• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Platinum End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The deeply ironic thing is that we tend to see this mentality of "*I* didn't do anything, that guy walked into that bullet all on his own!" all the time for over-the-top villains and their ilk in other shows, and yet here we're meant to take it seriously in our protag. I get (sorta) that it's (I think) supposed to be some kind of thesis statement on the inherent value of every life a la Fullmetal Alchemist or whatever (just, y'know, rendered incoherent and utterly stupid here), but that totally falls apart when you start thinking even a little bit about how the MC is totally okay with state-sanctioned murder or someone else doing the deed. Rolling Eyes
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
I mean... How do we know this is not a parody?

No really, is there an interview with the authors?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I mean... How do we know this is not a parody?

No really, is there an interview with the authors?

This is a valid question. I think I can tell from the feel of the writing that the authors didn’t intend it as a parody, but as an insightful philosophical struggle between the most misconceived strawmen imaginable — however it would explain so much if I was mistaken.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I just looooooove how, of all the anime reviews this website does, this one has the least engagement and is the least commented lol a really true testament of how utterly horrible this manga/anime really is.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
14 is the only episode of this shlock I've watched so far, but I -have- been reading these reviews each week, just for fun.

Quote:
dude sucked hard enough to take the finish off a space shuttle

I think this is my favorite line so far! Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say I'm all that curious to see where it goes from here
Well apparently, since this show was voted for continued reviews, it seems a group of "fans" are! Lucky you...
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:50 am Reply with quote
I found it extremely hilarious that in the previous episode Mirai declared that he wouldn't kill Metropoliman and hand him to the authorities, and right in the next episode he proceeded to hold him down so another person would turn him into swiss cheese. Somebody should tell that pretentious buffoon that holding a person down so that someone can deal the final blow is also murder. Not even an accomplice. Straight out murder. They all be lamenting on how Mukaido killed Metropoliman, but in reality Mirai, Saki and Mukaido killed Metropoliman together and would all be charged with murder if there was such thing as an arrest for them.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'll keep watching this through the end out of morbid curiosity, but man, Tsugumi Ohba really spent the last good ideas he had on the many fictional manga that the characters in Bakuman created.

Kirki wrote:
I found it extremely hilarious that in the previous episode Mirai declared that he wouldn't kill Metropoliman and hand him to the authorities, and right in the next episode he proceeded to hold him down so another person would turn him into swiss cheese. Somebody should tell that pretentious buffoon that holding a person down so that someone can deal the final blow is also murder. Not even an accomplice. Straight out murder. They all be lamenting on how Mukaido killed Metropoliman, but in reality Mirai, Saki and Mukaido killed Metropoliman together and would all be charged with murder if there was such thing as an arrest for them.

Mirai was hit by Mukaido's red arrow, so even though he didn't want to kill Metropoliman, he couldn't bring himself to deny Mukaido his last wish. I suppose he was very conflicted, but at that moment, the red arrow won.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga but I absolutely loved this anime so far, the story and flow is a bit crazy but im enjoying the crazy ride. Maybe if I had read the manga I would feel different
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Feels like a one-star is a bit too low for what is otherwise the best episode Platinum End has ever offered.

The "slow-motion" thing from what I've gathered is from Metropoliman's perspective. He had the wings active and your perception is heightened in that state. So we were basically witnessing what his panicked, desperate state was providing him.

For those wondering why the main character is a hypocrite, it's because he is a hypocrite. He blatantly declared that he's a hypocrite an episode or two ago. He doesn't want to feel responsible for the death of someone, but he will look the other way as long as he's given an excuse, as that is the extent of his belief. Which was why he was shot with Mukaido's red arrow so that he wouldn't mess it up over his cowardice.

I really don't know what to expect now, but if manga-readers are to be believed it's all downhill from here, moreso than usual.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But there are some interesting aspects to Platinum End as an anime, not least of which being that, at some point after its staff was originally announced, it was revealed that two separate directors would be handling the series, with Hideya Takahashi handling the vaguely defined “first series” and Kazuchika Kise overseeing the “second.” It's an odd structure that hints at the sheer overbooking that's happening across the entire industry.

I suppose Takahashi had to leave the show earlier than intended in order to work on the upcoming Urusei Yatsura remake. He left his successor Kise in a really bad spot, with just 10 episodes left to adapt 6 and a quarter manga volumes, but I think the manga's storytelling is decompressed enough that the show will be able to pull it off without cutting out too much material.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:25 pm Reply with quote
What queer character are you talking about? I'm blanking here.

With this episode you really have to take into account the cultural differences, with 'don't be an inconvenience' being ingrained in their psychology, but yeah, still a terribly blundered conversation. I really don't know what statement theyre trying to make with this show, if there is any.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
With this episode you really have to take into account the cultural differences, with 'don't be an inconvenience' being ingrained in their psychology, but yeah, still a terribly blundered conversation. I really don't know what statement theyre trying to make with this show, if there is any.

"Don't be an inconvenience" being part of Japanese culture is precisely what makes the conclusion of the conversation pure nonsense. This kid should have heard this sentence countless times growing up, yet he needed to have this pointed out to him? Like, if it's so easy to make him give up on killing himself, why didn't he thought about it before? The sentence that made him decide to live is by all acounts common sense to the Japanese, how do you talk down the suicidal with common sense? They might as well have said "if you kill yourself now, you won't be alive tomorrow".
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
What queer character are you talking about? I'm blanking here.

GIrl A, the teenage lesbian bondage serial killer from a while back.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Boy, is Nicholas going to be mad at the very end when spoiler[this kid becomes god then kills himself, ending all life on Earth(though he didn't know that would happen and had ok intentions). ]. But who knows, maybe this adaption will be different? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8