• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: +Ultra, Crunchyroll Partner for New Anime Works by Code Geass, Sidonia Creators

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope that when crunchyroll advertises this work on their website or twitter, they will remember to include the other members of the partnership.

I still remember how funimarion announced Heike Story.

Anyway, I like the director and the studio (Yes, I like Polygon).
Madster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I assume this deal happened before the Sony acquisition? There's not much to say really, I'm not getting my hopes up but I won't immediately rule it out.

What I do find strange is Crunchyroll's weird way of announcing original productions out of the blue. This, the Idris Alba anime, the WWE anime, the Zoe Saldana anime: You'd think they would save them for CRX or another big anime event.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Madster wrote:
I assume this deal happened before the Sony acquisition? There's not much to say really, I'm not getting my hopes up but I won't immediately rule it out.

What I do find strange is Crunchyroll's weird way of announcing original productions out of the blue. This, the Idris Alba anime, the WWE anime, the Zoe Saldana anime: You'd think they would save them for CRX or another big anime event.

Well, this is a 2/3 anime from Japanese producers, they might have thought it wasn't that important since they aren't the main ones.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny that +Ultra is meant to be more global-minded, considering its first anime is incredibly Japanese and difficult to follow for those not familiar with the Tale of the Heike.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Funny that +Ultra is meant to be more global-minded, considering its first anime is incredibly Japanese and difficult to follow for those not familiar with the Tale of the Heike.

lol

This block anime has been around for some time, it wasn't created because of Heike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2BUltra
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
lol

This block anime has been around for some time, it wasn't created because of Heike.

The point still stands based on their comment, but thanks for the pointless and pedantic factoid.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Changeman wrote:
lol

The point still stands based on their comment, but thanks for the pointless and pedantic factoid.

My intention was not that, but just show that this block anime had already produced animes like Carole & Tuesday, Beastars and Great Pretender. From your text you seemed unaware of this.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Mecha show…better be worth it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
What I really want to know if this means that Funimation is not killing the Crunchyroll brand.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
This is going to be interesting to see as the integration into Sony proper begins.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wha—and here it was, I always thought +Ultra was a Netflix-exclusive/bankrolled effort!! This is pretty big and significant get for CR, though I guess Fuji TV is continuing their not-so-exclusive-forever deals, where it sounds like noitaminA is going to be affixed to one place or partner, then they are suddenly elsewhere a few years later…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for anything Taniguchi related. Nihei teaming up with Poly again feels like a slap in the face when they decided to end SnK with a anime original story. How do you end SnK like that?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
Polygon Pictures = automatic ignore.

I dunno how producers keep getting convinced that Western audiences actually like the output from this studio. Maybe large numbers end up watching because they always get to adapt the coolest material, even if it ends up unenjoyable and looking like digital doggie poo, (not to be confused with the film Doggy Poo which is actually good.)
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

I dunno how producers keep getting convinced that Western audiences actually like the output from this studio. Maybe large numbers end up watching because they always get to adapt the coolest material, even if it ends up unenjoyable and looking like digital doggie poo, (not to be confused with the film Doggy Poo which is actually good.)

This is an aggressively dumb hot take. Just say you don't like the studio and move on. Polygon pictures has their fans.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

This is an aggressively dumb hot take. Just say you don't like the studio and move on. Polygon pictures has their fans.

It’s more than personally not liking it though. Polygon Pictures has a reputation for such quality that it’s become a meme like the Hand Shakers anime. It’s interesting and worth examining that they’ve been selected in a Japanese TV block specifically “targeting a Western audience”, when the reputation they have among fandom in the west could at worst be described as a running joke, and at best described as polarizing.

I read in an interview a while back that one of the Polygon producers developed a friendly relationship with a Netflix exec at some trade event, (it might have been Tokyo International Anime Fair,) and that’s what started the frequent partnerships between those two companies. So it would be ironic if that happenstance were the impetus now for a JP network to associate the studio with western audiences. That can only be speculated though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2