• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: takt op. Destiny

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I think the ideas are too big for the length they have for this show. Easily could've had a 26 episode run and explored the characters and the relationships and added more to the world-building. It went so fast I couldn't feel for these characters like I wanted to. So now everything is coming off as rushed.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I think the ideas are too big for the length they have for this show. Easily could've had a 26 episode run and explored the characters and the relationships and added more to the world-building. It went so fast I couldn't feel for these characters like I wanted to. So now everything is coming off as rushed.

I think the opposite, honestly. The show had too many episodes, too much time spent doing little or nothing, If more of the middle episodes were meaningful, we might be looking at a better ending. Walkure, as an example, was introduced and developed a begrudging respect for Takt, and...only appears now to be knocked out an ignored? What a waste.

The kiss I'm rationalizing as adrenaline hormones and teenagers being a recipe for idiocy. Heaven + Hell=...Orpheus? That whole sequence makes no sense, but fair enough. The show runs on spectacle anyway, so as long as it provides that it'll be a good finale to watch on lunch break.
Waterdragon884

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
I hope they don’t kill off the main character. That’s never a good idea. Remember what happened with Akame ga Kill anime? Big disappointment.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
The kiss I'm rationalizing as adrenaline hormones and teenagers being a recipe for idiocy.

Am I missing something? Where has the show ever indicated that Anna is a teenager? All signs point to her being somewhere in her 20s, as per being the big sister type character that the review notes (making this sudden outburst equally random and creepy).
b-dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
b-dragon wrote:
The kiss I'm rationalizing as adrenaline hormones and teenagers being a recipe for idiocy.

Am I missing something? Where has the show ever indicated that Anna is a teenager? All signs point to her being somewhere in her 20s, as per being the big sister type character that the review notes (making this sudden outburst equally random and creepy).

I don't think anything specifies her age, so I'm just making the generic anime assumption that main characters are in their late teens, unless they are specifically pointed out as "old" or "an adult". Post-apocalyptic living could also result in kids growing up much quicker than current society.
Doesn't mean I'm right, though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
things heat up once Walkure makes a surprise reappearance, and Takt fulfills his true Conductor destiny by directing three Musicarts at once. To be honest, it's the kind of development I expected to see, like, six episodes ago. As fun as the three-and-a-Takt-way beat down is, I sure do find it curious how few of the presumably addictive gacha game mechanics that takt op. Destiny ended up incorporating into its premise.

I had the opposite reaction to this part. As soon as i saw Takt waving his wand with the three Musicarts zooming around, the show became too transparent in its final intent: "this could be you controling all these hot magical girls if you only download the game!". That on top of the early shots in the episode showing us a bunch of random Musicarts we've never seen before, since i guess the producers realized 11 episodes in that 5 waifus doesn't make for a very enticing gacha pool. It's the kind of obvious pandering that i have no patience for at this point in my life. Honestly i think they shouldn't have revealed the "original anime" was just a front for their multimedia project and instead just announce the gacha game at a later date -especially since it got delayed anyway. I think people would be more lenient on the production and story issues of an original passion project than they are on a glorified mobile game commercial
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
WTF WAS THAT KISS?!

I’ll give the show credit: that moment actually surprised me when nothing else in the episode did (except maybe the bad decision to knock Walkure, a potential ally, out cold). I’m glad I wasn’t the only one surprised by it; quite a few commenters on the Reddit discussion thread claimed they noticed that Anna was romantically interested in Takt. Uh, where?!

As for Heaven and Hell fusing into Orpheus, all I could think of was “DBZ did it better” and the Steven Universe song “Giant Woman.”
marijuanasama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
things heat up once Walkure makes a surprise reappearance, and Takt fulfills his true Conductor destiny by directing three Musicarts at once. To be honest, it's the kind of development I expected to see, like, six episodes ago. As fun as the three-and-a-Takt-way beat down is, I sure do find it curious how few of the presumably addictive gacha game mechanics that takt op. Destiny ended up incorporating into its premise.

I had the opposite reaction to this part. As soon as i saw Takt waving his wand with the three Musicarts zooming around, the show became too transparent in its final intent: "this could be you controling all these hot magical girls if you only download the game!". That on top of the early shots in the episode showing us a bunch of random Musicarts we've never seen before, since i guess the producers realized 11 episodes in that 5 waifus doesn't make for a very enticing gacha pool. It's the kind of obvious pandering that i have no patience for at this point in my life. Honestly i think they shouldn't have revealed the "original anime" was just a front for their multimedia project and instead just announce the gacha game at a later date -especially since it got delayed anyway. I think people would be more lenient on the production and story issues of an original passion project than they are on a glorified mobile game commercial

I got s*** on over on reddit over this but I agree 100%. It's pretty obvious someone at BandaiNamco pitched "pokemon, but instead of animals, men train women to fight each other". Then they made a touching, character-driven anime to cover up the glaringly problematic premise. It's a shame too since the artwork was solid, but the story as a whole is obviously just an ad for some gacha.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sagan's motivation was just so bad. The show had been so narrow in its focus on the US, with so little understanding of what the rest of the world looks like, that this sudden gesture towards global stability was hilarious in execution.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that very last shot made no sense to me except perhaps in a meta sense. And that was one of the weaker villain motivations I've seen in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrJeremyT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Anna wasn't a musicart, she joined as a conductor.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MrJeremyT wrote:

That was my sense, too, until I went back and looked at the final seconds of the episode, in which Anna appears to transform into a slightly different-appearing Destiny.
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
MrJeremyT wrote:

Exactly. It's what is called symbolism. She calls out Cosette/Destiny as she walks down the corridor and the animators wanted us to see Anna walking together as one with Cosette/Destiny's wishes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3