• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Washington Post: Man With Omicron Variant Went to Anime NYC With 35 Friends — Half Also Diagno

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YuumeiKira

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
Why do they keep organising these events and why do people keep going?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
35????

Like, I only met up. with... 3 people the whole con.
Even in the autograph line I tried to keep my distance and didn't talk to people much.

Some people on Facebook are saying unvaccinated attendees tried to bypass the requirement but I'm wondering if they are deliberately trying to cause mistrust and chaos.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention insisting that contracting the virus confers a significant amount of immunity equal or even greater than the vaccine. Even if you don’t think is dangerous objectively is dangerous since people have been parroting this claim for months even after last year when you had people willingly ignoring safety precautions to attend public functions with a large number of people and getting themselves (or others) infected with the virus unconcerned of the risks.

Showing many of these people didn’t learn a damn thing/don’t care.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
You had to be vaccimated to enter so there shouldn't be any problem.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
510 wrote:
You had to be vaccimated to enter so there shouldn't be any problem.

Let's put it this way, had the event been attended by an unvaccinated crowd, the problem might very well have been a magnitude worse, with covid spread chains all over the country making tracking hard, and health services that can't keep up and end resorting to prioritizing who gets care first. Here, there's still a chance it can be contained, or at least kept at a manageable level.

The main problem and cause is a big event with lots of people was held too soon...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
We are closing out the second year of COVID. We just need to accept that it is not going away. Even if we somehow vaccinated every single citizen of the United States, we would still be dealing with COVID infections. Multiple variants/mutations will still be popping up all over the globe yearly. Sooner or later the government will be forced to make the vaccine mandatory, and the booster shots will have to be tailored to the variants. Much like our yearly flu shots.

There is no post COVID world. It will take years for COVID to gradually become just like the FLU.

After two year of COVID restrictions, there is no such thing as too soon. COVID is here to stay, and we just have to learn to live with it.

Me and my spouse are around 60 years of age, she has an underlying medical condition, we are fully vaccinated, and will be getting the booster shot when it is our time. We will probably be wearing masks outside of the home for far into the foreseeable future.

But after all this time, we are going to have to make peace with COVID, make our own personal risk assessments, and learn to live with COVID. It is not going away.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Removed misinformation and responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
We are closing out the second year of COVID. We just need to accept that it is not going away. Even if we somehow vaccinated every single citizen of the United States, we would still be dealing with COVID infections. Multiple variants/mutations will still be popping up all over the globe yearly. Sooner or later the government will be forced to make the vaccine mandatory, and the booster shots will have to be tailored to the variants. Much like our yearly flu shots.

There is no post COVID world. It will take years for COVID to gradually become just like the FLU.

After two year of COVID restrictions, there is no such thing as too soon. COVID is here to stay, and we just have to learn to live with it.

Me and my spouse are around 60 years of age, she has an underlying medical condition, we are fully vaccinated, and will be getting the booster shot when it is our time. We will probably be wearing masks outside of the home for far into the foreseeable future.

But after all this time, we are going to have to make peace with COVID, make our own personal risk assessments, and learn to live with COVID. It is not going away.

I agree, Its not going away anytime soon and I think thats becoming very clear. Im not vaccinated but I still wear a mask everywhere I go and keep my distance and im still able to do things but we just have to learn to navigate around covid because at this point thats all we can do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1