• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts Games Head to Switch as Cloud-Streaming Releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
I kinda understand KH3 even through it's nothing special but the others don't need make any sense being cloud versions unless Squire Enix is testing making all their games cloud versions in the future regardless of system.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
2.8 is likely for the same reason as KH3 because of 0.2. As for the 1.5 + 2.5 it's likely just to be consistent with the other games.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:42 am Reply with quote
Hot dog! Very Happy This makes me happy.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
I remember an interview in which Tetsuya Nomura said that SE tried to run KH 1 & 2 on Switch but it didn't work, they also tried to run FFXV but the main problem was the engine. I can somewhat understand KH III not being possible, but considering that games like FF X, X-2 and XII were ported and Dragon Quest XI is also on Switch it seems weird that they couldn't at least port the first two KH games. I know that they're not the original PS2 games but rather a remastered edition, but I think Square is missing a lot of potential customers on Switch, even before Sora's inclusion on Smash many fans wanted to play KH on Nintendo hardware, not to mention that there were other KH games on previous Nintendo consoles.
I'm not sure if this decision was due to the Switch's hardware being weak, a lack of interest of SE to work on a conversion or they thinking the games wouldn't sell well, perhaps if the Switch's successor is powerful enough games like KH, the FF XIII trilogy and FF XV will run natively.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I remember an interview in which Tetsuya Nomura said that SE tried to run KH 1 & 2 on Switch but it didn't work, they also tried to run FFXV but the main problem was the engine. I can somewhat understand KH III not being possible, but considering that games like FF X, X-2 and XII were ported and Dragon Quest XI is also on Switch it seems weird that they couldn't at least port the first two KH games. I know that they're not the original PS2 games but rather a remastered edition, but I think Square is missing a lot of potential customers on Switch, even before Sora's inclusion on Smash many fans wanted to play KH on Nintendo hardware, not to mention that there were other KH games on previous Nintendo consoles.

Pretty sure most of those people would have played the games either on their original platforms or the rereleases. Ultimately does problem is on Nintendo’s hands for designing the switch in a way that most ports can only run at 30 FPS or are unable to run natively on the system.

Silver Kirin wrote:

I'm not sure if this decision was due to the Switch's hardware being weak, a lack of interest of SE to work on a conversion or they thinking the games wouldn't sell well

Given how popular the Switch is due to it’s portability this would be a weird decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1