• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Dress-Up Darling Anime's Video Unveils Cast, January Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks great!
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Holy bananas, is CloverWorks hiring the best animators in Japan?

Because this looks expressive as f-word.

I don't know anything about this series but i'm tempted to watch it
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this does look really great! Almost looks CG or rotoscoped or something, but with a ton of polish on top.

Redbeard, you were worried about them maybe upping the fanservice, but putting out a trailer with zero fanservice at all is pretty reassuring!
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Wow, this does look really great! Almost looks CG or rotoscoped or something, but with a ton of polish on top.

Redbeard, you were worried about them maybe upping the fanservice, but putting out a trailer with zero fanservice at all is pretty reassuring!
The fanservice is probably going to be part and parcel with the show though. The manga is EXTREMLY heavy on the fanservice, which sort of makes sense since she's an eroge cosplayer.

The PV does look beautiful, but I think I'm going to play the wait and see game with this one. Everything Cloverworks puts out is beautiful, but I've been disappointed in their ability to stick the landing with just about all their shows lately. Saekano Fin was probably the last thing they made that I felt was solid all around.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
We all agree that the art and animation look amazing.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

The fanservice is probably going to be part and parcel with the show though. The manga is EXTREMLY heavy on the fanservice, which sort of makes sense since she's an eroge cosplayer.

The PV does look beautiful, but I think I'm going to play the wait and see game with this one. Everything Cloverworks puts out is beautiful, but I've been disappointed in their ability to stick the landing with just about all their shows lately. Saekano Fin was probably the last thing they made that I felt was solid all around.

Doesn't help either that Cloverworks atm is lined up to have 3 anime in the winter season so how will the quality of the writing and animation hold up because of this?
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Oh, that's absolutely the case in regards to the cosplays but especially in the early chapters, some of the panels framing Marin are just really distracting and honestly kind of against the tone of the scene they're in?

That first panning shot of Marin in the trailer – the equivalent panel in the manga is immediately followed by a short panel of basically her entire ass hanging out of her skirt, lovingly shaded and highlighted while Gojou morosely monologues about how lonely he is as an outsider and how many friends Marin has.

It's distracting and if they toned down the weird leering at Marin's body during the otherwise totally nonsexual scenes, I'd be the last one to complain.
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Oh, that's absolutely the case in regards to the cosplays but especially in the early chapters, some of the panels framing Marin are just really distracting and honestly kind of against the tone of the scene they're in?

That first panning shot of Marin in the trailer – the equivalent panel in the manga is immediately followed by a short panel of basically her entire ass hanging out of her skirt, lovingly shaded and highlighted while Gojou morosely monologues about how lonely he is as an outsider and how many friends Marin has.

It's distracting and if they toned down the weird leering at Marin's body during the otherwise totally nonsexual scenes, I'd be the last one to complain.

Personally, I never found the fanservice distracting. It always seemed more like an extension of the characters' personalities. As a gal, Marin tends to dress in a flashier manner than usual and isn't particularly reserved in her behavior or mindful about who is looking. Gojou, being a typically awkward boy going through adolescence with a keen eye for details, naturally has his gaze drawn toward those areas. His reaction in that panel you mentioned in the manga is a clear indicator that he himself was looking there, so it serves as an insight into his perspective rather than just a shot of Marin's backside with no narrative purpose.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
borisdrakoni wrote:
Personally, I never found the fanservice distracting. It always seemed more like an extension of the characters' personalities. As a gal, Marin tends to dress in a flashier manner than usual and isn't particularly reserved in her behavior or mindful about who is looking. Gojou, being a typically awkward boy going through adolescence with a keen eye for details, naturally has his gaze drawn toward those areas. His reaction in that panel you mentioned in the manga is a clear indicator that he himself was looking there, so it serves as an insight into his perspective rather than just a shot of Marin's backside with no narrative purpose.

i knew someone was going to reply with this lmao

That totally makes sense for the scenes in which Gojou is actually looking at Marin, but a lot of these leering-at-Marin panels happen from perspectives it would be physically impossible for him to have or scenes *they don't even share*. The random panel of Marin's ass, for example, can't be from his POV because it's framed from the back and slightly under her – he would have to be stood behind her and squatting to see her in that way but he's sat his desk at the back of the room while Marin is just vibing at the front. There's a slightly earlier panel that's actually from his POV were Marin is getting into his grill and he hyperfocuses on what her can see of her cleavage – that makes total sense! But the random ass shot really doesn't.

It's totally fine for the camera to get fanservicey when it's actually picking up and conveying Gojou's attraction to her – but even those I find can get excessive. For example – the scene where Marin is pouring her heart out about her desire to cosplay the characters she loves, the camera shoves itself into her boobs and up against her crotch in a way that feels really distracting and takes away from the actual moment of Marin opening up to him.

I'm not under any illusions that this is going to be a fanservice-free venture and I wouldn't want it to be – that's just not the sort of story this is. But I don't think toning down the weird vouyerism in scenes that are otherwise about character growth and relationship dynamics is a bad idea.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:

Well, tbh I think it looks like it's going to be above average for a TV series, but nothing to write home about either. Seems to be one of those series where the character designs look quite beautiful/polished in close up and which convey the emotions of the characters well. There are several such series over the course of a year or two coming out from Japan. I'm glad it gets that treatment. It suits the manga.
If you want to see really amazing animation right now, look no further than Ousama Ranking though. That's seriously one of the most polished and crafted TV animation coming out from Japan I've seen in years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu 4 Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
09jcg wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Doesn't help either that Cloverworks atm is lined up to have 3 anime in the winter season so how will the quality of the writing and animation hold up because of this?

How would them doing 3 shows simultaneously affect the writing quality?
Ryu 4 Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
ChrissyC wrote:

Well, tbh I think it looks like it's going to be above average for a TV series, but nothing to write home about either. Seems to be one of those series where the character designs look quite beautiful/polished in close up and which convey the emotions of the characters well. There are several such series over the course of a year or two coming out from Japan. I'm glad it gets that treatment. It suits the manga.
If you want to see really amazing animation right now, look no further than Ousama Ranking though. That's seriously one of the most polished and crafted TV animation coming out from Japan I've seen in years.

I think you're severely underestimating the team brought on to handle this adaptation. With Shota Umehara as the animation producer, the show should easily be one of the strongest shows next year and over the last few years in terms of character acting and that is simply because of his wealth of connections to talented animators and the ambition of the main staff he brings. The PV itself already showed a variety of wonderful cuts such as grounded in realism with a high level of volumetric shading (the hand holding and back cuts) as well as quirky character acting on 4s. This isn't just a show with pretty/polished close up drawings lol. If they maintain this throughout most of the show, then as far as I know, the only 2 shows released this year that can even come close are ousama ranking and wonder egg priority (which was produced by the aforementioned umehara).
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryu 4 Ryu wrote:
Swissman wrote:
ChrissyC wrote:

I think you're severely underestimating the team brought on to handle this adaptation.

I'm pretty sure I don't.

Quote:
With Shota Umehara as the animation producer, the show should easily be one of the strongest shows next year and over the last few years in terms of character acting and that is simply because of his wealth of connections to talented animators and the ambition of the main staff he brings. The PV itself already showed a variety of wonderful cuts such as grounded in realism with a high level of volumetric shading (the hand holding and back cuts) as well as quirky character acting on 4s. This isn't just a show with pretty/polished close up drawings lol.

Well, you're pretty much describing what I meant with the character designs looking quite beautiful/polished in close up. I should have precised I meant the animation of the characters, and not just their looks. I'm not that naive, lol. I'm pretty sure it will have some savory sakuga cuts here and there, showing all the subtle emotions you typically get from shows like KyoAni or the aforementioned Wonder Egg priority; the trailer already has some, I dig that, but that alone doesn't mean that the animation as a whole will be constantly amazing or anything over the course of the whole series. I am personally more impressed by shows with simpler designs where the emphasis of the animation is more on the movements of a character as a whole (from midrange) because those shows are rarer than what My Dress-Up Darling seems to be on first glance.
In short, I'm not entirely impressed by the animation shown in this trailer yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu 4 Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
^

My apologies if I misinterpreted but when you said “ Seems to be one of those series where the character designs look quite beautiful/polished in close up” I assumed you meant pretty character designs with super strong AD work, when this team is so much more than that.

I do agree that the trailer alone won’t convince someone that it’ll be consistent throughout but at the very least, given how egg turned out, the first few eps should be insanely strong in terms of character acting (as will be the case for akebi). However, the same can sorta be said for ousama because as insane as the first 2 eps were, they won’t be able to maintain that level of constant movement for 2 cours even with the simple yet charming designs. I see that you have a preference but to me Ousama ep 1 and egg were pretty much on the same level (regardless of design complexity). Both were able to show off what was essentially movie level character acting for their entire 21 minute runtime (and tbh as much i as I respect KyoAni, they’ve never had a tv series which was this strong before).
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Post removed.

Please remember to be respectful with your posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2