• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts' Sora Joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Game as Final New Character

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
I imagine it must have been a legal nightmare to get him.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
I was one of those people who thought Sora's inclussion would be impossible but I'm happy being proven wrong. Sora wasn't my top choice, I've played KH2 on my PS2 but never finished it, but he was the top choice in many choice, and is incredible that Sakurai managed to include, I think Sora was the best character to end Ultimate's DLC, I'm not sure if another Smash game comes out they'll manage to top it.
All in all, my favourite DLC characters in order would be Terry, Banjo-Kazooie, Joker, Hero, Steve, Sefirot, Kazuya, Sora, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra and Byleth.
Btw, I acutally found out the Doomslayer mii costume reveal more surprising, I never thought Sakurai would acknowledge his popularity.
The only thing I didn't like was the annoucement that the Kingdom Heart series would be available on Switch but only the cloud version, I can understand KH III not running on Switch but the others like KH 1 and 2 are PS2 games, and if the Switch can run games like Doom Eternal and the Witcher III it makes me think that SE doesn't want to bother to port them. At least all DLC characters have appeard in games available on Switch, except Kazuya weirdly enough (P5 has P5 Strikers and Banjo-Kazooie will be available in the N64 app).
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
And he gets released on my birthday. Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
And he gets released on my birthday. Laughing

What a great birthday present!
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Sora is a great choice although it is a shame Goofy and Donald don't appear in his final smash or anything (would probably be a legal nightmare though).

It's also an incredible shame that none of the opening songs of Kingdom Hearts is in the game (would probably also be a legal nightmare)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Final DLC? I expected them to keep releasing DLC for this until the Switch got disconnected.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think he even said the word Disney once this entire presentation. Which made it funny seeing the Disney characters in the game flashbacks.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I don't think he even said the word Disney once this entire presentation. Which made it funny seeing the Disney characters in the game flashbacks.

Yeah, that was so weird, I guess Sakurai didn't want to break the rule of not including non-game characters in Smash, but he did mention Maleficent when describing the Hollow Bastion Stage. It would be interesting to know how Nintendo managed to make a deal with Disney to get Sora.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see different costumes, just a shame that they decided to cut Master form and Final form. Not even Limit form or Antiform, nor any of the interesting KHIII forms (Rage and Double come to mind) were mentioned. I guess there were some limitations, or possibly mini-DLC opportunities in mind? Or it could be that some of the excluded forms have 2 or more weapons or none at all was a factor?

8 different costumes, and not just a color swap, at launch is still pretty good.
OdnetninAges

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Pretty great choice to end Smash on IMO. I was personally wanted Neku from The World Ends with You the most, but Sora is obviously a much more popular and more highly requested character, so his inclusion makes a lot of sense. And I am admittedly a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, so I'd be lying if I said I didn't think his inclusion was really cool. The reveal trailer was fantastic too. I look forward to playing as him.

Somer-_- wrote:

He did. In the "What is KINGDOM HEARTS?" section, he mentioned that the first game was "developed by Disney and Square Enix" and that "you can travel to many different worlds from Disney and Pixar franchises."
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't care about him but I have no problem with his inclusion.

However, that trailer was too misleading, it completely looked like a Dark Souls motif.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
So 3 Square Enix character representing the company
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Sora, Hero, Cloud and Sephiroth.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, this is the 2nd straight Sora news in recent weeks after Adult Swim Laughing
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Sora, Hero, Cloud and Sephiroth.

I tend to view the Dragon Quest Heroes representing Enix (though some would argue Eight represents Level-5 since they developed DQVIII), Cloud and Sephiroth representing Squaresoft and Sora representing Disney.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2