• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
takt op. Destiny (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
5:

I'm going to make it clear: nothing about the characters interest me. Nothing. The only thing that interests me is the plot (which isn't that riveting, to be honest). I just want to know where the story is going, that's all.

Are they bypassing Florida? Because that's the fun state.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the plotting might be too dumb even for me. I mean, when your villain actually verbalizes "I'm going to kill all the poors!" I'm inclined to believe that the plot is actually written by an experimental AI.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
7:

Even if the villain is revealed, I'm not engaged. Everything is just too simple, and that includes the villain Schindler. An egomaniac with a messiah complex who outright says "im gonna kill people i deem unworthy"? Doesn't even feel like the show's trying to be creative.

I had high hopes at first. Now, I'm just following for the sake of following.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
8:

Predictable.

No really, I honestly foresaw (almost) everything that would transpire in this episode: Takt losing his marbles, Lenny and Titan coming to assist, and Schindler ultimately being ostracized. I don't need to be clairvoyant to know all this was going to happen.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
11:

No.

From a scale of 1 to 10, the show just went from 3 to 12 overnight. Not buying it. No buildup or anything leading up to the climax so rather than feeling "oh shit here we go", I went "really?". This is exactly what a rushed pace looks like.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Final:

Disappointing ending. It just felt haphazard and rushed, like a closure that is a given but exactly the deserved kind.

4/10 for me. The whole show had a promising start, but gradually it began to disappoint as it progressed. It's more style than substance, and I find the characters particularly lacking in development. The one thing that bothers me is how the show never really addresses its own themes and motifs. What are even Musicarts? Why (classical) music, of all things? So what the hell happened to Takt and Cosette? What exactly is Destiny? The most important questions are still left unaddressed in the end.

I had high hopes, especially when it's produced by MAPPA and Madhouse, which spells ambitious from the get-go. Let me down pretty big eventually. Such a shame.

Last edited by ACxS on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Wait, did Cosette Destiny die? It looked like Takt might have died and be together with Cosette in the afterlife or something, but then they say that he is getting treatment to be able wake again, and that they (Takt and Destiny) left the hope for music. But then I think Anna turns into Detiny, so questioning if she is a Musicart now, but people were supposed to lose who they were when they became Musicarts.

The thing about needing to address their themes is a relevant point. In particular it leaves me wondering about how the role of Conductor and Musicart in the story were gender locked, where it wasn't really clear if Musicarts had to be women, and conductors had to be men. At least the choice to only show examples of it leave some strange thoughts, especially in terms of things how it might unintentionally set up something about men controlling the bodies of women, who have essentially become another entity from who they used to be. It kind of had me a little interested if at the very end Anna had become a conductor, before she just turned into Destiny, that is a Musicart.

Am I looking too hard at the series through a feminist lens? Well, I think that something along the lines are worth looking, such as the coolest character in the show, Lenny, being at least sub textually gay/queer. Not that he was done perfectly as it seems that him being written as gay did have him creep on Takt a few times, but at the very least he was unmistakably a likable and attractive character. I am actually pretty salty with the series after they killed him off. But really, does it follow through on these themes, such as I think there being something about ideas of freedom, which it could have done something about with the ideas the old ways of things, and people in power who were actually hurting people. I kind of wonder what it could have done if people maybe were distrusting of people like conductors, or those who couldn't help but express their musical nature, such that people thought that they attracted the D2s.

I can't help but think how the first episode was fantastic, and I really would have liked more of that, where I can't even remember another time they used the Panty & Stocking like animation style for comedic effect. With the opening episode also giving me thoughts of Final Fantasy XV, with its American styled road trip with a few dorks. But it really didn't stay with me that much when then straight into flashback that totally killed the pacing that it started with. Which again makes me wonder if it could have decided to forgo that entire thing, and kind of drip feed it to us sort of like Destiny herself picking up on the feelings of Takt and Anna held for Cosette and how it might confuse her how she react to them seeing the her walk around in a dead girl's body. Again I am not quite sure what the show even had to say about some of these.

My rating for the show is largely boosted by the first episode, and also how I enjoyed characters like Lenny, and kind of otherwise failed to really live up to a lot of that. If there was one character of the main trio I was more interested in, it probably would have been Anna, since she did give off this impression of someone more grounded, who was trying to portray this image of responsibility and having it together, while also really having a hard time in how she is having to grieve while seeing someone walk around with her sister's face. And she had a bit of a journey in not keeping herself in denial over calling Destiny Cosette, and accept Destiny as her own person. If it was maybe done a bit better. My rating then will be Decent (6/10), but disappointing from how I actually wanted it to be really good based on how it started.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
What a waste of three hours of my life. I've now learned this series is simply an advertisement for a game. If the game is as boring as this series, it's in real trouble. I'll give it a 5/10 for the quality of the graphics and animation, but MAPPA and Madhouse need to think about what content they lend their names to. This wasn't it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2