• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Superstar!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I thought part of the problem was that the concert and the competition were happening on the same day? IDK, the fact that Kanon was able to rush back home to cheer up Chisato AND they were still able to run back to the island and do the concert kind of cheapened it for me. But I guess I shouldn't think that hard about it when they were also able to arrange the dance for 4 people and relearn their moves all in that time too. Laughing

Well... Welcome to the world of anime where everything is possible like teleportation on this slice of life anime.

Not exactly teleportation, I remember a scene from the first Love Live where Honoka and the rest of the group are near the Akihabara Takarada Musen then suddenly they heard Rin shouted "sugoi nya!" Then it turns out that Rin and Hanayo are inside an Idol shop located several blocks away where Honoka and the rest of the group are located.

Back to your topic. I speculated that at the time Kanon ask Yuna a request, she probably ask to postpone their concert so Chisato can join them.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm more curious about what this implies about Ren's relationship with the school. Before the anime, the stated backstory of Yuigaoka is that after it shut down but before the building was demolished a "local celebrity" purchased it, reopening the institution.

It's pretty much confirmed now that the local celebrity was Ren's mother, isn't it? I mean, she was a student in the previous iteration of the school, so she obviously didn't have a role in funding that one. And if you are now telling me that said mother is dead, Ren's father is gone, and her monetary issues are trouble for the school... does that mean Ren owns the school now? Wow, Mari becoming director has nothing on that girl!
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
what if ren's mother had been a school idol

anyway
This was another fun episode. Keke's utter lack of enthusiasm towards Sumire was so good, especially her "ok good" response when she finished filming the terrible campaign video.
also the illegal school idol gag was great. Ren's VA sounded like she was having fun.

Also the principal enjoying some takoyaki before shutting it down was pretty great.

I'm hoping they handle the school funding issue in a way different to other series...just want some adults to step in and say "hey it's ok the school's got enough funding so don't worry"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the extra details like the school just apparently starting back up, I must have missed those sorts of things. I guess I now understand better the elements like Ren being asked about the fact she would have to run, if it just starting had put her in the defacto position of student president. And it sort of changes how her family finances might relate to the position of the school, over the "save the school" plots of the first two series.

Whether a lot of her family's finances had been placed in reviving the school, after losing her mother, and what that might mean in wanting certain standards for said school.

harminia wrote:
This was another fun episode. Keke's utter lack of enthusiasm towards Sumire was so good, especially her "ok good" response when she finished filming the terrible campaign video.
also the illegal school idol gag was great. Ren's VA sounded like she was having fun.

Also the principal enjoying some takoyaki before shutting it down was pretty great.

I'm hoping they handle the school funding issue in a way different to other series...just want some adults to step in and say "hey it's ok the school's got enough funding so don't worry"

Those parts were all good.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

That scene is funny tho.

Does anybody noticed that she was at the album that Kanon had uncovered? She was with Ren's mother and that's obviously enough they're classmates back then.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the emotions of this episode hit me enough compared to other LL seasons. Ignoring the fact it was all really obvious, because LL is not a show that has subtle storylines, it just felt like it was handled odd. I was really ???? when they all started clapping at the end of the assembly. Plus, imagine being in the crowd and having no context for any of this and wondering what the hell is going on.

The animation during the song was very nice, especially Kanon's expression during the wiping away tears part.
Overall probably my least favourite ep of the series so far, but it did what it needed to do. I hope Ren gets a chance to show more of a personality now.

Also damn, school closure is an epidemic in Japan huh. School idols having to save their school is up there with like those articles about some kind civilian who did something that really the government should've taken care of ages ago.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
"Liella" actually comes from two French words, not just one: "lier", which means "to link" and "brillante", which means "shining". The reason why they only mentioned "lier" in the episode itself it's likely because it's the most significant of the two. The "Yui" in Yuigaoka also means "link".
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, the theme for the naming contest was "link/connections".

This was such a fun episode. I really enjoyed the characters getting to really go all out on their personalities, and that sumire was almost the most sensible person in the group.

Ren's zoom icon was so good.
I also loved the fact Keke said there have been a lot of school idol groups that have saved their school through their activities. Is keeping schools open such a difficult thing in Japan? It sounds like education really needs more funding.
Also the shout out to u's being a legendary group who got their name by opening suggestions was pretty fun.
No groups were ever specifically mentioned but you just knew who Keke was talking about.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Also the shout out to u's being a legendary group who got their name by opening suggestions was pretty fun.
No groups were ever specifically mentioned but you just knew who Keke was talking about.

I loved how subtle they were about it... Sunshine was deeply flawed in that it never let Aquors stand on their own two feet - seems they couldn't go two episodes without somebody swooning over u's or reminding us how incredible they were. Superstar on the other hand is content to allow Liella! to exist on their own terms.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Ren's zoom icon was so good.

Seeing Ren not getting in touch with the reality of modern technology is the cutest thing I've ever seen from her.

During the last part of episode 9 it's amazing that Keke had already prepared a billboard tarp with their group name Liella written on it just minutes after Kanon mentioned about their group name to the rest of the group.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
harminia wrote:

Sunshine was deeply flawed in that it never let Aquors stand on their own two feet - seems they couldn't go two episodes without somebody swooning over u's or reminding us how incredible they were.

That's only true for the first two thirds of Season 1 of Sunshine. After that they had an entire episode dedicated to Aquors realizing that this attitude was mistaken and deciding to stop chasing u's. The fangirling over their predecessors stopped after this point.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
Sunshine was deeply flawed in that it never let Aquors stand on their own two feet - seems they couldn't go two episodes without somebody swooning over u's or reminding us how incredible they were.

That's only true for the first two thirds of Season 1 of Sunshine. After that they had an entire episode dedicated to Aquors realizing that this attitude was mistaken and deciding to stop chasing u's. The fangirling over their predecessors stopped after this point.

Yeah, I felt like they stepped out of the shadow partway through season 1. There was that scene that showed the place the u's poster used to be that showed how they had moved on.

Bayuro2.0 wrote:
During the last part of episode 9 it's amazing that Keke had already prepared a billboard tarp with their group name Liella written on it just minutes after Kanon mentioned about their group name to the rest of the group.

It made me think of those magic tricks where the magician writes down stuff like a random word and star sign and puts it in an envelope then invites someone from the audience and they end up saying the exact same word and having the exact star sign the magician had written lol
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm yeah when I saw the princess dress I was like "that's not a very rap outfit". I love the song and it's the best one to come from the anime so far (and the video clip was so absolutely completely totally my aesthetic) but it's not very rap. I think Aqours did a better rap in one of their recent songs lol
I'm hoping the full version has a bit more rap in it (but even if it doesn't I will enjoy it immensely. First Liella song that'll be added to my LL playlist)

I'm glad Keke is finally being nicer to Sumire because her treatment was just getting to bitchy for no reason levels. I'd like them to keep up the friends but not friends dynamic, but just with less Keke ragging on sumire completely unprovoked.

When they announced "rap" as the song theme I made an odd noise, sort of a mixture of "OH!", a cough and a laugh.
Also happy to see the love live host again.

Also I feel kinda bad that I look like I'm double posting
People please post more I look like a rabid fan (I am)
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Hmm yeah when I saw the princess dress I was like "that's not a very rap outfit". I love the song and it's the best one to come from the anime so far (and the video clip was so absolutely completely totally my aesthetic) but it's not very rap. I think Aqours did a better rap in one of their recent songs lol
I'm hoping the full version has a bit more rap in it (but even if it doesn't I will enjoy it immensely. First Liella song that'll be added to my LL playlist)

I'm glad Keke is finally being nicer to Sumire because her treatment was just getting to bitchy for no reason levels. I'd like them to keep up the friends but not friends dynamic, but just with less Keke ragging on sumire completely unprovoked.

When they announced "rap" as the song theme I made an odd noise, sort of a mixture of "OH!", a cough and a laugh.
Also happy to see the love live host again.

Also I feel kinda bad that I look like I'm double posting
People please post more I look like a rabid fan (I am)

Sumire's dress and their song seems not quite appropriate for rap. It looks like just another mainstream Love Live music video. They should learn how to rap from Franchouchou of Zombie Land Saga.

About Keke and Sumire, I ship those two like Shinka x Dekomori. I love their love/hate relationship.

About the Love Live host, yes I remember her. I think the most memorable moment of her throughout the whole Love Live history is when she snubbed Nico's "Nico-nico-nii!".
lomez

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though in a twist to formula, the performances are all remotely streamed rather than in-person, because even Love Live! couldn't escape the near-death of live music in the last 20 months.

Other than Superstar I have only watched the original, but wasn't every performance for the contest in it also just submitted as an uploaded video except for the finals?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4