• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Anime Film's Trailer Reveals, Previews King Gnu's Theme Song

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
How much do you guys think this movie will earn at the box office worldwide?
can be more than demon slayer?
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
I’m loving Megumi Ogata as Okkotsu!

Was hoping for Eve to perform the theme song but King Gnu is just as good. Their OP song for Ranking of Kings is excellent!
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

Nowhere near it. KnY was a much more popular franchise than JJK is in Japan, especially with the demographics that make up the bulk of casual moviegoers, and also released under more favorable circumstances for a blow up performance.

JJK should probably aim for a 10 billion finish if anything.
evan77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:
evan77 wrote:

Nowhere near it. KnY was a much more popular franchise than JJK is in Japan, especially with the demographics that make up the bulk of casual moviegoers, and also released under more favorable circumstances for a blow up performance.

What about box offices outside of Japan?
I think outside of Japan JJK is more popular than KnY (especially in the West)
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
RandomCommenter wrote:
evan77 wrote:

KnY had record performance in taiwan being the biggest japanese movie (#9 movie of all time overall), a great, super leggy performance in SK and strong performance in most if not all SE countries. As far as asian countries go, KnY seems to be mostly stronger than JJK.

And while I do agree JJK seems more popular in western countries, KnY was helped a ton by its record breaking japanese performance generating incredible word of mouth. MHA is a much stronger franchise than KnY in the US, probably the biggest series in the market right now, yet its movies can only gross about a quarter of what mugen train got.

The one market where it'll have the edge is a pretty obvious one, China (Mugen Train did not release there), but I don't know if that'll be enough to give it a higher gross as far as outside jp is concerned, let alone total.
SP654

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
I hope They announce season 2 after Releasing the movie

Last edited by SP654 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
evan77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:
evan77 wrote:
RandomCommenter wrote:
evan77 wrote:

KnY had record performance in taiwan being the biggest japanese movie (#9 movie of all time overall), a great, super leggy performance in SK and strong performance in most if not all SE countries. As far as asian countries go, KnY seems to be mostly stronger than JJK.

And while I do agree JJK seems more popular in western countries, KnY was helped a ton by its record breaking japanese performance generating incredible word of mouth. MHA is a much stronger franchise than KnY in the US, probably the biggest series in the market right now, yet its movies can only gross about a quarter of what mugen train got.

The one market where it'll have the edge is a pretty obvious one, China (Mugen Train did not release there), but I don't know if that'll be enough to give it a higher gross as far as outside jp is concerned, let alone total.
By West I mean Europe, North America, Central America and South America
MHA is very popular only in the United States
Also, MHA movies are not canon, but KnY movie and JJK 0 are canon, so there is a big difference
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:

I thought Mugen train was released in China? Am I mistaken? If so, why wasn't it released? If it was due to content, one would think JJK would fall into the same category
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
By West I mean Europe, North America, Central America and South America
MHA is very popular only in the United States
Also, MHA movies are not canon, but KnY movie and JJK 0 are canon, so there is a big difference

You could change the example to a canon movie like DBS:broly (thought this doesn't apply to latam countries, afaik, where I think DBS performed better), it's not really the point - I was simply saying Mugen Train's numbers in the west are "inflated" by massive word of mouth coming from japan (in the form of records) more than an actual representation of its popularity, so directly comparing popularity to expect certain numbers likely may not work. Basically, people that normally wouldn't go see anime movies in theaters going to this one to find out why it was such a record breaker in japan.
Connor Dino wrote:
RandomCommenter wrote:

I thought Mugen train was released in China? Am I mistaken? If so, why wasn't it released? If it was due to content, one would think JJK would fall into the same category

The theatrical version never made it there - I believe the official reason was "too bloody". However I think the episodic version is being added to bilibili now (might be mistaken).
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Never had problem with Ogata but I'm surprised Itadori is not present. Wonder how different is this lead
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Never had problem with Ogata but I'm surprised Itadori is not present. Wonder how different is this lead

Itadori isn't in it since this is a prologue.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
When its released with a dub I'll check it out should be a decent watch.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
RandomCommenter wrote:

I don't have the actual reason, but if what you learn about the Chinese movie industry from Accented Cinema's YouTube vids is right, Chinese sensors completely ban any kind of supernatural elements like demons, which is why China makes bad horror movies since the monster always has to be people.
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
In terms of the Box Office; how will Jujutsu Kaisen 0 do against SAO: Aria of a Starless Night?

If you ask me, with both being released in Fall 2021, SAO: Aria of a Starless Night is going to be Jujutsu Kaisen 0's biggest competition.

And I'm being straight up, Jujutsu Kaisen has potential & I want the franchise to do well.

Leviathonlx wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Itadori isn't in it since this is a prologue.

From what I heard, the film is set roughly 1 year before season 1. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Itadori isn't in the film.
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
DarkJak2050 wrote:
In terms of the Box Office; how will Jujutsu Kaisen 0 do against SAO: Aria of a Starless Night?

If you ask me, with both being released in Fall 2021, SAO: Aria of a Starless Night is going to be Jujutsu Kaisen 0's biggest competition.

And I'm being straight up, Jujutsu Kaisen has potential & I want the franchise to do well.

SAO is going to struggle just to clear 2B, a mark that JJK should clear with extreme ease. I'd say a finish below 5B would be pretty disappointing for a very strong franchise like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2