• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Edens Zero Franchise's Staff: 'Shiki's Adventure Will Continue'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
Did anyone really expect it not to? Big Shonen anime these days just like to do these 2 cour blocks at a time instead of running a long time like the old days.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Did anyone really expect it not to? Big Shonen anime these days just like to do these 2 cour blocks at a time instead of running a long time like the old days.

When the director passes away, there's going to be some natural concern. I suppose the thought process here was that it's better to soldier on.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

That, and there was that "teaser" for the next arc that they stuck at the end of the finale. And by "teaser", I mean a wordless montage of some of the manga's biggest shockers involving the hero and heroine, the current season's main villain, and the hero's robot grandfather (the "Igneel" of the story, if you will), with only bare minimum of context. You manga readers here know what I'm talking about.

All that said, it's heartening to know that even with Suzuki's death, the staff is also looking forward with the project. But not only do I worry given that the cause of death hasn't been reported, but I'm sure the episodes that aired after Suzuki's death (some of which were directed by Suzuki himself) must have been haunting for the crew, given their content.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Did anyone really expect it not to? Big Shonen anime these days just like to do these 2 cour blocks at a time instead of running a long time like in the old days.
i rather have them do 2 cour blocks so we get better quality and less filler shown in MHA and Edens Zero. Black clover , Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach etc suffered all from quality issues. Dont take me wrong i like them. But for exampleif they had more time Fairy Tail last seasons would've looked much better than at times playing a slide show.
Matros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:
Did anyone really expect it not to? Big Shonen anime these days just like to do these 2 cour blocks at a time instead of running a long time like in the old days.
i rather have them do 2 cour blocks so we get better quality and less filler shown in MHA and Edens Zero. Black clover , Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach etc suffered all from quality issues. Dont take me wrong i like them. But for exampleif they had more time Fairy Tail last seasons would've looked much better than at times playing a slide show.

Considering that MHA had lots of production issues during S5 you shouldn't take the seasonal format at face value. According to some animators some later episodes were finished last minute. Seasonal stopped being a guarantee for consistent quality a long time ago. And while Edens Zero was well produced it wasn't devoid of limited animation either. On the other side of the coin long runners like Boruto and One Piece show that you can have consistent and ambitious production values on a regular basis too. A notable animator said that seasonal shows nowadays tend to have tigher schedules in comparison. It's not black and white like it used to be in the past.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Considering that MHA had lots of production issues during S5 you shouldn't take the seasonal format at face value. According to some animators some later episodes were finished last minute. Seasonal stopped being a guarantee for consistent quality a long time ago. And while Edens Zero was well produced it wasn't devoid of limited animation either. On the other side of the coin long runners like Boruto and One Piece show that you can have consistent and ambitious production values on a regular basis too. A notable animator said that seasonal shows nowadays tend to have tigher schedules in comparison. It's not black and white like it used to be in the past.

Another thing to consider: Just because the animators aren't working on Edens Zero between seasons, doesn't mean they aren't working on other stuff in those gaps. It's always a nonstop process, they just aren't constantly working on the same show.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
On the other side of the coin long runners like Boruto and One Piece show that you can have consistent and ambitious production values on a regular basis too. A notable animator said that seasonal shows nowadays tend to have tigher schedules in comparison. It's not black and white like it used to be in the past.

This makes sense, actually. For something like One Piece, with a consistent episode a week, more or less, every episode gets basically the same amount of time to work on it and the pre-production period has been over for decades. But a studio that works on four shows a year…the pre-production period for the later shows is going to be happening at the same time as active production for the earlier shows. Obviously, an animation team isn’t gonna be the same for all four, but it’s pretty easy to see how that approach compresses production time in a way that an endlessly running show won’t need to deal with.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 am Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:
Matros wrote:
On the other side of the coin long runners like Boruto and One Piece show that you can have consistent and ambitious production values on a regular basis too. A notable animator said that seasonal shows nowadays tend to have tigher schedules in comparison. It's not black and white like it used to be in the past.

This makes sense, actually. For something like One Piece, with a consistent episode a week, more or less, every episode gets basically the same amount of time to work on it and the pre-production period has been over for decades. But a studio that works on four shows a year…the pre-production period for the later shows is going to be happening at the same time as active production for the earlier shows. Obviously, an animation team isn’t gonna be the same for all four, but it’s pretty easy to see how that approach compresses production time in a way that an endlessly running show won’t need to deal with.

The first part is slightly incorrect. Even on a long running show the schedule for an episode may vary drastically depending on its importance. Average episodes are 3-4 months in production, but important ones get more time. For example episode #982 of One Piece was 6 months in production from beginning to end. And technically the pre-production period never ends since they have to think about new characters, locations and other things that need to be prepared. Unless you're just referring to the core staff.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Loving the show so it's good to have it reiterated that it's indeed coming back.[/code]
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect EZ to just stop at 2 cours. The only Mashima short Mashima series is Rave at the 50 episode mark and I expect EZ to surpass that. With that said, RAVE needs a anime remake doing it justice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1