• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some Things On Isekai Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Myrick wrote:
@Alan45 The difference with reading books is that Isekai is literally transferring a person to another world whereas reading books is just a daydream of being transferred to another world.

There are still plenty of works in the West that actually are isekai stories. Two examples are The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wizard of Oz.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
I tend to agree with those like Myrick and Beltane70. Alan45,there's a great deal of difference between reading a book or watching a film or anime and literally being transported to another world. You can read a book and while you can get engrossed in the story that the book,film,anime,or whatever but you're still in this world. It takes quite a lot to really go to another world,so I agree with Myrick.
As for you,Beltane70,I agree that Japan isn't the only country that's produced these sort of works. "Alice In Wonderland's" originally from Britain. "The Wizard of Oz" is from America. A lot of countries have done this sort of thing,so Japan's not alone in doing this sort of stuff. But recently,Japan's produced a lot more of it than a lot of other countries have.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
As other have mentioned, isekai is not a purely Japanese or anime thing. Being whisked to another world is found in media throughout the world. It is often combined with reincarnation in anime, but it is hardly a requirement. At the core, it is escapism, which is very common in fantasy.

I think part of the reason it is so popular, it that it sells well to the current anime fan and there is a large amount of source material. Will isekais be this popular in ten years from now? I seriously doubt it. We are past the peak most likely, but a few are clever despite others becoming a lot more pandering. The amount of genderbender isekais is pretty staggering this season, and there are far more in light novels and manga.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:27 pm Reply with quote
@Myrick, @Snomaster

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not saying that reading or watching fiction is the same thing as being whisked away to another world. Rather, I feel that one of the reasons that people read, especially genre fiction, is the desire to be at least temporarily some where, or someone else. In isekai fiction, this desire is doubly fed, both the MC any the reader or viewer are transported, one by imagination and one physically. This is part of why isekai fiction is so tempting.

I'll take it one step further. I'd say that neither of you or anyone else on this forum has every been isekaied or knows of any reliable way that could be accomplisher. Daydreaming, reading or writing fiction or watching fictional shows, is the closest we can ever get to being transported to another world. I suppose that taking a person from one culture and dropping them into another culture elsewhere on this world would come close, but you wouldn't get the auto translation and other cool powers that isekai MC seem to get.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for clearing that up,Alan45. I had a feeling you weren't being literal but thanks for the response anyway.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My assumption would be reincarnation narratives connected to Buddhism, of which I aware has a fairly large part in Japanese culture. My understanding even is that Buddhist funerals are the most common, so it really is not much of a surprise that reincarnation isekai would be popular.

That's a very insightful answer that I didn't even think of lol.

My other input is "story convenience".

If the character died in their old world, they don't have to worry about "getting back". No more school or work...or loved ones wondering about where they've "mysteriously disappeared to." Death certainly would take care of all that.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:20 am Reply with quote
Well,thanks for the response,Chiibi. That could be the other reason. In many ways,it would be different from how we Americans would handle this sort of story. The main character would basically be alive and would try to find a way back to his old world. As we've seen,the Japanese did it differently. Thanks again for the comment. I appreciate it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,thanks for the response,Chiibi. That could be the other reason. In many ways,it would be different from how we Americans would handle this sort of story. The main character would basically be alive and would try to find a way back to his old world. As we've seen,the Japanese did it differently. Thanks again for the comment. I appreciate it.

Japan doesn't always do it differently either. There have been quite a few isekai stories where the character doesn't die to get transported to the other world. Just a quick rundown of some of those shows, we have:

Aura Battler Dunbine Where the main character is magically transported to the world of Byston Well by a man named Drake Luft to help conquer it, while out riding his motorcycle. At one point in the series, the characters wind up crossing back and forth between the two worlds, often with highly destructive results when in our world.

Magic Knight Rayearth While visiting Tokyo Tower on a school trip, three junior high school girls are magically transported to the world of Cephiro where they have to rescue its protector who's been kidnapped.

Vision of Escaflowne In this series, it's a person from the other world that's transported to ours along with the dragon he was fighting. This happens while the main character, high school student, Hitomi Kanzaki is working on improving her running time. After slaying the dragon and taking its heart, the young man, Van, and Hitomi wind up getting transported back to his world, Gaea.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing that out,Beltane70. There are isekai anime and manga that do things similar to what we in America and elsewhere have done. I even remember a recent anime called "Isekai Cheat Magician" about two teenagers who are transported to another world to help it out. Fortunately,they're still alive so it's interesting to see something like that done here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2