• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Photographer Arrested in Japan for Allegedly Drugging, Assaulting 6 Cosplayers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ok, this is a terrible crime, but I can't understand what this news has to do with anime and manga?
Cosplay has nothing to do with anime and manga, and people cosplay with characters from Western movies and cartoons.
I'm here for the latest anime news, not rape news in Japan
There are enough websites for news about rape and crimes
Zimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:52 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
Ok, this is a terrible crime, but I can't understand what this news has to do with anime and manga?
Cosplay has nothing to do with anime and manga, and people cosplay with characters from Western movies and cartoons.
I get where you're coming from. With these kind of things when they involve say voice actors or manga artists, there's a clear connection. This seems a bit too tangential.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

It's a million times more relevant than all the COVID coverage, but no-one complains about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a hentai story (also a Cosby story). Wouldn't be too surprising if this guy gets a suspended sentence

"Quasi-rape":

Under Japanese law, not fighting back can make it impossible for prosecutors to prove rape. Legislators revised Japan’s century-old rape law (yes, it was left unchanged for a hundred years) in 2017 to include harsher penalties and other changes. The reforms, however, left intact controversial requirements that prosecutors must prove that violence or intimidation was involved or that the victim was “incapable of resistance.” The law makes no mention of consent - that wouldn’t be enough to constitute rape under the law.

Behind the legal burden, experts say, is a traditional view that women are responsible for protecting their chastity. Japan’s rape law was introduced before women could vote, and its main intent was to protect family honor and pedigree.

The idea is women must resist to the very limit. That is at the heart of this kind of ruling. And there is still the view that "No means Yes" (ergo, many questionable romance josei stories). It is not yet the common view that a woman’s agreement is necessary before having sex.

A recent series of acquittals has revived outrage over that legal standard, which critics say places an unfairly high burden on victims, deterring them from coming forward and hurting their chances in court if they do. They say the law must be revisited to make all non-consensual sex a crime, without exception, as it is in other developed countries

(There was one such famous ruling a couple years ago, when a court in Nagoya acquitted a father accused of raping his 19-year-old daughter. The court recognized that the sex was non-consensual, that the father had physically and sexually abused the victim when she was younger, and that he had used force. But the judges concluded that doubt remained as to whether she had no option other than to submit.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
Quote:
I can't understand what this news has to do with anime and manga?

Cosplay is like manga, gaming, light novels, idols, live shows and miscellaneous cultural news from Japan. It is all part of the culture that includes anime. ANN has routinely posted photos of cosplayers at various events (back when we had live events) including cosplay of non Japanese characters. Like all these other things that are not central to anime reporting, they are easy to ignore. Just read the stuff you like and skip over the rest, it is not that hard.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:
evan77 wrote:
I get where you're coming from. With these kind of things when they involve say voice actors or manga artists, there's a clear connection. This seems a bit too tangential.

It's well within the anime manga culture that's why. Be like complaining about ANN talking about comiket statistics/cancelations because it's not officially within the industry outside of the corpo booths but it's still well within the otaku culture.
Don't wanna read it? Then just don't. I ignore all the articles about seiyuu getting COVID and don't go moaning about it in the comments.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Cosplay is like manga, gaming, light novels, idols, live shows and miscellaneous cultural news from Japan. It is all part of the culture that includes anime. ANN has routinely posted photos of cosplayers at various events (back when we had live events) including cosplay of non Japanese characters. Like all these other things that are not central to anime reporting, they are easy to ignore. Just read the stuff you like and skip over the rest, it is not that hard.

Considering how this complaint comes up every few months with the mods and others like myself having to explain the game to these people it apparently is THAT hard.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for the victims so I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming them or anything, but how does stuff like that even happen?

ME AT OTAKON, ANIME NYC OR ANY ANIME CONVENTION IN THE US: Hi there cosplayer! Can I take your picture? In my car?

*Security is alerted and I am tossed into a garbage bin outside.

Then again, Bill Cosby got away with this kind of stuff for a long time. But at least he was a celebrity so there's that. It's so strange to me that women would fall for this stuff with a rando. It's still not the victim's faults or anything, but it's amazing to me that any man would attempt this and get away with it even once.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This sounds like a hentai story (also a Cosby story). Wouldn't be too surprising if this guy gets a suspended sentence

"Quasi-rape":

Under Japanese law, not fighting back can make it impossible for prosecutors to prove rape. Legislators revised Japan’s century-old rape law (yes, it was left unchanged for a hundred years) in 2017 to include harsher penalties and other changes. The reforms, however, left intact controversial requirements that prosecutors must prove that violence or intimidation was involved or that the victim was “incapable of resistance.” The law makes no mention of consent - that wouldn’t be enough to constitute rape under the law.

Behind the legal burden, experts say, is a traditional view that women are responsible for protecting their chastity. Japan’s rape law was introduced before women could vote, and its main intent was to protect family honor and pedigree.

The idea is women must resist to the very limit. That is at the heart of this kind of ruling. And there is still the view that "No means Yes" (ergo, many questionable romance josei stories). It is not yet the common view that a woman’s agreement is necessary before having sex.

A recent series of acquittals has revived outrage over that legal standard, which critics say places an unfairly high burden on victims, deterring them from coming forward and hurting their chances in court if they do. They say the law must be revisited to make all non-consensual sex a crime, without exception, as it is in other developed countries

(There was one such famous ruling a couple years ago, when a court in Nagoya acquitted a father accused of raping his 19-year-old daughter. The court recognized that the sex was non-consensual, that the father had physically and sexually abused the victim when she was younger, and that he had used force. But the judges concluded that doubt remained as to whether she had no option other than to submit.)

the silver lining is that he got accused of a crime, and considering Japan's conviction rates, this should.be a slam dunk.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:46 am Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
evan77 wrote:

It's a million times more relevant than all the COVID coverage, but no-one complains about that.

Use to be a lot worse on here. Scope was nearly anything Japan pop culture related even.

It is disingenuous to call criminal rapist a photographer. He clearly is criminal impersonating photographer to pick up victims.

Agree with daily covid notices. Is this to raise awareness of covid?? As it stands, nealy everyone one earth will end up with omicron I expect ANN to eventually report when seiyu gets cold, stumps toe on dresser, or order milkshake from burger king. it may be easier to report on who does not have covid at this point.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they got the guy, he is a scumbag, but it's heavily offtopic as it's a general crime article meant more for local or national news.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad this scumbag got caught.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
ANN writes a lot of articles that are anime-adjacent rather than direct coverage of literal anime. Weird to complain about it being "off-topic".

'Quasi-rape' sounds like some kind of weird caricature. Does it sound as off-puttingly ridiculous in Japanese? To be a fly on the wall in backroom legislative conversations about updating that law..

And, obviously, glad they caught him.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

One of the largest cosplay groups are most bikers (e.g., Futaba's grandfather in My Senpai is Annoying). They ape the dress (other than 3-part patches), equipment, and some of the behavior (e.g., riding in groups to roadside taverns) of patched motorcycle club (MC) members, but very few are in a patched club and even fewer in a 1%MC (outlaw club).

evan77 wrote:

_ The price of ice cream increased by 10 yen in Japan

Not a problem if it is wasabi ice cream - I love the girls of Yuru CampΔ but do not share their taste for this stuff. I would like the stuff as much as the girls in A Place Further than the Universe (dis)liked durian fruit ice cream.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

Agree with daily covid notices. Is this to raise awareness of covid?? As it stands, nealy everyone one earth will end up with omicron I expect ANN to eventually report when seiyu gets cold, stumps toe on dresser, or order milkshake from burger king. it may be easier to report on who does not have covid at this point.

As noted before, ANN reported when cast or staff members have to cancel events or assignments due to sickness before COVID-19. The nature of COVID-19 entails that patients, regardless of severity, miss 10 days of work and events.

If a voice actor misses that many days of work, it's probably not because of stubbing a toe or ordering a milkshake.

evan77 wrote:

In future news from ANN :
_ The weather in Tokyo today is a bit cloudy and the weather is likely to rain.
_ McDonald's Japan has a 10% discount today
_ The price of ice cream increased by 10 yen in Japan
_ It's very hot in Japan today

Prolific voice actors losing nearly two weeks of work (or separately, an alleged criminal preying on cosplayers at events) is not comparable to the weather or food prices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4