• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mieruko-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Just as I was beginning to think I might drop this series this episode pulls me back in.
The big spirit/demon/ghost creature using Hana to roast the smaller creatures was pretty amusing.
The shrine battle was great to see and I do have to wonder about the "three times" thing. I thought it might be related to the clapping/bowing you do at a shrine or something else, but looking online I couldn't find any answers to if the manga has addressed this at any point. Would any manga readers happen to know if it has been addressed or even referenced later on?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The shrine battle was great to see and I do have to wonder about the "three times" thing. I thought it might be related to the clapping/bowing you do at a shrine or something else, but looking online I couldn't find any answers to if the manga has addressed this at any point. Would any manga readers happen to know if it has been addressed or even referenced later on?

Spoiler marked in case others doesn't want to know the answer: spoiler[I believe it will be referenced in the next episode, unless I'm forgetting a few chapters between now and then.]
fromfaraway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Just as I was beginning to think I might drop this series this episode pulls me back in.
The big spirit/demon/ghost creature using Hana to roast the smaller creatures was pretty amusing.

Spoilers for in case others don't wanna see (but nothing major) spoiler[ The manga actually just finished up the full arc related to the shrine. Since the manga just wrapped it up, I don't think the anime will reach that point. There is a huge scene (my personal favorite moment in the manga) related to the shrine that happens about halfway- which is where I assume the anime will stop for the first season. I will say it should become apparent in the next few episodes what the "three times" means. ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
It never occurred to me that the monster was a hermit crab monster in an oil drum, but of course it is. Smile All I could think was that it was the horrific vengeance ghost of someone who'd been murdered and stuffed in an oil drum for disposal.
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I want to say that the steel drum hermit crab spirit is based on some established folklore or urban legend. I would swear that I've seen a similar spirit in another anime/manga I've seen/read recently, but for the life of me I can't remember which one. I want to say maybe Dandadan? But I only read the first dozen or so chapters of that on Manga+, and those are locked now. Though it is extremely possible that I'm merging a few different anime/manga story lines into one.

The story line was something along the line of: spoiler[old lady/hermit crab/metal drum spirit lives in an abandoned tunnel. There was misunderstandings with the heroes and a chase. But in the end it turned out the spirit was trying to protect the souls of some girls who had been killed/buried in her tunnel.]

Does that ring any bells for anyone, or does anyone know what story/legend it may be based on, or am I just dreaming it?

Edited to spoiler the story line, in case I'm not actually making it up.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested to see what Steve thinks of the next arc's conclusion. (Major arc spoiler) spoiler[Once again, appearances are very misleading in regards to "evil" cat guy.]

Long-term I'll be interested to see what Miko ends up doing with her abilities. While we've definitely seen that not all the scary spirits are actually dangerous, it also seems like there are other spirits that can be very dangerous. Unfortunately, up to this point, it doesn't appear like there's a clear means by which to distinguish the benevolent, the neutral, and the malicious from each other without Miko exposing herself to danger.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
I guess I should give a shout-out to This week in anime. The column about this series a couple of weeks ago made me start watching the series, which I wouldn't have had time for otherwise.

Watching the series made me pick up the manga.

So: hey publishers and producers, ANN delivers!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
I keep finding myself wanting a Natsume Yuujinchou crossover. Very Happy She needs the counsel of someone more experienced with spirits and youkai, and some backup from Nyanko-sensei wouldn't hurt. I might have to go look for some fanfic... >.>

(ha, found one! Very short. It was going pretty good, but they've already abandoned it before ending it, darn it. Very Happy)

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
That was quite the elaborate event for a donut shop Laughing

Quote:
Chocolate-chip melon bread yakisoba pan
I wonder why they didn't translate 'pan' in the subs, just a simple mistake?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to read theories on Toono and the big ghost haunting him.

Duck Du Normandie wrote:
I want to say that the steel drum hermit crab spirit is based on some established folklore or urban legend. I would swear that I've seen a similar spirit in another anime/manga I've seen/read recently, but for the life of me I can't remember which one.

Does that ring any bells for anyone, or does anyone know what story/legend it may be based on, or am I just dreaming it?

The oil drum hermit crab also feels extremely familiar to me. I want to say Urasekai Picnic because it was the kind of show, but I don't think that was it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plot-wise, the most important thing is the confirmation that she can see Hana's aura, while Miko can't.

That's definitely interesting as you'd think that Miko being stronger in her perception would give her "access" to all these things in the world. Instead there's different categories, spirits, auras, etc. I wonder what other 'sights' might be available in this world and what stronger versions of them would offer the viewer. Like, could a stronger aura sight let someone see everyone's aura, not just those with strong ones like Hana?
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
I finally got the manga and read through vol. 4 (in English) and I just had to make two comments.

1. I am in absolute awe at what the animators have been able to do with this! The manga is good, I am definitely going to keep up with it. But, without particularly changing the story, the depth and nuance that have been added just with small movements, expression changes, prolonged pauses, and adding detail to the background... it is truly amazing! I just keep thinking about it. All the kudos to the anime team!

2. Holy crap, I cannot wait to see the end of this arc animated!!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Having read through volume 4 of the manga, I've been sitting on my hands through the current arc. I can't wait to see Steve's reaction to this most recent episode.

This series is quite good, but it's got some truly excellent source material to work from.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
With this series, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the neighborhood cat killer is the vet.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:45 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting that twist, but I’m glad the teacher is a good guy and Miko chose to help him (and Hana, hopefully exorcising the teacher’s abusive mom ghost will curb her appetite). My biggest frustration with the story right now is that Yulia is still afraid of Miko. I really hope they clear up their misunderstanding and learn to work together, and maybe the elderly spiritualist can come back and mentor them. They need all the help they can get, and Miko’s learning that ignoring her ability doesn’t make the problem go away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5