• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Okay, Tony K., now you've made me totally curious about Samurai Shodown! I have to see something so horrible that you returned it based on its content alone. It might be one of those "so unbelievably bad there's a perverse enjoyment in watching it" deals for me.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Good luck, Blood. Just make sure that whatever methods you use for finding it, you spend little to no money.

Back then, I think I had purchased it brand new from a Gamestop for $19.99 USD + tax.

However, the most extreme case of an unwanted home video I've ever had was when I bought the X-Men 4K trilogy box set. I had individual steelbooks for all 3 movies (the 4K trilogy itself was a digipack case, but I didn't want the steelbooks to go to waste), and I hated Last Stand so much that, after putting the disc in its own steelbook, I gave $1 to a friend of mine who actually likes the movie a lot, and I told him: "it's yours, now get this piece of shit out of my house." I paid someone to take a free movie (free to him, at least) that cost me $10 (was $30 for the trilogy, or $10 per movie, but I guess I actually lost $11 to get rid of the one). And thus, my house was made shit-free, aside from the occasional temporary bodily function kind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

But to get back on topic of unpopular anime opinions: I watched the entire first season of Hero Academia as well as a few from the beginning of the second...

...and haven't been able to progress any further. I really hate that hot-headed guy who hates the MC so much. Anyway, I will try again at some point... probably.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But to get back on topic of unpopular anime opinions...

N.b. High school/college rom-com shows make up a majority of what I watch, so my dislike of the following two shows is not due to genre.

It is highly rated, but I dropped watching Ouran High School Host Club part way through the first cour. I could not identify with the characters*, found the humor flat, and the visual design of the faces unattractive.

Found Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma to have (to me) very similar faults and similarly lost interest part way into the first cour.

*I have no problem with rich characters per se, as I like Yukino Yukinoshita and Yotsuba Nakano, but want to attack those characters who flaunt their superiority with a hammer and a sickle.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
I already mentioned it in the Currently Watching thread, but I think it belongs here.

I didn't find Odd Taxi enjoyable, mostly because I was indifferent to all of the characters. I enjoy multiple anime where it's mostly talking, but I found it tedious most of the time in Odd Taxi. I was actually interested in the plot, but not enough to put in the time to watch the whole thing.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
To add to my list of great shoujo that go overlooked, here's Waccha PriMagi!. It's the only thing I'm watching this season and it deserves so much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
Studio Khara should back the heck off when it comes to how American companies try to adapt and translate their works.

Case in point, compare the older ADV and Funimation dubs of Evangelion and the Rebuild movies to the new, Studio Khara approved and insisted upon Netflix and Amazon dubs. They seriously made me have to change to Japanese for every rewatch of 3.0+1.0.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this is popular but every Pretty Cure series needs a legal license somewhere. I really want to watch more but I hate the idea of piracy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
Often the easiest way to find a pure fun old anime (especially movies or OVAs) is to watch what is considered legendarily shit. Sometimes you'll end up with something boring or legit bad but usually insanely fun things like Apocalypse Zero/Kakugo no Susume, Mad Bull 34, Baoh, the Golgo 13 movie etc are considered "schlock" or often misunderstood as "unintentionally funny" because people don't notice willful camp and self-awareness. Most of Kazuo Koike's non-Lone Wolf and Cub work is this too, not just Mad Bull. Though the anime versions of Wounded Man and Crying Freeman are not very good, hence not all "schlock" designations geat good shows - just a lot. Beyond some pacing issues Mad Bull is a perfect tonal adaptation and the dub is unironically good.

You make some good points. I do consider Golgo 13 to be a good legit anime film and people will trash on it because it's gory. I find it odd that live action movies (that are not based on anime and manga) are considered to be classics despite being shockly as hell, but anime that has similar content gets look down upon. Movies like Robocop, Ichi the Killer, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, The Thing, New York Ripper, Day of the Dead, Maniac, The Beyond, The Toxic Avenger, Basic Instinct, Re-Animator, etc. are just as violent and sick as the anime from that era and yet they are considered to be classics and rated high. Meanwhile, many older violent anime movies and OVAs are rated low on Letterboxd.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
...I find it odd that live action movies (that are not based on anime and manga) are considered to be classics despite being shockly as hell, but anime that has similar content gets look down upon. Movies like Robocop, Ichi the Killer, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, The Thing, New York Ripper, Day of the Dead, Maniac, The Beyond, The Toxic Avenger, Basic Instinct, Re-Animator, etc. are just as violent and sick as the anime from that era and yet they are considered to be classics and rated high. Meanwhile, many older violent anime movies and OVAs are rated low on Letterboxd.

Is it only older anime that this applies to? Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) and Shin Seiki Evangerion (Neon Genesis Evangelion) are both gory and popular (the latter being both old and relatively new).

louis6578 wrote:
Studio Khara should back the heck off when it comes to how American companies try to adapt and translate their works.

Thankfully Anno lost the NGE subtitle battle; e.g., he wanted Shinji to be "Children Number Three" instead of the correct "Child Number Three".
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't get into newer Shonen anime and manga made post-1995. I used to like One Piece and Naruto when I was a pre-teen and teenager, but I lost interest in them when I was 17 or 18. The newer Shonen anime from the 2000s, 2010s and 2020s do nothing for me. I had people want me to watch Demon Slayer, but it looks so cliché for me. I'm a 30-year-old woman and I simply can't get into these anime titles. Even in my 20s, the popular Shonen stuff does nothing for me.

Outside of Tokyo Ghoul, and Parasyte, I never seen many popular seinen stuff that is market as much as Shonen.
Mihide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The over sexualization of female characters actively detracts from many anime. Especially when so many anime are focused on high school age characters.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mihide wrote:
The over sexualization of female characters actively detracts from many anime. Especially when so many anime are focused on high school age characters.

This.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Mihide wrote:

This.

Do we ignore the biological reality that almost all high school students are sexually mature and almost all have sexual drives (that contrary to popular opinion are not caused by peer pressure*)? That seems to lead to worse outcomes in rates of teen pregnancy and STD transmission in repressive countries (including much of the USA) than in the more liberal countries (e.g., northern Europe). This also ignores that women used to typically get married in the early to mid-teens and men in the mid to late teens until the increasing technology of society and resulting need for longer duration of education delayed entry into the work force. Funny (but not ha ha funny) how sex is used to sell almost everything (in the USA), but at the same time personal behavior is expected to conform to puritan standards.

I may be one of the few here that watched and enjoyed the Kanojo mo Kanojo (Girlfriend, Girlfriend) rom-com parody, and I did not find anything problematic with Saki Saki wearing a bunny suit (heck, her mother was practically encouraging her to have sex with Naoya), or Rika posting risque videos of herself on "MeTube".

Or of course, I may just be an out of touch person who is too old to conform to the latest social trends (as at least some of the moderators here seem to believe).

*Many less physically attractive students would have given almost anything to be free of sexual feelings in high school (based on the experiences on a certain defunct email forum that I will not name since the concept has been perverted far from what Alana (last name withheld) meant when she coined the term).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Mihide wrote:

Stuff like this is why no one can ever take anime seriously as an art form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 79 of 84