• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blue Period

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I actually wasn't 100% sure on whether to watch Blue Period or not, but the first paragraph of the review has convinced me. As someone who's switched their major from computer science to film and TV, I've been in the position of justifying my choices more than enough times.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I have to say I think they're doing a solid job adapting the work and hitting the major points and everyone looks and sounds like themselves.

Yumiri Hanamori's experience voicing male and female characters made her the perfect choice for a character like Yuka who blurs the gender-line.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Having read the manga, I have to say I think they're doing a solid job adapting the work and hitting the major points and everyone looks and sounds like themselves.

Yumiri Hanamori's experience voicing male and female characters made her the perfect choice for a character like Yuka who blurs the gender-line.

Oh yeah.

Could Casey Mongillo also work when the show is dubbed?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Never mind that English and game design aren't precisely useless fields of study

I don't think the problem is useless or not, the problem is more "what happen to everyone who's not extremely gifted". I have no problem believing that the best art graduate, in a given year, will go on to have very successful career. But what about everyone who's not in the top 10% or even 1%? Who need a 2nd or 3rd rate painter, to say nothing of the "barely graduated"?

In my extended family I have a couple of people who went on to study the art (acting and music), they worked crazy hard at it and they were good. But they were merely good at it, not amazing. As a result, one of them ended up meandering around doing random side job and the others had to go back to school to study things that even the bottom 50% of graduate can find jobs.

I like how honey and clover handle this, plenty of the characters are very successful and go on to have amazing career, but the main character is not one of them. He graduate, can't find a job and end up working as a handyman in a construction job that he obtain completely separately from his study.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Oh yeah.

Could Casey Mongillo also work when the show is dubbed?

Potentially.

Netflix isn't releasing it with a dub despite the premier delay so I'm not quite sure what the plan is there. Maybe release it after the entire series is done?
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:53 am Reply with quote
so far enjoying the series, I think it will be interesting to see where it goes. So far I think Netflix is doing a fine job on the subtitles, I don't speak Japanese but I haven't noticed any large errors or missing subtitles that would have detracted from the story.

My only problem with this and every anime is how fragmented the market for simulcasts has become. I'm watching anime's on CR, Funimation, Hi-Dive, Netflix and that's just this seasons simulcasts. add in previously Amazon and Hulu, and soon to be Disney you can see how much of a pain this is becoming. I know this is not going to get any better in the short term. This is more a of soap box argument and not a jab at Blue Period.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
So far I think Netflix is doing a fine job on the subtitles,

Translations maybe, but not the subs themselves. I watch on a 55" TV from across the room. Many times I cannot read the white subtitles when they appear on light backgrounds. Crunchyroll uses black outlines around their subs which makes them much easier to read. I don't know why everyone doesn't do the same.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
The latest review's title misled me into thinking episode 5 was already on Netflix, but this is actually a review of episode 4. You should fix that.

Edit: title fixed.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I like how they're developing Yatora and his diving into the art world, both emotionally and critically, and how intricate, complicated, and even subjective the world of art is.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm finding BP to be an interesting contrast to Remake Our Life - both about going to college for creative fields, but RoL was more about commercial art and BP is about fine art. I don't put one over the other or anything like that, but I'm finding the character motivations and learning what makes all of the characters tick very interesting here, which is something I thought RoL didn't emphasize as much as I'd have liked. I'm very curious to see how this show and it's characters evolve
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Being an artist really isn't easy, with all the emotional depth and investment it takes and how subjective it can be, and then to have that be judged and graded...no wonder Yatora's stressing out. But he can still find inspiration in Mori's work.

Yuka has his own problems at home that are making it hard.

(I loved Hashida admiring being in a class with Kuwana again while the camera focuses on her legs. Subtle Razz).
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This is the best show that people aren't watching this season. What a shame because it really is such a good show.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's the only show I'm watching Laughing

Though that's also because not all shows are available in my country.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
No wonder Yotasuke doesn't have any friends when you see him hang up when Yatora tries to make small talk. All the same, they're not conventional "friends" because Yotasuke dislikes Yatora trying to make it in art when he has so much else in his life while Yotasuke only has art, while Yatora resents how much comes easy to Yotasuke. Yet Yotasuke actually acknowledges Yatora, which is gratifying.

Kuwana also gets frank about how self-conscious she is about her art in relation to her older sister (voiced by Sayaka Ohara?) who she constantly compares her art too, even though it seems like her sister supports her. But Yatora sees her art as it is and not as reflective of her sister.

Everyone feeling exam pressure.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
We're almost halfway through the season. The show so far is almost entirely carried by the strength of its source material. I kept wondering what would've happened if we've gotten a stronger adaptation with solid animation. It's ironic that the other show licensed by Netflix this season, Komi-san, is almost on the opposite boat, which I think is carried more by the adaptation than the source (this is not a diss; I quite like the show too). But in an ideal world, Blue Period would've gotten the adaptation it deserves and sitting on top of everyone's to-watch list. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2