• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Hathaway Producer: 2nd Film May Not Open Before 2024

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess the social distancing made development of the film quite harder. Still, is Tomino's novel about Hathaway that long? I mean, Char's Counterattack was based on a single novel.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I guess the social distancing made development of the film quite harder. Still, is Tomino's novel about Hathaway that long? I mean, Char's Counterattack was based on a single novel.

From what a friend told me, Murase-san likes to go on location to get scenery in his head, and Australia's international borders have been closed since late March 2020 - and even if he could apply for and get an exemption (the majority of exemptions that have been publicised here are those of people in the entertainment industry), interstate travel is still difficult or impossible because several states have closed their borders to states with COVID outbreaks. Not exactly conducive to location scouting.

At this stage, the earliest Australia's international borders are going to open up to tourists is first quarter of next year, and now it's a waiting game whether the latest variant of the virus is going to push this back at all.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Oof long wait.

Though I wasn't that fond of the first movie (though the animation was great)…
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
If it keeps the staff safe and allows them to deliver as stunning a visual product, I don't mind waiting longer.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

CCA was not based on a single novel. The movie is actually the second half of a trilogy called Hi Streamer.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 pm Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
Oof long wait.

Though I wasn't that fond of the first movie (though the animation was great)…

Great animation is the main thing I expect out of Gundam movies. The stories in the films seldom tend to be all that good... but the animation? That often approaches the best the medium has to offer.

But, man, feels like it's been ages since we've had a TV show, and these movie/OVAs always seem to get extended and delayed, pandemic or no.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
Sumimasen de shita, So I guess it is our country's fault (Australia) that is why there is a major delay then. Rolling Eyes
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
I have no issues with the technical craft of the first film but it was such a pile of nothing story. Waiting another 3 years and then maybe the same time for the conclusion of a now 31/32-year-old story is bizarre. The definition of an obligation watch for me. Must be weird for Netflix too. Imagine being a casual anime viewer and seeing the final film in the suggestion box 6 years later after you forgot that this even existed.

The film´s story is also getting a manga at the same time. Must be awkward for that team too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

From what a friend told me, Murase-san likes to go on location to get scenery in his head, and Australia's international borders have been closed since late March 2020 - and even if he could apply for and get an exemption (the majority of exemptions that have been publicised here are those of people in the entertainment industry), interstate travel is still difficult or impossible because several states have closed their borders to states with COVID outbreaks. Not exactly conducive to location scouting.

At this stage, the earliest Australia's international borders are going to open up to tourists is first quarter of next year, and now it's a waiting game whether the latest variant of the virus is going to push this back at all.

I know it's not ideal but I wonder if he considered doing VR location scouting where they hire locals to shoot areas with VR set ups so that they can walk around a virtual location.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
I mean, they call it "location scouting," but it's not like they're actually going to use any of the locations. It's just an excuse to go on vacation on the company's dime.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope the planned SEED movie (delayed for like 15 years) and the Cucuroaz Doan's Island movie doesn't get delayed. Narrative was already a big flop despite being a UC era film and building off Unicorn. I expect the Netflix movie to get panned so I am not taking that into account.

Not having the second film will likely mean they have to delay certain Gunpla releases. I don't see Gundam as the same recognition as Eva where delays build up hype. Hathaway only got a lot of Western viewership because it was on the most used streaming service and people stumbled onto it. It is not because Gundam has a large foreign fanbase that eagerly anticipates movies. SAOP already released 1 month after Japan and a followup sequel next year, and has much more foreign interest than Hathaway.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:09 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Let's just hope the planned SEED movie (delayed for like 15 years) and the Cucuroaz Doan's Island movie doesn't get delayed. Narrative was already a big flop despite being a UC era film and building off Unicorn. I expect the Netflix movie to get panned so I am not taking that into account.

Not having the second film will likely mean they have to delay certain Gunpla releases. I don't see Gundam as the same recognition as Eva where delays build up hype. Hathaway only got a lot of Western viewership because it was on the most used streaming service and people stumbled onto it. It is not because Gundam has a large foreign fanbase that eagerly anticipates movies. SAOP already released 1 month after Japan and a followup sequel next year, and has much more foreign interest than Hathaway.

Define a flop. It certainly wasn't a flop by Japanese standards. Also, the love action movie isn't a Netflix movie. People need to drop that. It's a Legendary and Sunrise production that's only DISTRIBUTED by Netflix.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Don't reply to trolls. Report them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1