• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, congratulations on reaching the 1000 episodes mark, One Piece anime. On the other, if the pacing of the anime hadn't slowed to crawl after the time skip, we needn't be here yet. Though perhaps given the inherently long natures of Dressrosa, Whole Cake Island and Wano, we'd only be a hundred episodes lesser even if with more chapters adapted per episode.

Also I have no idea how anyone plans to physically own the anime or the manga at this point. Both can take up the space of an entire bookshelf at this point.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One Piece joins rarified company this week, hitting one thousand episodes of television. It's been a ride, hasn't it folks?

Sure, its been a ride, but it would have been better had they adapted the 1000th chapter on the 1000th episode, which they had 1 chance to do. Instead they kept it slow and only adapted the rest of 989 up to page 5 of 990. The real celebration will be around episode 1010 when chapter 1000 will air. Unfortunately, I assume they'll treat it as a normal episode and won't promote it like they did ep 1000 even though they promoted chapter 1000 heavily it last year.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
So with the praise of the Oars stuff, are we just going to forget that they just re-used the exact same flashback from only 2 episodes ago?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
1002: I actually found that during all the non-X-Drake scenes the animation quality took a pretty sharp nosedive. Weird-looking stills/frames really gave the feeling of "Okay, 1000 was two weeks ago, back to the regular junk now".
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This fight between the Akazaya and Kaido was easily one of my favorite battle scenes from the entire series. Toei is just knocking it out of the park with the big climactic moments in this arc. It's been an absolute joy to watch.
Cutty Mink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think you (Anime News Network) should consider changing how you do episode reviews.

Due to OP's pacing, it feels like most reviews now are just "here's a summary of things and bits I found cool".

I don't blame the reviewer. I am assuming that writing in depth about an anime that routinely adapts less than a chapter per episode is difficult. Not only that but I wouldn't be surprised if the reviewer is only getting paid for these short lengths as well.

These reviews (in my opinion) aren't very interesting due to these factors outside of the author's control.

Please consider reviewing more episodes at a time. You could do two episodes at a time or even four episodes at a time once a month.

With so little happening each episode, and with the reviewer having to open and close each small review, it just feels monotonous.

Grant Jones deserves a chance to show his writing/critic chops; this current format isn't doing that.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. But Luffy is the “man” who will become Pirate King.

あいつは海賊王になる男だ!
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
I actually second the motion someone already mentioned and you seem to prime in this review...you are talking about Wano and One Piece week after week after week. This week's double review I think actually serves you better. It gives you more to talk about and has some bigger moments to discuss.

I would be fine with switching your weekly reviews to a bi-weekly schedule. Especially if it gives you more time to dig into themes and ideas. I would at least test it until the end of Wano. Just a suggestion, but doing so might get people more engaged with these reviews especially if you have a hot take or a interesting ideas/thoughts on some big moments.
me_barron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
Ngl, Wano ark is getting tediously boring. Doesn't help that next week's episode is a recap. Why so many recaps? As the boys in Letterkenny would say, pitter patter. Get to the final fight with Kaido. All these little side fights and ice oni drama is kinda meh.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week's entry is a prime example of how Wano fatigue can lessen what would otherwise be a great episode. This “outbreak of ice oni weapon in the midst of the battle” narrative thread isn't the b-plot of the Onigashima Raid, or even the C-plot. It's one of half a dozen simultaneous battles happening across the structure, literally and metaphorically happening beneath a titanic struggle that will set the stage for a new era. This is also a plot thread that has been unfolding for weeks (months? I can't even recall) amongst all the other things going on in this battle.

I stopped reading the manga not long after Wano started, shortly after Kaidou kicked Luffy's while barely noticing him.
Doesn't this describe pretty much every One Piece arc?
me_barron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 am Reply with quote
Lame! Hated this episode. Why is that clown still alive when they had such a great episode where he was killed. Wano fatigue at its worst with them pulling off this bullshit.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
So hey, could we maybe NOT blatantly spoil the gotcha moment from last episode right in the thumbnail and description on the homepage? Not everyone gets the chance to watch the new episode within 24 hours of it being released. I usually watch with a group of friends later in the week, but now I know exactly what's going to happen without even looking for it. This should be a no-brainer, guys.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I really hate how the fights are filled with useless vfxs.
It's so god damn confusing, why do they feel the need to add all of that mess?

Yeah, sure - "they're not really here", "that is just an artistic choice" ... uuh... no? It's a mess dood... come on, man... damn.

Top Gun wrote:
So hey, could we maybe NOT blatantly spoil the gotcha moment from last episode right in the thumbnail and description on the homepage? Not everyone gets the chance to watch the new episode within 24 hours of it being released. I usually watch with a group of friends later in the week, but now I know exactly what's going to happen without even looking for it. This should be a no-brainer, guys.

I know, right?
There were an enormous spoiler in the homepage, some days ago.
Guess they just don't care enough?
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
Even if Film Red didn't exist, it would still be worth remembering that one additional reason for these anime tie-in episodes or more generally speaking for "filler" episodes as a whole is significantly more practical and reasonable than that acknowledged in the review.

To put it in simple terms, the teams of animators responsible for bringing you all that good animation quality during the Wano arc can still use a break from time to time to catch their breath. They're not machines, so any opportunity to have someone else step in for a couple of weeks is valuable from their perspective. You'll get back to all of that Wano content sooner rather than later.

That said, this particular situation is slightly awkward. I assume the original plan was for these couple of "anime only" episodes to air before the official premiere of the movie in Japan. That didn't happen, apparently due to the unexpected delays in the broadcast schedule when Toei's servers were compromised earlier.

Therefore, most people in Japan were able to go see the movie without first looking at these episodic preludes, which are thus confirmed as entirely optional rather than obligatory. They can still give you a little extra context for the film, but particularly if you're outside of Japan or France, which is more or less ironic in this specific case.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
hold on!?

wasnt the shanks recap ep supposed to be 1031 (since like 1029 & 1030 its tie in to the red arc) and this new episode aupposed to be 1032!?

on the official toei youtube website, thats how they have the preview videos numbered! this week as 1032 & last week as 1031!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 49