• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's CODA, Companies From 12 Other Countries to Form International Anti-Piracy Organization

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
They'll never get the results they want with this new organization. It's a waste of time and money. Not to mention there will be protests and backlash against it. These companies will never learn. Evil or Very Mad
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
They'll never get the results they want with this new organization. It's a waste of time and money. Not to mention there will be protests and backlash against it. These companies will never learn. Evil or Very Mad

I think even getting news like this out to the public will scare a portion of the population off to an extent. Maybe not completely, but still buying books/dvds. As for getting rid of piracy all together, you're completely right.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So that means all non-legal manga and anime sites will end up shuting down because of it? That makes me worried, because most legal manga sites are still inaccessible(MangaPlus exist but it has only 3 first and last chapters, which is bad). Ditto anime sites (-cough- Funimation).
Piracy bad but region locked ''good''.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Nikkei Asia, piracy cost the manga industry approximately 800 billion yen (US$6.92 billion) in Japan alone from January-October 2021. Nikkei Asia stated that number exceeds the amount of the entire market for authorized publications, which it estimated at 600 billion yen (about US$5.19 billion) yearly.

*claps* Downloads. Do. Not. Equal. Lost. Sales. How the hell are companies still pushing this ridiculous myth in 2021? Hell, torrenting things over the years has wound up making me spend significantly more than if I hadn't downloaded them.
c933103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So that means all non-legal manga and anime sites will end up shuting down because of it? That makes me worried, because most legal manga sites are still inaccessible(MangaPlus exist but it has only 3 first and last chapters, which is bad). Ditto anime sites (-cough- Funimation).
Piracy bad but region locked ''good''.

Well this association is also region-locked to 13 countries.
Although they have tried to use diplomatic pressure.to.press other countries into prosecuting piracy site operator before
c933103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Quote:
According to Nikkei Asia, piracy cost the manga industry approximately 800 billion yen (US$6.92 billion) in Japan alone from January-October 2021. Nikkei Asia stated that number exceeds the amount of the entire market for authorized publications, which it estimated at 600 billion yen (about US$5.19 billion) yearly.

*claps* Downloads. Do. Not. Equal. Lost. Sales. How the hell are companies still pushing this ridiculous myth in 2021? Hell, torrenting things over the years has wound up making me spend significantly more than if I hadn't downloaded them.

Many in Japan agree with the idea that illegal downloading is stealing. Even if it doesn't result in any losses from the original author. Even in cases where it was initially available for free and the author is distributing it without revenue. They still think it is criminal for others to redistribute them through elsewhere. They think the act of pirating is morally wrong and even if it help boosted their fame and their revenue they still think this is something that is damaging should never happen. Probably a reason why many Japanese artists adopt NFT as those token of ownership to a link of copy of an image seems like a legitimate idea in the eyes of a number of Japanese people. Three years ago Japanese government have tried to argue piracy damaged creators human right as it threaten their life, and thus internet censorship is needed to protect creators from piracy sites, because their right to survive as a Japanese national is more important than the nation's constitution protection on freedom of communication and they think piracy is ruining that. At the time most polls in Japan shows majority of Japanese people support such move. Only a few legal experts voiced concern on technicalities of such way to bypass the national constitution.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Also Japan: refuses to make certain digital content available to buy outside the country for no good reason at all. I don't even mean anime, I mean manga, books, music, audio dramas... Here I am, trying to pay money for the products, and they simply refuse to let me do it. As such, currently I'm actually purchasing them illegally, as ridiculous as that sounds, not to mention risking my own data privacy, since I have to VPN my way in to be able to buy in the stores that allow me to use a not Japanese-issued card.

Not to mention, when it comes to digital content Japan is still pushing people toward physical! Some magazines have print-only content. Ebooks and audio content may be still released weeks or months after physical release. Ebooks are DRM'd to hell and back and can only be read in proprietary apps, say good-bye to ebook readers (aside of Kindle I guess, but I wouldn't know, as Amazon.jp doesn't allow me to buy digital content). And so on and so forth.

So frankly, I'm sick and tired of this "omg but piracy" thing. Is piracy a problem? Maybe, I suppose. But let's not pretend that at least part of that problem is Japan not being able to develop a 21st century mindset and keeping its content unavailable from outside the country.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
They can co-operate for this next Hydra hunt to prosecute and sue pirates for money, but not some kind of international library organization which translates media free to the public that would actually be beneficial to combating a lot of piracy but wouldn't make them much money. I see how this works Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Quote:

They're still on pushing it because it's true. YOU might buy more as a result of your torrenting but that is not the case majority of the time, nor has it ever been. *clap clap*

I'm no fan of region locking myself, and I do think the various manga distributors and companies need to do more to really make online models work better and be more far reaching. There's also the issue of working conditions. I however still cannot fault them for trying to protect their products and business revenue.
DaResidentDouche

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's a natural expected feedback for the overflow of backfeeding that's been going on for some time now. Nonetheless, an equipoise will be realized again.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So, this is like, how many times "they" have tried this?

Pardon my cynicism, but I've seen 'em come and I've seen 'em go.
I am not too concerned.

In theory, I do think artists should get paid for their work.
I do think companies that get me good stuff should make a profit.

And in reality, I also find using 'other means' to be a bigger pain than
I like to deal with. Sad

But, I believe we outside of Japan are a small percentage of the fandom, and some of the
other means stuff just comes with being in such a situation. I don't like it, but IMHO
that is how it is.

Just my two cents worth.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Quote:

Many in Japan agree with the idea that illegal downloading is stealing. Even if it doesn't result in any losses from the original author. Even in cases where it was initially available for free and the author is distributing it without revenue. They still think it is criminal for others to redistribute them through elsewhere. They think the act of pirating is morally wrong and even if it help boosted their fame and their revenue they still think this is something that is damaging should never happen. Probably a reason why many Japanese artists adopt NFT as those token of ownership to a link of copy of an image seems like a legitimate idea in the eyes of a number of Japanese people. Three years ago Japanese government have tried to argue piracy damaged creators human right as it threaten their life, and thus internet censorship is needed to protect creators from piracy sites, because their right to survive as a Japanese national is more important than the nation's constitution protection on freedom of communication and they think piracy is ruining that. At the time most polls in Japan shows majority of Japanese people support such move. Only a few legal experts voiced concern on technicalities of such way to bypass the national constitution.

NFTs are reviled by normal people, especially westerners and they take the fun out of everything they touch save for uber expensive fine art for millionaires and billionaires. I especially don't appreciate them in the Vtuber and idol communities. I also doubt most Japanese support NFTs either.
c933103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Also Japan: refuses to make certain digital content available to buy outside the country for no good reason at all. I don't even mean anime, I mean manga, books, music, audio dramas... Here I am, trying to pay money for the products, and they simply refuse to let me do it. As such, currently I'm actually purchasing them illegally, as ridiculous as that sounds, not to mention risking my own data privacy, since I have to VPN my way in to be able to buy in the stores that allow me to use a not Japanese-issued card.

Not to mention, when it comes to digital content Japan is still pushing people toward physical! Some magazines have print-only content. Ebooks and audio content may be still released weeks or months after physical release. Ebooks are DRM'd to hell and back and can only be read in proprietary apps, say good-bye to ebook readers (aside of Kindle I guess, but I wouldn't know, as Amazon.jp doesn't allow me to buy digital content). And so on and so forth.

So frankly, I'm sick and tired of this "omg but piracy" thing. Is piracy a problem? Maybe, I suppose. But let's not pretend that at least part of that problem is Japan not being able to develop a 21st century mindset and keeping its content unavailable from outside the country.

I think they see it as their right to limit their content availability
Like a certain novel release 8 different short stories per volumes on average. But they're available in 8 different physical chain stores in Japan only. So you need to buy 8 copies of the novel from 8 different physical stores everytime a new volume is released to read all of the stories. And they think it is a sustainable growth strategy that will allow them to sell more books.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
Like a certain novel release 8 different short stories per volumes on average. But they're available in 8 different physical chain stores in Japan only. So you need to buy 8 copies of the novel from 8 different physical stores everytime a new volume is released to read all of the stories. And they think it is a sustainable growth strategy that will allow them to sell more books.

Not really comparable. In your example, living in Japan, nothing's stopping you from buying the different editions. If you're region-blocked outside Japan, that's not possible.
c933103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Not really comparable. In your example, living in Japan, nothing's stopping you from buying the different editions. If you're region-blocked outside Japan, that's not possible.

Outside large cities, to visit all the eligible bookstores, that'd take quite a lot of trip to reach all the sfores, it's not like all of them have branches in all the towns, and the fiscal and time cost of doing so wouldn't necessarily be cheaper than a foreigner flying to Tokyo to gather them all. Well during the pandemic it's an exception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4