• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisicles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also won't soothe every BL fan's genre craving, ending as it does without even a kiss. (Although I believe that's a direct refutation of how Hiyakawa didn't respect Mikado's boundaries in the beginning; Mikado shows that he's willing to move at a pace comfortable for them both.)

I think this is a very good point in the ep 12 review. As much as part of me has wanted some relief from the tension between Mikado and Hiyakawa throughout most of the story, especially when reading the manga, I have also never felt all that comfortable with actually seeing a kiss between them the way things stood right up until basically the very end. It feels far more appropriate that they take their time together, now that they're on more level footing, to work their way towards the kind of relationship that they're both happy with.

That said, that was still one of the most romantic endings I could possibly imagine, kiss or no kiss.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that was an AMAZING finale, the last few episodes of the anime really showed how much better it could have been if it was longer/paced better. That being said, what we got was great and I'm glad I chose to watch it.

I agree that the ending was done really well even without any sort of kiss. I'll have to pick up the manga ASAP (SuBLime, please do physical releases!!)
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
Much like Blue Period, I think this adaptation was mostly carried by the strength of its source materials. It could've been much stronger in more capable hands with even just stronger art direction. That said, I'm still glad that we got an adaptation at all. The resolution to mikado and hiyakawa's journey, especially the scene right before they broke out, was immensely moving. Despite the unresolved sexual tension, Mikado and Hiyakawa have developed a bond more profound than those depicted in many romance-centric BL series in the end. I'll be checking out the manga after this.

Also, a huge thank you to Rebecca's weekly reviews, which I felt have enhanced my viewing experience with great insights and food for thoughts; I've looked forward to reading them every week.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Had a little thing called Endwalker eating my past few weekends, but I finally got around to the last three episodes, and... wowza. That was the ending it needed. it still sorta feels like Sensei was just doing stuff for the sake of it, since we were constantly reminded that nobody really knew why he was doing what he was doing, but he served his purpose all the same.

The lack of physical intimacy between Mikado and Hiyakawa is fine, honestly. At least the series didn't try to pretend that it wasn't "love," and spared us any well-meaning "oh but it's not like that, not that there's anything wrong with that," nonsense we usually get bundled with relationships like theirs.

Is there really no physical release for the manga? I have a dual-screen reader but it's really not the same.
daisicles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Is there really no physical release for the manga? I have a dual-screen reader but it's really not the same.

Sadly, no, not in English. This is one of Sublime's digital-only releases, which probably wasn't a bad call to make sales-wise when it was originally licensed (weird bl by a mangaka largely ignored by anglophone fandom doesn't exactly scream sales success), but I still wish I could have copies for my bookshelf.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
daisicles wrote:

Sadly, no, not in English. This is one of Sublime's digital-only releases

You can, however, get physical copies of two of her other titles, Dining Bar Akira and the short story collection Black Winged Love. Netcomics released both of them.

Thank you, Matcha8! They were some of my favorites to write, and I'm really glad you enjoyed them.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to finish this and I was sad that it was so underwatched in most of the anime communities I saw. It got really interesting in the later parts. Thank you for the reviews, Rebecca.
I kind of hope they will not try to redeem Sensei - he caused so much suffering that I'm not interested in seeing him going on with his life. It's enough that Erika goes on with her life mostly consequence free, aside form the talk from the policeman about her needing to think what happens to people on the other side of her actions and her brief period of self-cursing - I wonder if she ever gets to meet the daughter of the guy who got roped into murdering the woman and chopping them up, that was talking with the detective at one point. Still at least she was also a victim forced to participate as a kid, unlike Sensei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3