• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
I know the anime does not seem to be going well but I can tell you the manga is just as disappointing, sadly.

I couldn't help but lol when I looked up the ending.

I liked it. Sure, I'm still laughing about it, but it was a series of stupid decisions and debates that mathematically led to that point. I think the most obvious reasoning for this is what was said in this latest review: The author does not believe for a second in the ideals his MC is supposed to represent. Even his reasoning of not hating people is self-centered - it's not that you shouldn't hate people because everyone should have a chance at redemption, it's about not hating them because it's bad for you and you won't be happy that way. And that's also true, but I don't know guys, Light Yagami seemed pretty happy to me when he was extinguishing what he hated, so I'll take a wild guess and say that the author doesn't even believe in that.
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I really can't say I'm surprised.

I read the manga when I was in Japan and I remember finding the first few volumes to be pretty good. At that stage there was plenty happening and I wanted to see where it was going. As the series went on, the quality started to slip and the after the half-way point it was really not that good. And the ending itself was a horrendous dumpster fire, that felt like a middle finger.

Which breaks my heart because I like Death Note and enjoyed what I read of Bakuman. Platinum End started well and it could have become a really unique and compelling examination with what it presents, but it never gets past the surface.

As a result I had no interest in an anime adaptation, save for the possibility that the people working on it may possibly have had the good sense to reshape the material into something much more effective. However that does not seem to be the case.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me of Babylon (not in a good way) as that also relied on exploitative shock horror (at least for the last 2 arcs)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
This show reminds me of Babylon (not in a good way) as that also relied on exploitative shock horror (at least for the last 2 arcs)

So many better directions Babylon could have gone in Sad. Also the way it was presented seems impossible to explain as anything other than spoiler[supernatural], but apparently the manga adaptation is the opposite and uses some of the explanations I’d assumed earlier in the series like spoiler[the focus on the air vent during the interrogation scene hinting that the chemical she’d developed was being pumped into the ventilation system.] Not certain how that can be reconciled with some of the things that came later?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about how terrible the ending is its just making want to read the manga.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
All this talk about how terrible the ending is its just making want to read the manga.

If you want me to save you the time.

Ending don't click unless you want to lol spoiler[The new god (that isn't the MC but the MC is alive at the time) kills himself and it ends up killing everything on Earth and the planet becomes a barren desert. The end!]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
A most wonderful way to kill any love of the series.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote
This is by the same man who wrote and drew Death Note?
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So personally I'm just thankful to have a character – any character – who does something besides sit in Saki's house for the whole episode arguing about what they should do.

Hoo boy ain't that bar low. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Seriously though, it was a pretty bad episode despite that. Also, doesn't Mukaido remind anyone of the staple detective character these type of series usually have? But they made him a clothes designer instead so he can dress the MC duo in sentai costumes. This will never not crack me up! Laughing
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
This is by the same man who wrote and drew Death Note?

Same writer/artist duo to be pedantic, but yes.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing the MC has an easy name to remember cos I'm barely digesting the plot. I don't want to throw the same coin as everybody but the portrayal of female characters in this series kinda proves the rumors about Ohba.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is that I dropped this manga on chapter 3 or so.

Can't remember why, something felt off, looks like I made the right choice.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
(Spoilers for ep 10.) Imho the fact that spoiler[“spin in a small circle so fast you become undetectable by any possible method”] is one of the better ideas in this series isn’t the strongest recommendation.

I can’t remember the details but, taking for granted they’re phasing through the light and air without disturbing it while also being unable to phase through other matter for whatever reason (not a totally unreasonable conceit I guess since the instant flight wouldn’t really work otherwise), did they say they could spoiler[escape through any opening e.g. even one much too small for a human to fit through? If so, the place must be airtight and they’d suffocate. If not, the bad guys could stick a hose through a hole and fill the place with poison gas or liquid concrete or foam or something. To be honest it should be possible to do that even without breaking the seal, just by sealing something around the hose and whatever tool you’re going to use to make the breach in advance.]
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Re: Episode 12 review: At least Future Diary had quite a few good or interesting character and plot ideas to mangle and burn on their own trash fire. Many of the relatively few ideas Platinum End has were dug out of its ashes.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
I have looked in other forums and there is this entire discourse of whether Kakehashi is a good character or not, and while usually the truth lies in the middle ground, in this case sorry guys but he's just atrocious. Not because he doesn't want to kill. The MC doesn't need to be OP or a cold blooded killer to be an interesting MC. He needs to be relatable enough and contribute to the plot in a way that makes you understand why you should root for him.

The series tried to give Mirai his first actual contribution when he stabbed the virus (even though that shouldn't technically work because viruses aren't living organisms, but that's the least of our problems) but then immediately took it back because an ally died exclusively out of his indecisiveness. He doesn't even win in the intellectual battles' department: Big pretty words with no substance or actual applicability to the situation don't win you a fight, and no matter how much he sugarcoats it, all he's doing is dodging responsibility and dumping the weight of the situation to anybody else. That will allow him to conveniently save his life and maintain his moral high ground so that he will be able to live his best life without ever having to make a tough decision and deal with its consequences, while somebody else takes the burn for him, like Hajime or Mukaido. Not very much heroic if you ask me. It's a pretty shitty thing to do.

And so, Kakehashi is a bad character because he's dumb, selfish, pretentious, cowardly, AND because the story rewards him for those characteristics instead of holding him responsible for his horrible decisions and lack of actions."It's not MY fault Hajime died! It's Metropoliman's fault! You are a cockroach Metropoliman!" No Mr Grade Schooler Level Insults, that one was exclusively your fault. That and the entirety of why this show suffers so much in the entertainment factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8