• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wonder why anime girls always get violent and attack Boys who sees them naked?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naftali Poritz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I notice this seems to be a running gag in most anime, but a boy ends up either seeing a girl naked, seeing her panties and bras, or touches the chest, panties, or but areas, often accidently. And almost everytime, the girl gets angry, calls him a pervert and violently attacks the boy (even when its not his fault he accidently saw or touched the private areas).

Why do most anime girls get enraged and violent towards men who sees or touches the private areas of the girl? When the girl does the same thing, the other girl doesn't get angry and violent most of the time. Why does this seem to happen every time? Women don't get angry violent towards men if they saw them naked or touched the private areas in real life.

I wonder which is also the first anime where this running gag with the boy seeing the girl naked or touching her private areas, and the girl gets angry and violent?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Naftali Poritz wrote:
Why does this seem to happen every time? Women don't get angry violent towards men if they saw them naked or touched the private areas in real life.

If they do it without their permission then yea women sure do get mad in real life. Go try it yourself and see what response you get. Yes the over the top kicking the male MC out the window in the anime is for dramatic effect. However, most women in real life would sure as shit get angry if a guy "accidentally" walked in on them changing, and especially if they touched them.

As for why does this happen in anime, because it's a long running gag. You sort of answered your own question there. It's used for comedic effect. The idea being generally women are more concerned with another person of the opposite gender seeing them naked, or in their underwear, then men are. It plays to real life stereotypes, and amps it up for comedic effect. It happens all the time because it's a long standing gag. Whether or not it's run it's course as a gag is an entirely different topic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It is a tired old cliché of slapstick comedy, and probably not great where it can feel like it is making light of abuse. You also bad examples where it isn't an accident and the guy tried something.

But I think it is largely a way to often lean into that wanting to try that something, to show a bit of fanservice, but make out that the male character is still a good guy because he totally didn't mean to do it, and in fact he is the real victim in all of this because he got hurt. And it is all meant to be one big joke.

It is a way to sexualise a character but pretend that they are not just using them as an object.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

If they do it without their permission then yea women sure do get mad in real life. Go try it yourself and see what response you get.

LOL
I was about to say...."yes, just try it with us..."

Girls nowadays actually get mad when a guy flirts or compliments them (at least people on tumblr do). So you can ONLY imagine what would happen if 'accidental' sexual assault happened. He'd not only get kicked where it hurts but be taken to court and sued for everything he has.

It's also a trope I really don't like (the accident part, I mean). If the guy is being a jackass on purpose and gets beaten up, it can be quite funny (like Golden Boy). But if the character is innocent...we are just watching an innocent character being punished...and that's not very funny to most people.

While I don't know if Love Hina started this 'accidental pervert gets assaulted" routine, it definitely popularized this trope. So you can thank Ken Akamatsu for that.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Rumiko Takahashi started it...or if it was even before that. But I do remember laughing when Kuno grabs GirlRanma's breast underwater and Ranma yells "YOU PERVERT!"...just....idk it was funny Laughing Kuno wasn't punished...but it was funny that Ranma got so mad about it....since Ranma still has a guy's brain xD
Naftali Poritz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I still wonder about the origin of this running gag where girls violently beat up perverts (even accidental) in anime (and anime based video games). What anime did this originate in, and who was the first girl to do it to a man?

I know in To Love Ru, this seems to happen to poor Rito. An innocent boy always getting beat up because he is accident involved in a perverted situation. He is basically a punching bad. I'm surprised he doesn't ending up injured, and going to the emergency room. Those girls don't seem to be aware that it was all an accident, and that Rito didn't mean to do it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi would be a candidate. Even before Ranma ½, Lum was electrocuting anybody, but mostly Ateru, if they got too pervy in Urusei Yatsura.

I think the trope is older than even that. A prime suspect would be Go Nagai with his Harenchi Gakuen manga series from 1968, credited as the first ecchi franchise in manga or anime. Violent interactions between his female and male characters are common features of his giant robot anime in the 1970s as well as Cutie Honey.

Given Osamu Tezuka's predilection for bawdiness I wouldn't be surprised if introduced the trope even earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
I agree it's an overused trope. What's needed are more characters that break the mold and stereotype. One where a girl, since we're talking about how they are usually violently modest, is very immodest instead. For example instead of giving a brutal reaction to the boy seeing her naked, she laughs, acts nonchalant or parades around getting enjoyment from the guy becoming flustered.

I would say there aren't many shows where female characters are exhibitionists or nudists and don't mind being seen naked. But there are some instances where a boy stumbles into girl's bathing scene and they all plunge into the water and cover their chests except for one or two (usually the flat-chested ones).

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon: I think there were 2 occasions where the MC stumbled in on Ais bathing and she didn't attempt to cover up or hide herself. It could be possible she just has a low modesty level or it was him in particular she didn't mind being seen by.

And then there are the twin sisters in Ais' familia, they are more toward the exhibitionist spectrum when it comes to being naked. Modesty of course is a personal preference that must be respected and seeing someone naked without their consent is not acceptable. But I believe in the freedom to feel comfortable being unclothed, even around people of the opposite sex.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Naftali Poritz wrote:
Women don't get angry violent towards men if they saw them naked or touched the private areas in real life.

Well, most real-life women don't have the power to punch a guy so hard that he flies into the air and becomes a twinkle in the sky. In reality, the average man is statistically larger and stronger than the average woman, so I'm guessing that women would not usually escalate to physical violence (especially from a vulnerable position of being caught changing/bathing/etc., often while alone) if they judge that doing so would provoke a much more dangerous retaliation from the man in question.

When it comes to these kinds of "violent retribution for accidental infringement" scenes in anime, I view them as a "price of admission." While the peeping/groping is usually accidental on the part of the male characters, the actions and the visuals are still very much deliberate on the part of the artists/writers/animators -- they're placed there to appeal to the straight male audience, and the male leads in these kinds of shows are supposed to be "self-inserts" for the viewer, most of the time. So if we, as the audience, want the "good stuff" -- to vicariously experience visual and tactile pleasure from the female characters, usually irrespective of their will and consent -- we should be willing to accept the punishment for those transgressions, i.e. seeing our animated "selves" having stuff thrown at them or getting megaton-punched through a wall.

Although sometimes things can go a little too far (like in Maken-ki! when Takeru is pushed down and borderline-sexually-assaulted by a hypnotized Haruko, but still gets whacked when she comes to her senses), it's still a small price to pay, overall.

Chiibi wrote:
While I don't know if Love Hina started this 'accidental pervert gets assaulted" routine, it definitely popularized this trope. So you can thank Ken Akamatsu for that.

The manga later starts lampshading this by having characters ask Keitarou if he's invulnerable/immortal after some of his many Naru-powered skyward flights... to the point of being surprised when he can't instantly heal himself "in one panel, like usual" when he incurs a serious injury not caused by the trope.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
The joke works better for a Japanese audience, and even then, it's fairly outdated now. It combines the shock factor of "dainty woman sending a guy flying" with the comedy of misunderstandings, which I think the Japanese just find funnier than we do. It usually doesn't work for me personally if it's an accidental perverted action, but in general I think the whole slapstick comedy thing only works if both sexes are vulnerable.

It feels like the joke was at its freshest with Ataru from Urusei Yatsura since he usually deserved it, and even when he didn't, he's an unpleasant enough scoundrel that it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth to see him get beaten up.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
The real question to me is why do anime and manga creators make the male characters fall on female characters' breasts to begin with rather than why do the female characters get angry about it which seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction from them in most of these situations to me? Even in scenes where the male character is doing it accidentally, it's still always framed in a way where the girl doesn't know it's an accident so it still comes across as the show making fun of girls not wanting to be harassed and making it out that girls are just "over reacting" which is not a great joke to me.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if its super relevant to this thread, but there's a trope in shows and manga where boys transform into girls: Even if the girls know that person is actually a boy, they seem very welcoming to him (now her) taking a bath with them, or not at all flustered when being seen naked. Riko from To LoveRu comes to mind as an example. It's the same person, but why all of a sudden its as if that male person no longer exists in their mind?

I have seen examples (Kirito in SAO - not actually transformed into a girl though) where at first a girl didn't realize it while bathing or undressing together, but then after finding out later someone was MtF transformed, she does get angry or embarrassed.
Myrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It's the natural reaction for any girl even outside of anime. It'd be even more weird if the girl does nothing when a boy sees her naked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1