• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would just like to remind all of you that you asked for this.

No I didn’t. I asked for Pretty Cure and PriMagi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I like gorillas, but there's pretty much nothing I hate in anime more than how they are always depicted

What about Cromartie High School?

Unrelated, but Love Hina had a gorilla as a harem romantic rival at one point, come to think of it (mostly offscreen).

I very much like CHS but could've done without the gorilla (though I think he's one of the more palatable ones). Also there were a lot of intelligent alien gorillas, including a bride, in Gintama. Didn't enjoy that either. There's just something about how they are always drawn that bugs me and how they are always used for comedy. I think gorillas have more dignity than that. But then I'm someone who hated the "Dance of the Hours" segment of Fantasia when I was a kid because I didn't like it making fun of the animals that way (only after having seen actual ballet did I find it utterly hilarious, finally understanding exactly what they were skewering). Smile
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
As far as I recall the gorilla had more dignity than most of Cromartie’s human characters at least.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:
All of us now living in a world where The Fruit of Evolution somehow got enough votes to warrant weekly coverage
I actually wasn't living in that world, until I was hit by a truck this morning and woke up in another world where everything is the same except The Fruit of Evolution has weekly streaming reviews. This is the worst Isekai ever.
This made me laugh so hard, comedy gem my friend!
My Favorite Reviewer wrote:
Again, I remind you: You all asked for this, so don't come crying to me... (that you don't) understand why The Fruit of Evolution.. still sucks nine weeks from now.... I expect every last one of you to report to the comments section with ready-made analyses... Your first assignment: How did the gorilla makeout scene make you feel, and what societally taboo feelings did it awaken inside of you?...We're on a sinking ship made of tissue paper and crushed dreams, my friends, and if the S.S. Gorilla Fucker is going down, I'm taking every last one of you with me.
Oh James, I tried to warn them after seeing Ep1 in the Reviews comments that this was a total fail, not worthy of even hate-watching. I won't be among those who wonder about the future, it was obvious from the start that this would be a stinker from beginning to end. I didn't do this to you!

But as a proud progenitor of Nick's Ex-Army and worshiper of His Creativeness (not being facetious here, he's a genius second only to yourself)) I will carry on his work and accept your challenge with a twist. As a counterbalance to your review that I will relish over and over like a fine wine each episode, I will challenge myself to analyze what is right with this show (Alternate Reviewer Mode Activate!)

Ep1-3:Surprised to find there was a lot of good, this may be a hidden gem for this season, like a "Chocolate Diamond" of the deepest brown in the rough (do I detect a smell too...?) So good things in order of appearance: Hot Anime Waifu! Dungeon Cleared Kirito-Style*! Kawaii Mr Sheep! Hello Isakai Circle-Town! Macho-Homos! (back off mods, I got that one from Oriemo so it's not hate) Tsundere Harem Member! Any True Anime Fan will have to admit that those are what make up 99% of good shows these days. This series has balls too, the pace is kept fast and the characters are bold and it dares to fulfill the promise of Interspecies Reviewers which chickened out in making the sex workers of other species into very hot human women. TFOE starts with the first harem member being an Actual. Huge. Muscle-y. GO-RI-LLA (Disney Tarzan style, say it!) And it puts it's protagonist's mouth where it's money is. He realizes the full meaning of "True Beauty is found Within" and falls in love with Saria as she really is and kisses her big, beautiful gorilla lips while he can. Can you say this didn't make you flash-back to the Disney classic scene of Belle's confession and kiss of the dying Beast? The result is the same too! What's not to love?*Note: single-handed, fast, without really trying

So to My Favorite Reviewer I say yes, the make-out scene was beautiful and made me think of how Seichii might slowly caress and kiss each muscle on her gorilla body as he advanced his way down to her waist, slowly taking off his clothes to reveal how similar his body was to her, tickling the hairs between and her moans of excitement as he wrapped his arms around her gorilla waist, hugging her with an animal passion she felt welling up inside as well and then fulfilling thier mutual love... make her into the Gorilla His Dreams...can't stop...don't stop my darling...take me now you glorious beast...everything you see is only for you...ooooh!...oooooh~~! My god, it made me want to fudge a gorilla... Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep4- Before James can corrupt your minds with negativity, I am here to spread positivity and Gorilla Love Mr. Green If there is one thing this show has, it's heart As big as the wide open sky! What depth of love there is to care about the tragic backstory of a lonely Item Chest who only wanted friends. Though it's desire was so strong it evolved to have arms, legs and magic, it was misunderstood and persecuted by the very humans it so desperately wanted to accept it and in a cruel twist of fate, Seiichi accidentally kills it! What does it matter? Who Cares? This Show Cares and so should you!

We see how heroic, selfless and considerate Artoria, though she is cursed with big boobs and bad luck, she fights against all odds to see Seiichi/Saria who she has known only a few days safely home. But alas, like the best moments of Shonen Jump, the dragon is Just. Too. Strong~~ BUT... when all seems lost, our young heros come to save her with the power of love and friendship (and apparently Kirito's black cape that wound up here somehow, fireproofed)! Yeah! The power of love (and this show) compels you to care and says to us all "do not let your heart grow cold as the implacable dragon but let the message of universal love reach you"!
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I feel a mild amusement that Gorilla-form Saria has the same VA as the muscly tanned Guild Master.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Hiroki not Nick, for that heartfelt eulogy for poor Chesty. I, too, shed a tear at his demise. He would have been a true friend and boon companion to our glorious protagonist but, alas, it was not to be.
babajones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying this anime... It is fun and this white haired girl is so hot !!

If the reviewer does not like it and he feels like he being forced to watch it, then maybe he should get replaced.

Even the new Muv-Luv anime is getting proper rating despite being much worse than this show
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:19 am Reply with quote
So does Saria still have her Gorilla strength? She seems ready to still fight like she is but they haven't really explained her strength level yet.

Seiichi is already pretty overpowered.

I'm guessing that ring is going to snag Artoria officially into the Harem and counter her bad luck as a "Calamity."

I'm assuming that sexy Demon General will be the next main antagonist of the show.
Eric Bone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to be concerned that the beginning was actually the high point of the series. Saria doesn't even have a personality anymore, all she ever does is say Seichi's name and ask what they're doing. Also the fact that the most interesting parts of this review are when James isn't talking about the show really says a lot. Man this is torture, see y'all next week!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Standardized tests are a piece of cake compared to the insanity of application essays, recommendations (writing recommendations is so much worse than proctoring), or crazy things like portfolios.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, James, I may disagree with your opinions a lot - and boy do I disagree with them - but you're pretty good at this writing thing. A+ on the review, sure beats actually watching the show.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
At least for the size comparison it looks like she was behind him for 1 and then beside him for the other. Of course Im not gonna watch the show to get a full comparison.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
At least for the size comparison it looks like she was behind him for 1 and then beside him for the other. Of course Im not gonna watch the show to get a full comparison.

So far as the sloppy attempt at perspective goes, this is almost certainly the explanation, though the real issue boils down to how the show is edited and drawn so poorly. There is rarely any rhyme or reason to where characters are blocked or how they're shot, and those two specific shots come one immediately following the other, with a single reverse shot to seperate them. There is no discernable movement or even a sensible artistic reason to change the blocking, and it happens so nonchalantly that the resulting continuity error is noticable enough to make it seem like Saria teleported from a few inches behind Seiichi to a few inches in front of him.

In short, it's the kind of thing you'd likely never notice if FoE gave us any reason to be interested or invested in what is happening on screen, and that you can't help but fixate on when the show is so mean-spiritedly attempting to bore you into a coma.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Cryten wrote:

So far as the sloppy attempt at perspective goes, this is almost certainly the explanation, though the real issue boils down to how the show is edited and drawn so poorly. There is rarely any rhyme or reason to where characters are blocked or how they're shot, and those two specific shots come one immediately following the other, with a single reverse shot to seperate them. There is no discernable movement or even a sensible artistic reason to change the blocking, and it happens so nonchalantly that the resulting continuity error is noticable enough to make it seem like Saria teleported from a few inches behind Seiichi to a few inches in front of him.

In short, it's the kind of thing you'd likely never notice if FoE gave us any reason to be interested or invested in what is happening on screen, and that you can't help but fixate on when the show is so mean-spiritedly attempting to bore you into a coma.

But... but I didn't notice it at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7