• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Los Angeles Police Officers Fired For Playing Pokémon GO During Robbery In Progress

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty embarrassing for them.

Robber will just get released so the authorities will get another chance at least.
crh1985

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ya this was a tiny story in mid 2017 when it happened and the only reason we are hearing of it now is that they lost there appeal

I have to wonder how did they think they would have a chance to get there job back
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately this isn't the dumbest thing I've heard happen with people and Pokemon Go.

...But did they catch the Snorlax? That's the unanswered question.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
Ya this was a tiny story in mid 2017 when it happened and the only reason we are hearing of it now is that they lost there appeal

So there actually are offenses that US police officers can be fired for?

crh1985 wrote:
I have to wonder how did they think they would have a chance to get there job back

Along with other misconduct during the incident such as not running background checks on the persons involved, John A. Balcerzak and Joseph T. Gabrish prevented an ambulance crew from treating a bleeding and drugged 14-year old boy, then returned the boy to serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer who later murdered the victim. After being fired, both officers were reinstated by a judge with back pay, with Balcerzak later being elected president of the Milwaukee Police Association.
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Not to worry! They'll move to another municipality and apply for jobs there. The next place will give them a pass because they're "good cops." /s
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Your tax money at work! At least they couldn't have shot anybody. What's even worse is that they forgot to tell Snorlax and the other Pokemon they caught their Miranda Rights, so they had to let them go! Mr. Green

True story: Once while biking in the morning in the middle of the big park, I stopped to take over a gym. But as soon as I finished, a parked car suddenly turned on their police lights + siren and raced towards me going over the grass fields. Two policemen with flashlights stepped out of the patrol car and questioned me what I was doing at 4:30am in the park. Told them I was playing Pokemon Go. They told me the park is closed and to get the hell out.

Just a couple of minutes after I left, I checked the gym again, and sure enough it was taken over by a couple trainers whose names were also in all the other gyms in the park. I knew it was them! Those two were the ones taking over all the park gyms every night on their watch!

So then I'd play morning cat-and-mouse with them any chance I get, taking over gyms, before they'd realized and re-take it, while I already moved on and re-take other gyms at the opposite sides of the park (it is a big park - they can't see all the gyms in the map) Laughing
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
In Episode 2 of Police in a Pod released today, there is a line referring to Kawai, "Well, it's not like she went out and caught a Pokémon."
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Now,I've got something to say. The two officers who are catching CGI Pokemon on "Pokemon Go" instead of catching real-life robbers should never have been given a badge in the first place. Most police officers in America are good and decent people who do their jobs well. But,every profession has it's bad apples. That's true of policework. But,to say that this is true of all police in this country is in my view,wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 am Reply with quote
They would've been OK if they'd followed the mantra: "Gotta catch 'em all!" - and that includes the robbers as well as the Pokemon. All means all!

(Imagines the officers playing the Pokemon theme song on high volume while going after the robbers)
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So then I'd play morning cat-and-mouse with them any chance I get, taking over gyms, before they'd realized and re-take it, while I already moved on and re-take other gyms at the opposite sides of the park (it is a big park - they can't see all the gyms in the map) Laughing

Could also be spoofers. It's still fairly easy to spoof in Pokémon Go, especially on Apple devices.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Could also be spoofers. It's still fairly easy to spoof in Pokémon Go, especially on Apple devices.

Nah, had to be them. It's always only inside the park overnight when their patrol car was around, and whenever they're taking over a gym, their patrol car's always nearby Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1