• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rich Police Cash! Anime Premieres on YouTube

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
For American audiences this is a horrible premise on so many levels.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this only looks a couple steps up from a motion comic. I may watch it if it gets english subs though
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kouhai-chan is cute.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about this anime. A cop who throws money around to solve mysteries? I can't believe anyone dreamed this up. Here's the thing. Most cops in real life don't make a lot of money. And,here's this guy throwing around money like it's water? How did this guy get on the force in the first place? There are those things that make it very difficult to suspend disbelief in them. This is one of them.
I don't know how real cops are going to feel about this but,to me,I think it's just dumb. I can't see this lasting long at all.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm not sure about this anime. A cop who throws money around to solve mysteries? I can't believe anyone dreamed this up. Here's the thing. Most cops in real life don't make a lot of money. And,here's this guy throwing around money like it's water? How did this guy get on the force in the first place? There are those things that make it very difficult to suspend disbelief in them. This is one of them.
I don't know how real cops are going to feel about this but,to me,I think it's just dumb. I can't see this lasting long at all.

Honestly I don't think you're supposed to apply any logic to this, it's def trying to be a comedy and on top of that it's aimed at kids (it's being produced by and the manga runs in Coro Coro after all)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well,MagicPolly. I don't know that even kids would believe something like this. Most kids would probably be asking "How the heck did this guy make all this money?" Now,I know that in law enforcement,there are people from wealthy backgrounds who do this job. But,this guy throws around money like it's going out of style. Yeah,I know it's trying to be a comedy,but it's a bit too outlandish,even for kids. I'm sorry to say this but most people,including kids are going to look at this and say "What the heck is this?" It's just too hard for most people to believe and that includes children.
XSp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Huh... so a more over the top short anime SD version of Millionaire Detective Balance: Unlimited, right? Same character types, more focused on the jokes.
Weird that two titles come out with the same general theme in such a short time... is it linked to something on modern japanese pop culture that I dunno about?
Kinda curious to understand where this type of idea comes out from.

Is it some innocent extension of Richie Rich kinda story, or something more insidious around the idea that giving unlimited money to policemen or police force would enable them to magically solve all crimes?

The usual trope is a detective agency or a single detective that is always cash strapped or underestimated inside it's own institution somehow, but they get to solve the most important stuff under the hood...

Perhaps this is some sort of reversal of it, for the jokes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1