• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retired Voice Actress Pamela Lauer Returns for New English Dub of Dirty Pair TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they got Pamela Lauer to come back! So we've got Jessica as Yuri and Pamela as Kei back.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's really nice to see the company go out of their way to get the original actress back considering it's common for companies not to even make the effort. Not interested in this set myself, but looks like it will be something special for fans.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this just probably bumped up my interest into actually getting this now. I was already on the fence and considering it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish they could get Sue Ulu who played Kei in DP Flash to do it as I prefer her Kei to Pam Lauer's but nobody's seen or heard from her since 2004.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I kinda wish they could get Sue Ulu who played Kei in DP Flash to do it as I prefer her Kei to Pam Lauer's but nobody's seen or heard from her since 2004.

Although it makes more sense to bring back Lauer since Jessica Calvello is her Yuri.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I never expected to hear from her again, but glad to see her back. Now the ones clamoring for Nozomi to redub the movies and OVAs should be happy that there's some consistency. They just need to reckon with Allison Sumrall as Yuri in the movies instead of Jessica Calvello, but she was a decent voice match. I really can't tell a huge difference TBH.

zrdb wrote:

Indeed, she didn't come back to voice Ritsuko in the new Evangelion Rebuild dubs, despite almost everyone else returning from the original movies. Still, I don't think she would've been appropriate here since the Flash versions of the characters are quite different. Even the Japanese seiyu are different.
Retrosofa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
Imagine if VIZ put in this much effort for the Sailor Moon redub. Razz

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I never expected to hear from her again, but glad to see her back. Now the ones clamoring for Nozomi to redub the movies and OVAs should be happy that there's some consistency. They just need to reckon with Allison Sumrall as Yuri in the movies instead of Jessica Calvello, but she was a decent voice match. I really can't tell a huge difference TBH.

It wouldn't feel nice if they went back and had Jessica dub over Allison's lines. Consistency or not. It would be cool if they went back and restored the original music and SFX for the OVAs though... (assuming they found those M&E tracks).
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
REALLY awesome they did this! I love role reprisals. They make my nostalgia loving heart happy~
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:

She moved to LA at the turn of the century and hadn't done dubbing since Eva's Dr. Akagi
Sandstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
If they want to bring someone back from DPF, bring back Laura Chapman. I've missed hearing her in dubs since BGC tokyo 2040.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
It would be divine to see more early 90's ADV era voice actors returning onto the dub scene like this tho highly doubtful this will happen again. Now if current ADR Directors had more creative vision in their casting selections this could actually become more of a reality honestly this type of attention to detail should be done far more often for the passionate dub fans who deserve to see far more effort in this department given the amount of money they drop on their dub products.
Retrosofa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
It would be divine to see more early 90's ADV era voice actors returning onto the dub scene like this tho highly doubtful this will happen again. Now if current ADR Directors had more creative vision in their casting selections this could actually become more of a reality honestly this type of attention to detail should be done far more often for the passionate dub fans who deserve to see far more effort in this department given the amount of money they drop on their dub products.

I agree. I'm out of the new anime loop, but I had assumed Sentai Filmworks would've brought back a lot of the ADV talent pool. Doesn't seem to be the case. Sad

I would love for those actors to be active again, whether it's with Sentai or another company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1