• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Japanese Accused of Uploading 1,000s of Anime Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not like we should care right? We're against all forms of fansubbery on ANN right? We only care about a show when properly licensed and released, right? Yes, good, on we go.
Winnuting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The thing I thought was cool is they can download for private use Cool
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing against people who download fansubs of the latest airings from Japan as long as they still contribute to the Anime industry by buying, not downloading what is available to them legally from licenced DVD's... but if a crack down on illegal downloading/uploading means a better outlook for the anime industry then I'd be happy... but I don't think it will ever be that effective.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Once again,It's Winny.They deserve to get caught for being ill informed.Or they pressed their luck by the 1000th ep.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Not like we should care right? We're against all forms of fansubbery on ANN right? We only care about a show when properly licensed and released, right? Yes, good, on we go.

Well, unless the ANN staff are all fluent in Japanese and fly to Japan to watch broadcasts on TV, then I'm pretty sure the Spring and Fall Anime Preview feature is written based on Fansub showings.

In fact, I owe thanks to that guide as to what anime I will be watching (and subsequently buying in R1)

mk2000
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
As a man who won't deny of having downloaded fansubs (don't worry, I don't do the subbing. All I do is just download them to watch them for fun. Somewhat in that ruling of downloading for private use), I understand the issue here. I just make sure I don't get caught by the authorities for downloading copyrighted
perpetual159

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:
BluMeino wrote:

Well, unless the ANN staff are all fluent in Japanese and fly to Japan to watch broadcasts on TV, then I'm pretty sure the Spring and Fall Anime Preview feature is written based on Fansub showings.

In fact, I owe thanks to that guide as to what anime I will be watching (and subsequently buying in R1)

mk2000

HAHA... Ain't that something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually ANN does have staff located in Japan who also, of course, speak Japanese. The staff and contributors are not centralized to one specific location. ANN actually has a pretty good showing globally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
what I am most confused about is how they are accusing him of things way back to 2003, there has never been a situated where someone accused of uploading something had everything he ever done thrown right back in his face, unless they had there own site and kept track of all there activities from launch date but they are using a standard p2p client, perhaps they did some interrogation's to get it out of them or something.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually the technology to backtrack pretty much everything a person does on the Internet exists. It's not like no one can do it, typically no one bothers outside of a serious criminal case. With the amount of damage illegal downloads are doing to the anime industry, the situation is now being taken a tad bit more serious.

Truthfully, nothing you do on the Internet is private. Nothing. If someone really wants the information, they can find it.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:

NOT EVEN GOING THERE WITH THAT FANSUBBERY ARGUMENT.

But you know... Everybody's talking about all the damage that had been done to the anime industry because the innernets. How about, for once, we talk about the good it does.

Like: How it "lifts the hood of secrecy."

Have we forgotten that Japan's anime industry is also capable of creating crap? They complain that they're losing money, but is most of what they make worth the money? Or are they just making crap to keep their stars and keep people working?

As much as I feel sorry for hard-working people and as much as I understand the situation: Their priorities needed to be refreshed a long time ago. It's about time they stopped catering to the people they can't get money from; and instead start making shows for people who do have money (as well as working brain cells).

Yeah. They need to stop keeping people down with their animated garbage; selling hopelessness to the hopeless, and start making shows about hope. (And I ain't talking about that Gainax show with the robot and its drill.)
fxg97873

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Actually ANN does have staff located in Japan who also, of course, speak Japanese. The staff and contributors are not centralized to one specific location. ANN actually has a pretty good showing globally.

Oh definitely. ANN has some very talented staff but the last couple of Anime Spring and Fall features have participating staff that wouldn't be able to order a sandwich in Japanese.

As I said though, apart from Shelf Life, those previews are my absolute favorite piece of writing from ANN during the year.

mk2000
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:

Oh definitely. ANN has some very talented staff but the last couple of Anime Spring and Fall features have participating staff that wouldn't be able to order a sandwich in Japanese.

And you know this how?

For those of you that enjoy the preview features, we have a very exciting new way of doing the preview this year and I hope it works out. It's going to be somewhat grueling for the writers (who don't even know what I'm talking about yet! Smile ) but the reward should be tenfold for everyone involved, especially you, the readers.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:

The above statement is the most untrue statement I have ever heard in my entire life. XP
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Good or bad, ANN is dependant upon fansubs. Much of it's traffic is from those watching fansubs. Take away the fansubs, and people will have less reason to visit the site. And then there are columns such as Buried Treasure/Garbage which mention fansubs.

The simple solution to get rid of the fansub downloaders is to get rid of the fansub groups. Without the groups, there's nothing to download and those downloading fansubs will stop. Of course, much of the anime buying might also stop since many titles will go unnoticed. But they can't seriously go after the downloaders until they make some effort to stop the fansub groups. And until then, they can make no legal recourse against downloaders. (And suing your customers isn't smart business.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6