• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Announces Plans for Eden Volumes 11 and 12

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's intensely disappointing that production is slowing down (given that it wasn't exactly exploding onto shelves on a monthly basis) but as long as they keep putting it out there I'll keep buying it. At this point I guess the hope is just that it will stay alive 'til completion or until I have a need to learn to read Japanese and can just import it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Kinda pissed that they kept Eden going, but they don't want to bring back YUA or Legend of Mother Sarah.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kinda pissed that they kept Eden going, but they don't want to bring back YUA or Legend of Mother Sarah.

Perhaps the license for those titles ran out? It would be much more costly to re-license a title then to keep a current one going.

There are a few other manga titles I know they slowed down the pace, like Bastard!! and Kindaichi case files which only come out bi-yearly now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

They can barely sell enough copies of Eden as is. How are they going to justify bringing back another post-apocalyptic title (one that most people would agree isn't as good as Eden) that sold like crap back when Otomo was one of the biggest names in fandom?
And since DH supposedly never printed the first five volumes of YUA because Fujishima was ashamed of them I don't have much desire to see that series brought back.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
While this isn't very good news, it still gives me time to catch up. At least there'll be one more person buying it soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha: The market's changed since Legend of Mother Sarah first came out, and more fans are aware of Otomo. Plus, series with female leads who can kick ass seem to be popular here nowadays.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for them to start releasing Gantz. Neutral
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
I have 7 volumes of Shadow Star and anticipating when they're going to release the next volumes. At least they haven't stopped production dead >>
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
I hope sales pick up. I absolutely love Eden.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

It doesn't come out until June.

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-734
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised Eden isn't really a popular series - I mean the genre itself isn't overwhelmingly popular in North America. Personally, I really enjoy the series but fortunately, I'm not too much in a rush to purchase the rest. I have up to volume 7 and with the massive amount of manga that I order every month, this just gives me some breathing room (for my wallet anyways) for the other volumes.

Quote:

There are a few other manga titles I know they slowed down the pace, like Bastard!! and Kindaichi case files which only come out bi-yearly now.

I really wish Kindaichi Case Files was released more than bi-annually. I hate waiting for long for the next volume - the only volume I need now is the Headless Samurai which seems to be out of print for some odd reason since there are tons of the other volumes still in stock....
maru1311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
In Poland we are waiting for volume 15th of Eden, so its not that bad
as I thought.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
I really wish Kindaichi Case Files was released more than bi-annually. I hate waiting for long for the next volume - the only volume I need now is the Headless Samurai which seems to be out of print for some odd reason since there are tons of the other volumes still in stock....

Yeah, I've had to look all around of the lot of the volumes. The early ones are not to hard to find but the later ones are much harder. I finally have all the ones that have come out in the U.S. but only because when my friend went to Florida (I live in Pennsylvania), she found it and bought it for me.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

It doesn't come out until June.

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-734

Ah, thanks for that. Smile

Item Description wrote:
* Gantz has been running weekly in the Japanese magazine Young Jump, which has a circulation of over 1 million.

Haha, this is funny. Maybe through the end of Phase 1 it ran weekly, but after a 3-4 month break, it's pretty much been releasing bi-weekly, in a weekly magazine... I'm not sure if it's because Oku-sensei slowed down, or it just takes that long to do all the CG work, but I stopped following it about 8 months ago and have been waiting for the English version to come out since I heard about its licensing. Not too much longer now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Kindaichi was slowed down by Tokyopop due to lack of sales (as well as B't X, which is FINALLY at its last 2 volumes now), but I think Viz slowed down on Bastard!! so that there's even less of a chance that they would catch up and then have to wait, literally, years between releasing volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2