• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Frieren: Beyond Journey's End GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, this sounds as good as the buzz around it suggested. I can't take on another ongoing manga series at this point, but this one remains tempting.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I've read this manga out there in the internets, and I was very impressed by the quality of storytelling and the focus it chooses to take. Although the backdrop is generic western fantasy, it chooses to do many things differently from the current norms; the article already refers to current FOTM the isekai tropes. There's also spoiler[how it portrays demons. It could be characterized as oldschool D&D approach. They are neither misunderstood, marginalized or treated unjustly. They are inhuman monsters; evil is in their very nature and they are not capable of thinking any differently - though they can pretend to if it serves their purposes. Frieren has no D&D alignments as far as I can tell but demons are much like Chaotic Evil being locked as theirs by decree of Monster Manual.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Art isn't quite up to the emotional tasks of the story

Given the manga is released weekly, and the chapters aren't exactly on the short end, it's probably as good as it gets, both the story(Kanehito Yamada), and art(Tsukasa Abe)...

Definitely a good manga.

If any of you ever have the fortune to come across Yamada's earlier, shorter, Bocchi Hakase to Robot Shoujo no Zetsubou Teki Utopia, set in a post-apocalyptic setting, I highly recommend checking it out, you won't regret it.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
I have almost nothing but praise for the manga, though there is later arc that is a bit slow, and would recommend it for everyone. Once we get to meet more characters, it gets even better. I agree with Tenebrae that it is also pretty unique in its portrayal of the demons, spoiler[but I don't think they are evil in human sense as much as inhuman like aliens, extremely sociopathic, like vampires from Blindsight, which combined with their power makes them natural enemies of humanity despite many of them not being depicted as malicious.]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Frieren's problems seems to be one part reconnecting with friends and realizing they have moved on with their lives, as have you, and one part living with cats (or other pets) who's life span is only a fraction of yours. Both parts being highly relatable. I'll have to look this up.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I just read the first volume and I can't believe how good it is. I was definitely left feeling very melancholic and I look forward to reading future volumes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I was debating on getting this or not during a holiday purchase over at RightStuf in the near future. I've been borrowing more and more titles from the library lately, as opposed to purchasing them. Only so much space, and money, for all the various titles. Trying to limit how many new series I start buying, but this sounds like one I would go back and re-read down the road as well. I think it has graduated from the wishlist to the shopping cart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1