• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightoffire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
If you enjoyed episode 23, then you would probably enjoy Chibi Revengers. It's too bad crunchyroll doesn't have it. I enjoyed Chibi Revengers more than the actual anime sometimes. It was nice to see all the in between scenes that we didn't get to see in the main story. But even Chibi Revengers threw in some angsty episodes (like the one with Ghost Baji) because TR always gotta have angst Very Happy

And all the side stories that came with the DVDs fleshed out the characters some more. Those side stories are really good and I wish they had made them into OVAs instead.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if Takemichi deserves to be made the new 1st divison captain but I can see why Chifuyu wanted him in the position and the rest of the main Toman founders probably respect him enough to give it to him even if he's woefully unqualified for it.

Although I guess it did nab him a better life in the future, albeit as a criminal, so I guess it ends up working out for him.

I really wonder what Kisaki's deal is because it's one thing to give a sob story to manipulate the two just so he can kill Chifuyu for being a leak but his reaction to Takemichi felt kind of weird. I mean, his looks at Takemichi have always been kind of weird but here he seems really disappointed and surprised at how off he sees Takemichi as acting, like he was expecting something more. And then he calls Takemichi his "hero" and cries like he was hoping Takemichi could stop him.

They sure knew the perfect cliffhanger to close this season out with a bang.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm not sure if Takemichi deserves to be made the new 1st divison captain but I can see why Chifuyu wanted him in the position and the rest of the main Toman founders probably respect him enough to give it to him even if he's woefully unqualified for it.

It's a middle school gang what qualifications does he really need? I mean we could make up any qualifications we want but as long as people are willing to follow him (and we have seen that they will) that's all that really matters.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the usual qualifications are: can beat other people up really good.

Maybe with the secondary clause: doesn't forget own age when traveling through time, or get the person he traveled back to save killed instead. And the tertiary: doesn't forget purpose of time travel was to save beloved ex-girlfriend, who he is now time-travel-dating again, every time an attractive woman propositions younger him.

But Takemichi has that one truest of powers: is main character. So, I suppose his captainship should feel natural and earned. Razz
nightoffire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
For anyone interested, volume 9, chapter 74 is where you can start the manga.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if someone already pointed this out but I just remembered: wasn't it stated the first couple of times that Takemichi returned to the present that his present-time body stays in a comatose state while he's in the past? But in this episode (and in some other instances) when he returns to the present we see him just walking normally.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
Sorry if someone already pointed this out but I just remembered: wasn't it stated the first couple of times that Takemichi returned to the present that his present-time body stays in a comatose state while he's in the past? But in this episode (and in some other instances) when he returns to the present we see him just walking normally.

That occurs whenever there is a significant change in the timeline.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If I were to guess why we didn't have a season 2 announcement, it's because it would have ruined the horror-like atmosphere the finale had.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I really wonder what Kisaki's deal is because it's one thing to give a sob story to manipulate the two just so he can kill Chifuyu for being a leak but his reaction to Takemichi felt kind of weird. I mean, his looks at Takemichi have always been kind of weird but here he seems really disappointed and surprised at how off he sees Takemichi as acting, like he was expecting something more. And then he calls Takemichi his "hero" and cries like he was hoping Takemichi could stop him.

My guess is that at some point, Kisaki started to see Takemichi as a hero, as he did with Mikey.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I put this series on pause twice, so I definitely agree it had it's ups and downs, but I'm still looking forward to a 3rd season after that cliffhanger!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9