• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Progressive Film's Trailer Previews Theme Song, Highlights Asuna, Mito's Rela

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Visually it looks phenomenal but I'm really scratching my brain behind the inclusion of Mito and re-writing volume 1 of Progressive to give Asuna more screentime with an OC.

Like Asuna has this school friend who we've never heard about who helped get her into SAO and then was with her through floor 1 up until the boss fight where she presumably died and left Asuna grief-stricken? Even though she's never mentioned her before?

And what about the interaction between Kirito and Asuna? That's supposed be 50% of what Progressive is about? Why are we seemingly seeing more of Asuna with an OC than we are actually seeing Kirito and Asuna together?

Like is Mito's inclusion going to mean Argo's not in it at all even though this is supposed to be where Argo finally becomes a prominent character?
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
Kawahara is credited for "story draft" so I assume he has some level of supervision over the film's plot, and if he thinks we should learn more about Asuna's extremely uninteresting home situation and her never-seen-before IRL friend, then I suppose there is a reason for it. Hopefully.

No trace of Argo, doesn't even have a VA announced yet. Oh well. (Btw, why is Silica's VA listed in the cast list? Above Diavel's and Kibaou's, no less! I don't remember her appearing in vol 1. Even if she just makes a cameo appearance, why the high placement in the cast list?)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Kawahara is credited for "story draft" so I assume he has some level of supervision over the film's plot, and if he thinks we should learn more about Asuna's extremely uninteresting home situation and her never-seen-before IRL friend, then I suppose there is a reason for it. Hopefully.

Well, if Kawahara is supervising and approved it, I'll have to hope for the best.

To be honest I always got the impression from the novels (and the Progressive manga) that because of how sheltered and razor-focused on studying Asuna was that she never had a real friend before she ended up in SAO.

I wonder if we'll finally see her brother on-screen.
Quote:
No trace of Argo, doesn't even have a VA announced yet. Oh well. (Btw, why is Silica's VA listed in the cast list? Above Diavel's and Kibaou's, no less! I don't remember her appearing in vol 1. Even if she just makes a cameo appearance, why the high placement in the cast list?)

I was assuming they would keep Lisbeth and Silica's cameos like in the first episode. I guess she would also appear before Diavel and Kibaou are relevant so that might be why she's ahead of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1