• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Old2Care

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Bobobo-bo-Bobobo to show up with his "Fist of the Nose Hair" to save the day. I love when I have no idea what is going on.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, when I first heard The Fruit of Evolution had a dominatrix lady as a character, and a one-note stereotype of an attempted running gag at that, I had a certain image in mind. Mid to late 20s, raven hair done up in a bun or ponytail, large breasts, leather teddy with matching gloves and boots, a bullwhip as her weapon of choice, maybe even a domino mask... the quintessential image of what a dominatrix is like at her most basic.

And you're telling me - showing me - that said dominatrix lady is a blonde girl who looks like a teenager, dresses like a generic fantasy character in standard cloths, and doesn't even have a paddle, let alone a whip, crop, flogger, french tickler, what have you as her signature tool?

Truly, The Fruit of Evolution: Stupid as F*ck Subtitle is the place where even lowered expectations go to die in the greatest agony imaginable.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
Seiichi's guild turned out to be even more amusing than I expected.

Also nice to see the Harem fight and Saria to finally use her Gorilla abilities.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to propose an addendum to James' rating this week borrowing a line from the game Skyrim "May God have mercy on your soul, because the Vigilants of Anime have none to give..." Mad I can't wait for next week to give my final "alternate review" and I only pray to the God of Anime that this show doesn't have a surprise 13th episode. However fitting such would be given the devil metaphor in James' review this week...

BTW, here is a speculative article excerpt about Season 2 (from Monsters and Critics' Patrick Frye)...The main issue is that the low reviews haven’t necessarily translated into lower streaming revenue. The anime was regularly featured in the Top 5 of Crunchyroll’s popular anime section right next to Demon Slayer: Kimetsuo no Yaiba, The World’s Finest Assassin, and Takt op. Destiny.

And just because professional critics lampoon a TV show doesn’t kill its chances of being renewed. The Arifureta Season 2 release date is in 2022, by the way. And maybe there’s hope for The Fruit of Evolution Season 2 since many 2021 isekai anime were renewed for a second season, including Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy Season 2 and Spirit Chronicles Season 2.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
It was an honor not to read your reviews, James, but I'm glad you liked it.

Anyway, I personally liked it... what the hell, I liked it a lot. It was stupidly funny and always managed to make me laugh. Also, Kana Hanazawa was a good hook haha.

Speaking of her, Saria teased a second season. I don't know how possible that might be but I'd be happy to watch it.
2Old2Care

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm truly sorry you never learned to enjoy this anime as much as I did. It was a very silly, simple and in many ways stupid production. Some of the things I really liked were that the main character's yelling at each other was kept to a minimum, the characters were nice and respectful to each other and didn't fight among themselves often. They weren't cruel or belittling. The main character didn't have amnesia and was very self aware of his OP status and didn't want to abuse it. He never lost his humanity. He also didn't totally freakout whenever a woman showed interest in them. Most of the anime comedies I've seen lately seem to have all of the negative aspects I've mentioned and they make me cringe more than laugh. Of course, my sense of humor seems to differ from most people.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I never watched this but I enjoyed the reviews, so even if it really was as bad as James says, at least some good came out of it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So first they introduce Kamen Rider and Saria seems like she knows something about a second season...will Seiichi's life ever become normal?

At least he and his Harem are finally on the path to reuniting with his classmates, just as the Demon Lord and his apostles finally make their move.
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime was not as good as the manga. But I would have said it was okay if the hadn't ruined the Lincoln joke (and bleeped his name for some reason) and changed Olga/Oliga's backstory. But they f'ed up on both, so yeah, bad adaptation of a decent manga. Nowhere near 'worst of all time' but not good.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally this sh*tshow is over and I absolutely enjoyed the reading review, it's the only thing entertaining related to this abomination Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
To fulfill the obligation I accepted at the beginning answering James' challenge to analyze this show every week as punishment for making him review the show, I submit this retrospective that undoubtedly no one asked for or cares about and which will likely be the last word on the subject. I pledged to be positive to James' negative to provide a contrast and I will try to carry that through here but have to say "James, you got me GOOD! You'll pay somehow...". Mad But, of course he will never see this as he and I think everyone else has moved on to much better things.

Believe it or not, I have spent some time considering what positives could be gleaned (beyond "it's FINALLY over!") and how it was possible that some people actually seemed to be unironically enjoying the show and even to find it funny. As someone on the mild end of the Autism spectrum, it is hard for me to understand where most people are coming from under good circumstances and I find it baffling how some received the show like that. My best psychoanalysis is that those must be people that absolutely HATE game-like isakai harem shows with a fiery passion and really relish seeing a show try to be like those but so utterly failing at it. While the show is a parody, I could see how the jokes could be funny in print but truth be told, subtleties in the adaptation/execution robbed them of any inherent humor. Though I could pull a Creamer and say it was a masterpiece of absurdist humor and as uproariously funny as Lost Village. And I do like and understand comedy, Konosuba as my witness.

Positives, positives~~Well, for starters there was no atrocious CGI. The color palate was bright and the artwork and traditional 2D animation were OK without much "jank". The VAs similarly did OK and you could tell Seiichi's was really trying to sell the non-humor throughout. However, yelling in reaction to things does not make them funny without the proper setup. The girls were drawn "hot" enough to be enjoyable but again at midrange relative to other shows and they didn't do things too overtly stupid. The supporting cast guys and especially the Crazy Guild members took that cake and in places crammed it up thier (...). Butt, no one got raped so that's a positive... Confused And all the girls love Seiichi too...And that's all I can think of. We won't talk about President Linco*n but it's likely to become a meme...

So in closing, the most positive rating I can give is a resounding MEH! If you want an actual comedy, pick any other show. Konosuba was great. If you want a hate-watch, again pick something else like Ex-Arm. I am sure TFoE will make at least one person's "worst" list of 2021 if not more unless Platinum End beats it out for that dishonor...
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I could see people in their explorative teen phase of anime fandom enjoying the series. For simple audacity and mild sexual fufilment. Similar to how I was able to enjoy shows I would consider trash these days back in my starting years. Though I feel like they where better then the likes of fruit of evolution things like Midori Days, DearS and the like where by no means good shows. Just wish fulfilment. I always remember a show called Girls Bravo that almost did the same thing but I just snapped. No I said, I cannot tolerate jokes about a guy trying to actively molest a 11 year old as a joke. This is just bad anime. Im glad we grow to learn whats wrong and should be avoided in time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7