• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86 Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
How long was the studying the group had to do to join the military?
From the first season, I was under the impression the Legion was pretty much on the verge of invading the Republic, but apparently a lot of time passed and they're just not? Was Shin just being overdramatic that one time, then?
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
How long was the studying the group had to do to join the military?
Took them 3 months to get through officers academy.
Quote:
From the first season, I was under the impression the Legion was pretty much on the verge of invading the Republic, but apparently a lot of time passed and they're just not? Was Shin just being overdramatic that one time, then?
Shin gave that warning to Lena about half a year ago. The Legion have been building up their forces as it's not just the Republic, they're planning a massive offensive on all battle fronts.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I felt like the last two episodes could have been compressed a bit. I am ready for more action, and to see what is happening elsewhere.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Episode 15 won't be one that people will refer back to in the future. . . my guess is that the episode we'll be raving about in the future is Episode 16.

Frederica being tossed is meme-worthy, at least. But yeah, next episode should be a spectacle. I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

John Thacker wrote:
I felt like the last two episodes could have been compressed a bit. I am ready for more action, and to see what is happening elsewhere.

Actually, no. Aside from the comedy bits, everything which transpires in these two episodes has impact on the story and/or character developments going forward. It is definitely the slowest part of the first three novels, but in a Big Picture sense, it had to be allowed to fully play out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saber721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16, to quote myself from Crunchyroll’s comments section Razz “this episode was even more fantastic than I hoped” I don’t even know how many times I’ve re-watched it at this point; suffice to say it’s a lot.
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
Episode 15 won't be one that people will refer back to in the future. . . my guess is that the episode we'll be raving about in the future is Episode 16.

Frederica being tossed is meme-worthy, at least. But yeah, next episode should be a spectacle. I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

John Thacker wrote:

Actually, no. Aside from the comedy bits, everything which transpires in these two episodes has impact on the story and/or character developments going forward. It is definitely the slowest part of the first three novels, but in a Big Picture sense, it had to be allowed to fully play out.

Even though it seems slow, dragged out or to most people; "boring", those were actually needed to understand the bigger picture of 86.

I haven't read the Light Novels myself, but I do know 86 requires you to "read the images". The story itself isn't complex/difficult to follow, but there are context hidden in those images. And those have an effect on how you watch it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The series has usually focused more on the emotional drama and the fallout of the battles than the actual combat, but this episode really delivered on an action-front. Probably the most action in a single episode aside from the fight with Rei.

The Eighty-Six are happy to be back in their element fighting the Legion right up until they start to realize what's happening to Shin who is throwing himself recklessly into battle with a lifeless smile on his face. It seems even worse than when he was obsessed with fighting Rei. And poor Frederica is powerless to do anything as she sees him becoming Kiriya 2.0. I really liked how they depicted Frederica's ability.

It was nice to see the Shin/Lena contrasting perspectives again, felt like old times, and we see Lena realizing how screwed the Republic is after the Gran Mur collapses and putting everything she's worked towards on the line to rally the Eighty-Six and the sympathetic Alba to make one last stand.

I feel like Lena's final discussion with her uncle came off better here than it did in the light novels where I still hated Karlstahl's guts, but even if he saw folly in her ideals he made his decision to protect her and buy her time in the end. I'm glad Lena got to call him "uncle" one last time even if I want nothing more for Lena to prove him wrong.

The team being so non-plussed about finding out about the siege of the Republic is kind of funny, although Shin looking downward implies a lot about how he's taking it, and then the bombshell (in more ways than one) that Kiriya has moved onto the Frederacy...

Also, as a LN reader, spoiler[all that fan speculation and they basically confirm No Face's identity entirely through his voice. It's almost kind of hilarious.]
saber721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Also, as a LN reader, spoiler[all that fan speculation and they basically confirm No Face's identity entirely through his voice. It's almost kind of hilarious.]

spoiler[I'm pretty sure a lot of us LN readers had a pretty good idea who it was but yeah hearing the voice was just instant confirmation wasn't it?]

So, speculation time here, but I think that when Shin regains his sanity as he takes down the final Lowe @ the 13:49 mark, he may have heard Lena's voice. The sunlight breaking through the clouds could represent her voice breaking through the darkness that Shin has fallen into, and the cut to the scar of the ear cuff para-raid device on Shins ear as he regains the light in his eyes reinforces this, as it was that device that connected the two of them.

To add to this, I believe this excerpt from LN vol. 3 further reinforces my speculation (This is from the very beginning of the novel, which is Lena's argument with Karlstahl shown in the second half of the episode, so I do not consider this to be spoilers, but I will put it in spoiler tags just in case):

spoiler["May fortune be on your side, Commodore Karlstahl."
Whispering those words to herself, Lena set out again through the darkened corridors of the military headquarters, the commodore's final words echoing in her heart. The letters she read time and time again carving themselves into her mind, beckoning her to come their final destination like starlight shining through the blackness.

Yes, Shin.
I will walk down the same path you did and find your final resting place, no matter the cost

-----
In a chance moment of pause between the clashes of the rampaging Legion, Shin's consciousness was pulled away from the battlefield. He thought he could hear someone's voice. He was in the midst of a large Legion offensive, walking the razor's edge between life and death. But as he focused back on the battle in front of him, he'd all but forgotten about that voice.]
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Great episode this week and Sawano's music was on point as well Anime smile

At first I wondered why the Legion would attack 4 sides all at once, but then seeing the numbers I guess that wasn't an issue...

Not sure what the point was for the Federacy to have all those soldiers in the trenches. Those guns didn't seem like they would do much against those machines and trenches don't really help much against armored vehicles anyway.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

At first I wondered why the Legion would attack 4 sides all at once, but then seeing the numbers I guess that wasn't an issue...

Not sure what the point was for the Federacy to have all those soldiers in the trenches. Those guns didn't seem like they would do much against those machines and trenches don't really help much against armored vehicles anyway.

Their guns can go through the smaller Legion but aren't effective against the larger ones.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
Honestly, if I wasn't reviewing this, I'd be bingeing it. Seven days is too long a wait.

Do you have some back door, press hook up with all the episodes, if so feel free to share, I also rather not wait 7 days, this series is toooooo good.

Reviewer wrote:
He's only made more threatening through the dramatic cliffhanger after the credits (make sure not to miss those!)

I missed this after credits scene, thanks for pointing it out.
saber721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Their guns can go through the smaller Legion but aren't effective against the larger ones.

And for the larger ones, they can act as spotters for artillery. Plus they're meant to delay the Legion until the Vanagandr's can deploy.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:05 am Reply with quote
I kept trying to check my expectations about this episode- "No way it will justify all the build up and dread" is what I kept saying to myself. I needn't have bothered: it was an amazing episode that maintained tension throughout.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
After all the action last episode, they did an equally amazing job handling the emotional fallout and expanding on Shin's psyche and what's eating away at him. I honestly didn't really notice that much lacking in the animation.

Lena's voiceless last stand in the destroyed remains of the Republic was everything in my opinion. Seeing all those landmarks from season 1 that were so pristine and fake now torn to shreds by the reality of the Legion while the remaining Alba and Eighty-Six are struggling to survive was perfect (and some Alba's still had to show their hate on the Eighty-Six with that message).

The Eighty-Six have their pride keeping them going but while it's good that they don't want to be bystanders or turn away from the fight, it seems like an armor that's keeping them from really living or moving on from the 86 sector. And while there is a degree of self-righteousness and shallow pity from the Federacy, or just plain disdain because of how inhuman the teams' stance and personality on the battlefield comes off, it means they turn away even those with valid concern for them. Frederica saw this happen to Kiriya and she seems to be the only one who realizes how badly Shin is losing it. I don't think Grethe realized how bad it is for these kids until she set Shin off.

The ghosts of Shin's former comrades are jovial and happy but on some level it feels like they're weighing him down and forcing him to keep being a reaper, one still plagued with an immense sense of guilt and a lack of self-worth. The only person who was able to get through to him, even in memory, is seemingly dead and gone and he's lost hope that the memory of his life will live on because it died with her. He's lost all sense of hope.

As novel reader, seeing the other nations and thinking of the characters the reps were related too was a lot of fun.
saber721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
saber721 wrote:
So, speculation time here, but I think that when Shin regains his sanity as he takes down the final Lowe @ the 13:49 mark, he may have heard Lena’s voice.

Called it.

Going back to episode 16, I really didn’t notice any animation issues personally; although I expected this episode to be pretty light on animation anyway after last weeks spectacle. Now I do worry about the delay. But given the spectacle I’m hoping they’re going for with the final episodes I can’t say I’m super surprised they need more time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8