• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My guy looks like the lead singer of Hoobastank got reincarnated as an elf in an isekai anime.

Had to look him up, but yeah, that pretty much nailed it. Laughing

I think my main issue with this, especially in this episode, is how do you sneak off after an attack like that without leading the enemy right back to your base or wherever? A 30' mech isn't exactly designed for stealth. You'd need a backhoe following just to fill in the tracks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
Same issues as I had last week. They keep showing us how the militaries can track the giant robots - even flying ones - so how do they keep making surprise entrances and pull their vanishing acts without being followed? Since that seems to be so easy to do, why didn't she just scoop our boys up and take them with her instead of making them walk to wherever she's parked...which is within walking distance of two enemy outposts with tracking capabilities. Never mind the Oceania guys just sailing into the Asian-controlled port and hanging out until they're set to attack. Rolling Eyes

The new mech went through around 35 mechs like butter in about 5 minutes. So why stop? Why not wipe out the rest of the Oceania and Asia mechs and liberate the whole place? This mech could clearly do it single-handedly. It's like the Resistance is afraid to be more than just a hit-and-run thorn in the superpowers' side.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“This mech show is different, it's about the characters, not just the robots!”

Are there any mech show that aren't about the characters? I'd love to watch them cause I find almost every mech show character to be insufferable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I also did a double-take at that e-sports champion plasterer bit. Aspirational indeed!

I kinda kept waiting for some mechs to come stomping in and wrecking everything again, attracted by the lights and all the sudden activity, but then I remembered half of this world is apparently invisible to the enemy, since no one ever seems to worry about their base being found.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I kinda kept waiting for some mechs to come stomping in and wrecking everything again, attracted by the lights and all the sudden activity, but then I remembered half of this world is apparently invisible to the enemy, since no one ever seems to worry about their base being found.

It's ok, they handwaved enemy spying long ago by stating the resistance is also waging information warfare to prevent them from being found.

Which is still a bit hard to believe, considering that the resistance base needs a lot of land, even if they travel around, in order to service and train their AMAIMs. I suppose the apparent concentration of populations in major cities theoretically could have provided a lot more land area where nobody lives, where no occupying military bases exist within visual or audible detection distance.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
Maybe they're all just terrible at finding things? They hid the Amaims a few weeks ago by barely covering them up with some bushes and leaves.

It is nice to see a resistance ground working to rebuild instead of just fight, though in this case I question the use of resources to bring a small town back to life for less than 10 people. Unless they're planning to move more people in, but they never mention that.

Could someone remind me, did they say why all these countries are fighting over Japan? IIRC it was collapsing from population loss, so the other groups moved in to "help", but is there a strategic reason they're fighting for the territory? If there is I feel like I missed it other than this just lets the countries fight each other but somehow not go to war...
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Maybe they're all just terrible at finding things? They hid the Amaims a few weeks ago by barely covering them up with some bushes and leaves.

Yeah this is something the show isn't really good at explaining. Shion literally destroyed over 20+ mechs and somehow managed to get away without anyone chasing her but then how did they find that evil mech in a cave system?

Quote:
It is nice to see a resistance ground working to rebuild instead of just fight, though in this case I question the use of resources to bring a small town back to life for less than 10 people. Unless they're planning to move more people in, but they never mention that.

I would say that they will revisit the village in a future episode showing more people there though I find that unlikely to happen

Quote:
Could someone remind me, did they say why all these countries are fighting over Japan? IIRC it was collapsing from population loss, so the other groups moved in to "help", but is there a strategic reason they're fighting for the territory? If there is I feel like I missed it other than this just lets the countries fight each other but somehow not go to war...

Japan got invaded because Japan needed to get invaded for the plot to happen and the writers couldn't think of a good or logical in-universe reason for this to happen. Kind of how Shadow went from nigh invulnerable (his wires seem to be bulletproof??) in ep 7 but then got taken down by 1 shot to his chest (even though It looked like the most heavily plated part of his body) and then stood back up because they needed him in a future episode. A better explanation might happen down the line but I'm not holding my breath.

Gasshin being a dad was quite funny as was Gai forcing Amou to speak like a Super Robot protagonist but someone has to explain what the hell is the "plasterworj esport division"[/quote]
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Someone really looked at Sion spending ten seconds with random girl with European heritage (that will probably make her a traitor) and said "yep, this is quality character work, our work here is done".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can buy that the other characters are upset by his death, but I cannot feel that sadness alongside them, and that's a sign a show has come up short.

For me it's just a sign that I don't believe he's dead. Show me the body, and all that. Especially since Gai made a point of going to "pilot's life-preservation mode." And if Ghost's AI survived being at the zero-est of ground zeroes, I imagine Gai made it through, too.

Story-wise, they really can't afford to kill them off, since they're the only characters with enough emotional spark in them to carry the show, and then only barely. If Amou were this series' Kamina, Gashin and Shion are just not up to filling Simon's shoes.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It's weird that the show's official website and Twitter account don't say anything about when episode 14 will air. I think we might have to wait until April.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The whole situation of hastily announcing 13 as the last episode of the season, and the episode's preview being like any other, screams production issues.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I must concur. I guess the strong suit of the show, the visuals, must have run into issues with everything going on the world.

Shame though, because for everything else that can be said about this show, and the complaints are legion, the visuals are great.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Amou's death didn't land for me either, though I thought it was a strong finish to the series having the MC die in battle. And then I saw the preview for episode 14 and realized that this wasn't a 13 episode series. I guess it's a split season, but I'm not sure I'd come back if there's enough to watch when it returns. Now it wouldn't surprise me if he returned. I'm guessing both mechs were blasted into the sea instead of vaporizing in an explosion.

At the beginning of the episode I was thinking about what felt off about the series and I thought that it feels like a tie in series. Like it's one of those average mobile game tie in series that primarily exists to promote the game, so there's not much depth there, but at least the action scenes are entertaining.
#softcritter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Should have watch this alongside Denki Shoujo since it has the polar opposite setting from this show.
krigin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
Part 2 - April

Official twitter confirmation
https://twitter.com/kyoukai_senki/status/1476145974556995585
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3