• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Oriente... Ok the motorcycle people! I couldnt help but laugh so hard!

Damn! Im giving it a chance anyways

Leadale was so boring, I guess it is not my type of isekai anime (I like the idea of the body in the other world like in comma, but the rest was meh)
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of Tokyo 24-Ku and, it was nothing special but still an interesting watch. It has potential, but with the behind-the-scenes stories that came out recently, I'm kinda scared for it.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Leadale wasn't bad as such, just really generic in a boring way.

Tokyo 24th Ward - clang clang clang goes the trolley problem - will give it another ep or two to decide on.

Orient is probably not my thing.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
pod” seems to have been a very odd choice in terms of translation

Nope, it seems very normal. The original title is literally something like "Stuffed in a box:(kooban (policebox) women strike back", but they pretty obviously went for sounding like "peas in a ppd" and using pod for the cramped enclosed policebox.

It emphasizes their similarity instead of just them being packed in like sardines, but it's a reasonable translation.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Its been forever since I watched it, but wasn't .hack about a kid on life support stuck in a video game? Seems like Leadale might have predated the isekai genre but it didn't predate its tendency to jut rehash past element.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:44 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Nope, it seems very normal. The original title is literally something like "Stuffed in a box:(kooban (policebox) women strike back", but they pretty obviously went for sounding like "peas in a ppd" and using pod for the cramped enclosed policebox.

It emphasizes their similarity instead of just them being packed in like sardines, but it's a reasonable translation.

That makes sense, thank you. I guess it's more of a leap than I would have taken, since I didn't immediately think of "peas in a pod" when I was guessing that the title had something to do with the police box. Which, now that I type it, means that I may have known too much without knowing enough and got confused. Smile

meiam, if I'm remembering correctly, in .hack they were on life support because of the game, rather than the situation in Leadale. But yeah, it's still pretty similar.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Surprised by the Police in the Pod hate. Its probably the single most realistic depiction of law enforcement I've ever seen. 90 percent of the job is writting tickets you really dont care about while people telling you to F-off
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, when their commanding officer at the police box wants them to go give a safety lecture at an elementary school, both of them are very clear with him that he's being sexist; just because they're women doesn't mean that they like kids or are good with kids, and how dare he assume so.

Hakozume Kōban Joshi no Gyakushū was the one shiny hope I had for season and let me down. Buy from my near eight decades as japanese, koban boxes usually never had more than three or four officers ever. I do not think the boss sent them because they are women. Being boss he likely did not want to do it himself. Being boss has privilege of sending kohai regardless of gender. This was just bad joke delivered poorly translated even more poorly in subs.

[Edit: bigotry removed. Errinundra]
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Surprised by the Police in the Pod hate. Its probably the single most realistic depiction of law enforcement I've ever seen. 90 percent of the job is writting tickets you really dont care about while people telling you to F-off

If realism was entertaining, we wouldn't be watching anime.
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ghost in the Serial Stride Psycho-Pass, oh, sorry, Tokyo 24-ku was a real puzzler. My guess is that it's not just Asumi whose mind is alive and well inside the quantum computer we saw at the start, but that everyone is - how else do they all get more agile (and some) just by being brain-hacked?

Last edited by Netero on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Police in a pod wasn't bad it has catchy OP and EDs. Cute and Scary dealing with everyday problems. What is there to hate? People that liked You're under arrest might like this. I like when the Japanese curse like crazy.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
09jcg wrote:

If realism was entertaining, we wouldn't be watching anime.
I feel like theres room for both. Sort of like the office. I also feel like your "we" is pretty broad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd rather rewatch You're Under Arrest.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Another quiet spring season. LOVE of KILL is alright and not your typical shoujo adaptation so it stands out a bit as an anime but not as a manga. Likely a 6/10.

Chikyuugai Shounen Shoujo consists of 2 films in Japan that will be cut into 6 eps by Netflix. Could be interesting, could be not. I´ll find out on January 28.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 We will have quite the season on our hands if the anime truly ends in a movie and it most likely will. The second half of that one will be a train wreck and a half that is for another time.

Catwoman: Hunted releases on February 8 and is directed by Shinsuke Terasawa so it’s half an anime. Doesn´t look all that exciting despite a Greg Weisman script but we´ll see. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Gaikotsu will run from March to May and should form the bases for ep 1-12 of S3. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2205: Aratanaru Tabidachi - Koushou - Stasha, what a mouthful, is lastly set for early February so I won´t see it till summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Police in a Pod was already done years ago-and vastly superior, the show was called "You're Under Arrest". Remember that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19