• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Otherside Picnic GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
I've read the novels that have been released in the US, and have now read this volume of the manga adaptation.

The manga adaptation is much better (as well as being more faithful to the original) than the anime adaptation, I think. I think it even does a better job portraying the creatures of the Otherside.

There is even something extra for double (triple?) dippers like me: there's a (text) short story centered on Kozakura as an epilog to this manga volume. If nothing else, it explains Kozakura's predilection for hot cola, as well as shedding some light on Kozakura's relationship with Satsuki and Toriko.

Quote:
Otherside Picnic (the title itself a reference to a Russian novel) is a more successfully dark take on the genre than any number of grimdark fantasy interpretations, because it not only truly does something a little bit different than the norm, but it also takes intentionally scary things that take on lives of their own online as its inspiration

This is a very good point, and suggests that fans of various parts of the Boogiepop series may want to check this out --- I think the series is not as cryptic as Boogiepop.

The Russian novel, incidentally, is Roadside Picnic, adapted into Tarkovsky's film Stalker. In this volume of the manga Sorawo and Toriko encounter someone on the Otherside who refers to the Otherside as "The Zone" (the terminology used in Roadside Picnic), who has adopted the Stalker practice of tossing bolts ahead of themselves to detect "glitches" in their path.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I really should get around to reading the manga. The anime really disappointed me and pretty much the whole time I was thinking "man this probably works a lot better in novel form". A lot of things felt rushed and the rearranging of chapters didn't help. While I don't know if I'll end up reading the novels, the manga seems like a good choice as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1