• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is The Faraway Paladin Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
>Gyeh. Also, the show only just made Will a paladin in the (at the time of this writing) most-recent episode, episode 10. So even if this show goes two cours, that's almost half of the show where your titular Faraway Paladin is just Faraway.

Pacing-wise, the anime looks set to cover spoiler[the 1st 2 LN volumes, which is pretty much the best stopping point at this area.
This leaves Vols 3 and 4 that can be adapted. Vol 3 (Parts 1 & II)is one story arc of its own, while Vol 4 is a sidestory collection takin place after Vol 3.

And that really is as far as the story can go for now until the author releases Vol 5 after that extended hiatus due to acute anxiety problems.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I strongly recommend the manga adaptation, it's very well done with better direction/framing than the anime.
Gonzo_Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Seeing mentions of Jobless Reincarnation featuring a "sex criminal" as the protagonist, maybe it's time to take another look at whether that show justifies its existence and if so, how.

The contrivance of a supposedly mature personality inside a child/teenager's body creates a range of moral and ethical perceptions of the character's actions. Since the character wavers between adult lechery and teen shyness and embarrassment, pinning down the appropriate behavior is at least as hard for the audience as it is for Rudeus himself. The set-up is just as contrived as the traditional ethical "trolley problem", but carries more resonance than an abstract exercise in philosophy class. Rudeus is not a trolley and has the ability to evolve his character. So maybe we can revisit this show when the next cour comes around?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn. This post was bad enough where even the author of Paladin didn't like it. I dont think I have ever seen that happen before.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Damn. This post was bad enough where even the author of Paladin didn't like it. I dont think I have ever seen that happen before.

Yeah. Saw those twitter threads by the author, few hours ago; Confused

https://twitter.com/yanaginokanata/status/1474053348110512128
https://twitter.com/yanaginokanata/status/1474062728080007168

Opening posts;
Quote:
柳野かなた@最果てのパラディン
@yanaginokanata
That's a pretty frank review. By the way, I am a follower of "Mushoku", which I started writing under the influence of this work. Since the anime aired at the same time, I think the comparison is inevitable. But let's make that point clear.

Quote:
柳野かなた@最果てのパラディン
@yanaginokanata
I appreciate the kindness of my English-speaking brothers and sisters. However, please forgive me for not being able to reply very politely. After all, it is now 2 a.m. in Japan.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Yeah. Saw those twitter threads by the author, few hours ago; Confused

https://twitter.com/yanaginokanata/status/1474053348110512128
https://twitter.com/yanaginokanata/status/1474062728080007168

Opening posts;
Quote:
柳野かなた@最果てのパラディン
@yanaginokanata
That's a pretty frank review. By the way, I am a follower of "Mushoku", which I started writing under the influence of this work. Since the anime aired at the same time, I think the comparison is inevitable. But let's make that point clear.

Quote:
柳野かなた@最果てのパラディン
@yanaginokanata
I appreciate the kindness of my English-speaking brothers and sisters. However, please forgive me for not being able to reply very politely. After all, it is now 2 a.m. in Japan.

He says more about his respect for Jobless Reincarnation's creator, and all he says specificslly about us is that we're being "frank".

My dude, if you wanna frame this like him rattling sabers and trying to start a war against the big bad website, go on ahead, but like he said: it's 2 am his time, he has better things to do than get involved with drama involving folks halfway across the world, and I'm sure you have better things to do than throw gas on a nonexistent fire. I know I do,, Imma go play Xenoblade.book.

EDIT: For the record, it's not the first time folks in Japan react to TWIA. Our Fairy Ranmaru column was very well-received by some of the staff in Japan. Also, we liked FR, before the peanut gallery assumes we just hate all anime.
torchic91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
What is the point of criticism that disavows the very genre that shapes the work in question? How can any meaning discussion occur when the discussion is already foreclosed by genre bias?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
torchic91 wrote:
What is the point of criticism that disavows the very genre that shapes the work in question? How can any meaning discussion occur when the discussion is already foreclosed by genre bias?

You missed the bit where I said I liked Twelve Kingdoms, yeah? That... that's also Isekai, dude.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, because shitting on 2 different series in this back and forth style review, which reads more like 1 dude talking to their imaginary friend, is very productive. I didn't even mention how you get plot points incorrect. Or how you call Rudy a sex fiend yet also refer to a character as basically a pair of breasts. And you like Twelve Kingdoms, an Isekai thats multiple decades old. Great. Liking 1 series in the genre doesnt really mean much when your post reads like you feel the complete opposite.
Tigerlilly~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I honestly liked the slower paced feel of the show in the beginning; spoiler[ where the story gave you time to develop feelings for Will’s family just in time to sucker punch you in the gut in episode 5. I was crying throughout that episode so I can say that they did in fact spend the perfect amount of time getting you attached to the characters. And although Will seems to be a bit bland I think he is still developing as a person seeing as all he could say he wanted was friends and to do as his patron goddess wants.

It’s not as if protagonists are meant to be all that complex, they’re there for people to project onto. That’s why I find it really disturbing that most isekai protagonists lately have been super perverts. I can’t relate to that, it just makes me really uncomfortable. So Will being the good boy (TM) is really refreshing and someone I can actually project onto as a protagonist. (Although that one scene where he has wet dreams about Mary who is basically his mom WAS a bit disturbing.) I also think the good gods actually being compassionate and loving was also pretty refreshing, and that people need that kind of message right now. That there is, maybe not a higher power but, some kind of good out there that actually cares about us.

As for the other characters, I think Menel has been pretty well fleshed out for all his tsun tsun characteristics. I mean they’re basically giving him the outcast that’s been jaded by his past, turns into an actual softie for his friends storyline and I think they’ve been handling it pretty well. And the other two characters either haven’t been given enough time just yet to develop fully or they’re just secondary characters that aren’t meant to stick with the group for long. We’ll just have to wait and see.

The animation honestly isn’t that bad, they probably just didn’t have enough funding to make too many action frames. I didn’t even notice most of the time that the frames weren’t moving because the art was pretty good anyway. I mean, take something like that assassin isekai that’s at the top of the popular page on Crunchyroll. Every time I saw that damn cgi carriage with horses that they used for every. single. scene. I just about stopped watching.

I also just about stopped watching every time one of his “harem” was on screen. Like talk about characters that are only there to be leered at. Gross. Character design, let’s talk about that, I really appreciated that the women in this show aren’t dressed like they’re going to a Halloween party. Like, full offense to that assassin isekai but, the fashion for the women looked all over the place which, just made it harder and harder to take the show seriously at all.

I think the only questionable scene of animation was when Will fought the wyvern, it did look a little funky and dragged on for a bit too long. Other than that, most of it seemed ok to me. Though, it’s not like I’m some kind of animator connoisseur. There was just nothing glaringly wrong like cgi horses that look like poop.

Overall, I think this anime is pretty good when compared to the other isekais coming out lately. The action isn’t as important as the character development and story progression. And at least the show doesn’t infuriate me like most other shows seem to be doing.]
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah honestly, stretch the concept of the first couple of episode, Will and his undead family, into a full show and that'd be pretty interesting. But as its stand, once Will leaves the family setting, its just another Isekai, overpowered main character meat bland rando and go on generic adventure. I also didn't care much for the lame death god and, by proxy, Will rebuffing him saying that life isn't worth living without death... as someone whose already cheated death twice and raised by undead parent...
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:19 am Reply with quote
Interesting how much of the review was complements despite the overall tones being critical. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it. While I admit the animation is wanting I appreciate that it doesnt feel rushed (most of the time) and takes time to establish and explore its themes. I would rather that then any number of rushed isekai/fantasy like reincarnated as a spider and banished from the hero party sadly was.

I do get that the first arc (book 1) was the most evocative. But to be honest family is far easier to evoke then learning about strangers. I agree that we need more development with them. I genuinely hope it does so and the writing so far has indicated it will.
DarkCoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This… article, discussion, or whatever, is a lame excuse of a critic. Firstly comparing it to Mushoku without even talking correctly about Mushoku in the first place. Sex criminal? He wasn’t a sex criminal in the past world or the new one, he was a pervert, which is a huge difference in how you paint them. One has actually committed crimes, the other one hasn’t, so stop misleading. Second, if you can only see Rudeus like that, then either you lack reading comprehension or just went the easy way out and decided not to put attention at anything. If you want to criticize something you need to understand it and be capable of giving a critique, not just complaining and crying about what you don’t like and making it sound like a critique, cause that isn’t it. Also, as someone previously mentioned, it’s hard to judge Rudeus with the ethics and morality of this world when he is in a new one, bound by its own rules of ethics and morality. Plus, his situation of having his full memories(including traumas) but in a new body sets him at a constant inner fight, young body against old mind, both influencing each other. Better explained by someone else on the comments.[/list]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
TWIA is not a "review", it is a discussion between two people about what they watched. I'm not asking anyone to agree with their opinions but if you read TWIA with the mind set that it's a "review", you aren't going to get what you want out of it.

We have actual episode reviews for both of these series.

Mushoku Tensei:

animenewsnetwork.com/review/mushoku-tensei-jobless-reincarnation-2nd-part/episodes-12-14/.178557

The Faraway Paladin

animenewsnetwork.com/review/the-faraway-paladin/.178531
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
DarkCoat wrote:
This… article, discussion, or whatever, is a lame excuse of a critic.

Sort of like your post where you join here just to comment and complain without even knowing the specifics of how the article you're complaining about actually works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3