• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Restaurant to Another World Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
He is indeed a cis guy who gets mistaken for a girl. I think they missed the mark with the design, he doesn't look feminine at all, just plain.

I think that its 2 fold, 1, He cut his hair to make himself look more masculine and 2, I don't think most people can correctly define a cis-man, meaning there's no stereotype yet for studios to base there characters off of, which is a good thing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
I don't think they specified in the episode what kind of meat they're wrapped in, so I'm curious if that's mentioned in the source material; the ones I'm familiar with were wrapped in ground sausage.

From the novel: "thinly diced meats" "he could immediately taste the meat below. It had been salted and seasoned perfectly, bringing out the savoriness of the fatty meat and the sweetness of the vegetables." Also the dipping sauce is a hot chili sauce.
earl.m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
To what intent does authorial intent matter? It should matter a lot when dealing with a work originating from another culture. Because while the reviewer is reading Emilio as a queer or trans character that isn't how the source material depicts him at all. Instead according to the source material Emilio is merely just another "effeminate boy who gets mistaken for a girl" character that is very common in manga and anime. There are two particularly infamous examples of entire works based on this. One of which shall never be named or spoken of but the other - Minamoto-kun Monogatari - is one that will NEVER get an anime adaptation.

Giving Emilio a queer or trans reading is a westerner erasing the original intent of the non-western author. The whole "effeminate male" thing that you oft encounter in anime has a history specific to Japan (and some parts of Asia more generally): local cultures and values being challenged and threatened by globalism. In times past, having stereotypically feminine features and mannerisms was considered the apex of attractiveness for males, particularly in the educated, aristocratic classes. Indeed, Minamoto-kun Monogatari is a deconstruction of "The Tale of Genji" which was about a playboy prince who was "so beautiful he should have been a woman". However, globalism has flooded Japan with entirely different standards of male attractiveness. This has been the source of ... angst, which includes but is not limited to the fact that what was traditionally associated with cultured and refined desirability in males is associated with queerness in other cultures. While Japan is historically more tolerant of LGBT than many areas of the world traditionally have been, nonetheless the vast majority of Japanese males are cishet and do not want to be taken for or treated otherwise. Yet there is this very real desire not to reject Japanese tradition and simply allow the west to set the standards of how Japanese should look and behave.

Your choosing to read Emilio this way can actually be taken for erasure. Especially since there is no shortage of queer and trans characters in anime. Take a mainstream shonen hit like My Hero Academia. Villain Big Sis was trans, and hero Yawara Chatora is a trans woman whose superhero teammates are all cishet women. More still: you have All-Might, whose hero persona is a parody of American hypermasculine superheroes: tall, bulging muscles, blonde hair, blue eyes, confident swagger, went to train in America and names his attacks after American cities and states etc. Yet All-Might fails to save Japan. So does the hypermasculine domestic abuser Endeavor, and the hypermasculine caricature Bakugo doesn't either. That falls to Midoriya, for whom the author reused a female character design from Oumagadoki Zoo. That is just one example of MANY to illustrate why western reviewers shouldn't erase the authorial intent of Japanese creators. There is no need to, and it ignores how Japan - and non western cultures generally - view LGBT issues very differently than we do.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This episode is probably one of the few times I'm okay with the verbose, absurdly pinpoint descriptions (while dodging naming the actual ingredient itself as if they're playing Taboo) of the food due to it revolving around characters who actually cook, are studying cooking and/or looking to improve themselves.

The way Jonathan responds to the food actually takes time to break it down and even tastes different parts individually felt very natural, whereas it's often felt forced and formulaic even if it completely breaks character. i.e. Fardania's description of how batter is made still got a bit of a groan out of me.

Not everyone is a world-class chef with decades of training and can isolate every taste and preparation method in 1-2 bites, and the fact that the career cook of the show takes time and effort to work out the different flavors made me enjoy this particular episode.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Green Tea Shaved Ice is from Volume 5 Chapter 89.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:29 am Reply with quote
The Green Tea Shaved Ice was the first food I thought was not animated correctly. i've had shaved ice plenty of times before both western style and Japanese style and the thing the threw me off was as the ice melts the ends of the ice become less pointy and they round off the edges.
they some what captured the effect when applying the syrup, but looks like instead of capturing it melting they just lowered the ice in the bowl (the ice is in the background and the bowl in the foreground, pull the ice down to make it look like it disappeared, old cartoon trick)
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was a pretty good Kuro episode, all things considered. We get the oblique but pointed references to the "Lord of Black" in the first half, and Kuro keeping the peace in both (with faster-than-the-eye-can-follow weapon confiscation in the second half). The final vignette of her returning to the perpetually half-destroyed moon, taking her dragon form, and then immediately settling down to sleep (presumably for six days) is a fine but understated bit of character exposition.
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Episode 8 was a pretty good Kuro episode, all things considered.

It was. The vampires don't realize that they are in the presence of their god, of course, but does Kuro know that they are her worshippers?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the scotch eggs, I've had them a couple of times before (they sometimes can be found at Ren Faires), so I was particularly interested to see how they would get portrayed here. They were finger food the times I've had them, so I found the fork-and-knife treatment to be a bit odd, but visually they looked the same as what I remember, down even to the dipping sauce on the side.

Well, I mean, the Japanese even often eat fries and chips with chopsticks, so I'm not surprised lol
druv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
I was starting to worry the show would go in an unexpectedly cruel direction by revealing to the elves that the secret of the jelly was gelatin.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
There really is a gelatin alternative derived from seaweed. It is called agar and is used in Asian countries.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Isn't "Macaroni Gratin" simply macaroni and cheese?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I expect it depends on how you make Mac & Cheese. Wink

The recipe that I use (which I got from my mother when I began cooking for myself) involves mixing melted cheese into a white sauce and covering the cooked macaroni with it so it is the same throughout. Most of the other variations* I have had are similar. On the other hand, as described in both the anime and the novel, their version has the macaroni in just the white sauce (knights sauce). This has bits of vegetable and meat mixed in, similar to what is done with fried rice. The cheese is limited to a layer on top. It sounds different and rather tasty.

*Note: I've never eaten the Mac& Cheese from Kraft that comes dried in a box. I gather that later generations of college students have live on it.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

I expect it depends on how you make Mac & Cheese. Wink

I googled the recipe for Macaroni Gratin and one of the first results was a recipe for Japanese Style Macaroni Gratin, The author claims the difference is Japanese style is lighter and less dependent on the cheese flavor of something like what you would get in the west.

I think it would be funny to see one of the people from the other world get fat from the food at Nekoya, a good comedic break.

This was one of my favorite because we got to learn for about some the characters from the first season, Chocolate Parfait was not as strong but I appreciated the diplomatic stuff.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's only in the company of the various denizens of his sprawling world that he sits down and eats the world's most delicious looking quiche. (And I say that as someone who can't tolerate eggs due to scent sensitivities.)

I don't really care for shrimp myself, but I love quiche and the one shown/described in this episode really gave me some hunger pangs Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3