end it. But a company will be a company, so just change the title to "Berserk: Alter" to represent a alternate route after the recent chapter for the story if they decide to continue it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1