• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cover Corp. Announces Termination of VTuber Uruha Rushia's Contract

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaumana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Just another sad and dark example where a person is branded for a cause and circumstances the public will never know to its full extent because a lot of things happened behind the scenes and all I see at the end is how a person with known mental issues has to deal with a social expulsion and consequences for mistakes they likely did out of a cornering situation and without sufficient support and care from the management side.

I have witnessed enough internet dramas where people faced absurdly heavy consequences for impulsive or partly dumb or unintentional actions or statements as a result of a domino effect, landing from one misery to the next.
I think you make yourself too comfortable as a fan if you end up just talking to yourself into believing that the consequences "probably have their rightness," just because the cooperation behind them took very drastic measures - because in the end, let's be real - you absolutely don't know for sure what happened behind the scenes and the official statement from the management is the only point of reference, which due to vague choice of words allows far too many speculations for the fandom and there will be rarely the opportunity to listen to the other affected side (because even if they wanted to, it will come with far heavier legal consequences).

It's easy just to look at the mistake and brand / reduce someone to it (again: you will never know what really happened and official, vague statements from the corp can be interpreted very openly). Then after the expulsion, most fans will move on, feasting on their next option for their escapism. It doesn't mean breaches of contracts are secondary, it's just sad to see yet another exemplary case that shows how the industry works, that the clear separation of professional and personal persona and unconditional devotion for the sake of entertainment is often taken too much for granted, and unfortunately there is no space or attention to discuss the lack of support for those people's private and psychological issues that may have played a role in the escalation.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:58 am Reply with quote
I know nothing about these people but as a general rule I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that unusually drastic action against someone automatically means they must have deserved it. Organisations have been known to overreact at times even in cases where the facts are public, and sometimes even in self-destructive ways.

From FormX’s summary it sounds less like intentional wrongdoing than just someone with depression struggling to find anyone to have an honest conversation with despite a restrictive impersonal relationship with legions of fans.
Uokel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I know nothing about these people but as a general rule I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that unusually drastic action against someone automatically means they must have deserved it. Organisations have been known to overreact at times even in cases where the facts are public, and sometimes even in self-destructive ways.

From FormX’s summary it sounds less like intentional wrongdoing than just someone with depression struggling to find anyone to have an honest conversation with despite a restrictive impersonal relationship with legions of fans.

So to add to this Rushia herself has given even more information to KoreKore after she got fired. She went on his stream again and it's pretty bad. Things like If I disappear leak all this information because i want them to suffer too. She was also in talks with that other guy who is even worst Narukumi? I think his name was (guy who bullied a girl online so badly with his drama baiting she killed herself) So bad that his youtube was terminated.

There is also proof of her going behind Covers back and sending personalized video messages to some of her top donators on twitter without permission. (cute but you can't be doing favoritism)

Talking about things going on within Cover between management and other associates. Accusations of bullying etc.

This is all coming from her mouth and messages and this has been going on for a good while. So much so her management even told her to stop talking to KoreKore.

It sucks that she got terminated but with things like this (some are confirmed where others are from her mouth ) it's pretty obvious to see why she was fired after the investigation.

People going on Cover did this wrong Cover did that. If the talent does there own thing without permission there is nothing they can do about it.

Her own gen mates went on and talked about how they tried to help her but things just went to out of control.
maquarch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Uokel wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

So to add to this Rushia herself has given even more information to KoreKore after she got fired. She went on his stream again and it's pretty bad. Things like If I disappear leak all this information because i want them to suffer too. She was also in talks with that other guy who is even worst Narukumi? I think his name was (guy who bullied a girl online so badly with his drama baiting she killed herself) So bad that his youtube was terminated.

There is also proof of her going behind Covers back and sending personalized video messages to some of her top donators on twitter without permission. (cute but you can't be doing favoritism)

Talking about things going on within Cover between management and other associates. Accusations of bullying etc.

This is all coming from her mouth and messages and this has been going on for a good while. So much so her management even told her to stop talking to KoreKore.

It sucks that she got terminated but with things like this (some are confirmed where others are from her mouth ) it's pretty obvious to see why she was fired after the investigation.

People going on Cover did this wrong Cover did that. If the talent does there own thing without permission there is nothing they can do about it.

Her own gen mates went on and talked about how they tried to help her but things just went to out of control.

I'm glad you posted this as I was about to share more myself. I understand people were speaking through emotions but afterwards they need to stop and see the reality. People keep saying, "Show me the proof." or "All I saw was this said in a English translated clip." Some won't dig further just because they don't know Japanese which is fine but then these are also some of the exact same people who won't believe you even if you gave them the proofs and told them to use google translate.

The JP side have found evidence that she broke NDA a very long time ago and are already sharing around on twitter. Plus not only that, Rushia is outing herself and admitting the things she did on her other persona. Some of the JP bros who have the personalized videos have come forward with even DMs and it goes to show that she also bribed those who did not stay consistent with their superchats. So, I can see why she instantly rose up in being one of the highest revenues for Hololive.

By Rushia's own words, it seems like after getting caught, she wanted to bring the girls down with her. That also aligns with why she sent out the last tweet which was quickly deleted after of her saying, "Goodbye and before I go, all of the other Holomem have boyfriends." A lot of the people who saw that tweet have screenshots of it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls even saw it themselves and got pissed at her.

So by the end of the day, it's no wonder Cover terminated her after having done investigations. The Board of Directors are no doubt pissed and if anything Yagoo and Achan probably helped to cool down the situation because it doesn't look like Rushia is getting sued. If people wanna still support her, go ahead. No one isn't stopping you. She already has a dedicated fanbase that will follow her regardless.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of worried that the "All other holomems have boyfriends" admission may cause in-fighting between idols in the future (if it's true), the type of mess I don't want to hear about again as something similar caused idols to get hurt.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
maquarch wrote:
That also aligns with why she sent out the last tweet which was quickly deleted after of her saying, "Goodbye and before I go, all of the other Holomem have boyfriends."

That’s some epic trolling, but I see how some of the other people involved might find it less amusing.

maquarch wrote:
and it goes to show that she also bribed those who did not stay consistent with their superchats. So, I can see why she instantly rose up in being one of the highest revenues for Hololive.

Just out of curiosity would it be possible to explain this for those of us who are ignorant of these systems? Does this mean she basically used her own funds to indirectly pay herself in order to rise in the donation rankings?
maquarch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
maquarch wrote:
That also aligns with why she sent out the last tweet which was quickly deleted after of her saying, "Goodbye and before I go, all of the other Holomem have boyfriends."

That’s some epic trolling, but I see how some of the other people involved might find it less amusing.

Well, the worst part is that Rushia already admitted to giving away the real life information of the talents to third party people that isn't even suppose to have it before that tweet went out. So that's already a security risk for fellow Holomem.

Sven Viking wrote:
maquarch wrote:
and it goes to show that she also bribed those who did not stay consistent with their superchats. So, I can see why she instantly rose up in being one of the highest revenues for Hololive.

Just out of curiosity would it be possible to explain this for those of us who are ignorant of these systems? Does this mean she basically used her own funds to indirectly pay herself in order to rise in the donation rankings?

What it means is that those who fell behind the usual amount of superchat value they usually sent were asked to make up for it in return for a promised personalized video message or would be revoked of that privilege. So for example;
-In one month I give Rushia a total of $1000, secretly DMs me to say thanks and gives me a personalized video behind management's back.
-But the end of next month I only end up sending her $800. Rushia doesn't DM me.
-So a new month ends and the total of my superchats is the usual $1000. Rushia comes back to DM me and promises me another personalized video or just secretly chatting if I donate to her more next time or else she'll no longer secretly DM me.
From there the cycle continues. Hopefully, I was able to make some sense?
Uokel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:00 am Reply with quote
maquarch wrote:

What it means is that those who fell behind the usual amount of superchat value they usually sent were asked to make up for it in return for a promised personalized video message or would be revoked of that privilege. So for example;
-In one month I give Rushia a total of $1000, secretly DMs me to say thanks and gives me a personalized video behind management's back.
-But the end of next month I only end up sending her $800. Rushia doesn't DM me.
-So a new month ends and the total of my superchats is the usual $1000. Rushia comes back to DM me and promises me another personalized video or just secretly chatting if I donate to her more next time or else she'll no longer secretly DM me.

To add to this as well, after she finished replying to them she would instantly delete the twitter DM to hide that she was doing this. This was confirmed by one of her fans who received these Dm's making it hard to even know she was doing this. He even shared the video with her saying his full username etc to stop anyone from saying he is lying.

Now I have nothing against Rushia I enjoyed her streams and it seemed like she was far more cheerful lately so it really sucks that things went the way they did. Luckily though she does have a dedicated fanbase so she wont ever really be on her own if she wants to do her own things.

It's just so annoying that everyone likes to dog Pile on Cover and don't even think about things like Why would they get rid of their top super chatted talent?

Hell people still think Aloe was fired by cover when she in fact quit.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ah yeah the personal information sounds pretty dangerous Sad. That would seem like a very valid reason for terminating her contract.

maquarch wrote:

And the organisation is against this even though it makes them more money? That seems unexpectedly ethical of them. I saw a documentary on Chinese streamers once where those sorts of practices were imposed by management. The streaming service even encouraged streamers to donate to themselves to increase their chances of winning huge contests with fancy award ceremonies where the person with the highest total donations wins (and with >50% of each donation going to the streaming service iirc).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

And the organisation is against this even though it makes them more money? That seems unexpectedly ethical of them. I saw a documentary on Chinese streamers once where those sorts of practices were imposed by management. The streaming service even encouraged streamers to donate to themselves to increase their chances of winning huge contests with fancy award ceremonies where the person with the highest total donations wins (and with >50% of each donation going to the streaming service iirc).

Many end up borrowing money from their agency bosses trying to be the #1 streamer - only 1 can win, while everybody else are tagged losers and suffer the consequences

But many end up in debt, even if they win. So really, the true winners are the agencies and their bosses

It's really predatory, but that's not much different from Vtubers
maquarch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Uokel wrote:
maquarch wrote:

To add to this as well, after she finished replying to them she would instantly delete the twitter DM to hide that she was doing this. This was confirmed by one of her fans who received these Dm's making it hard to even know she was doing this. He even shared the video with her saying his full username etc to stop anyone from saying he is lying.

Now I have nothing against Rushia I enjoyed her streams and it seemed like she was far more cheerful lately so it really sucks that things went the way they did. Luckily though she does have a dedicated fanbase so she wont ever really be on her own if she wants to do her own things.

It's just so annoying that everyone likes to dog Pile on Cover and don't even think about things like Why would they get rid of their top super chatted talent?

Hell people still think Aloe was fired by cover when she in fact quit.

Yea, people just tend to take things at face value and not actually read or do some research. Like I said in one of my posts too, I understand that emotions came through first but then those who can't fathom she did anything wrong when she in fact did is beyond me. JP bros have already shown that what she did is valid of a termination. Despite what wrong Rushia did, she has a dedicated fanbase who will follow her. Regardless, no one is stopping anyone from continuing to support her.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

And the organisation is against this even though it makes them more money? That seems unexpectedly ethical of them.

Yes, Cover in general does not want their talent to show favor or preference to any of their fans in any private matter. Even with it comes to membership tiers, Calliope, a HoloEN member, was told that she needed to get rid of the extra stream(s) that she was providing to those with a higher membership tier. Cover definitely could make a lot more money if they didn't have this policy.
maquarch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Ah yeah the personal information sounds pretty dangerous Sad. That would seem like a very valid reason for terminating her contract.

maquarch wrote:

I've seen those Chinese documentaries before. I've also saw a Chinese documentary where a streaming agency handles the lives of the girls to what they eat, wear, when to sleep, must ask to go to the bathroom and it's a requirement that they MUST sleep in the provided space, which is literally a tiny sized room with a bed, some chosen clothes and streaming devices, so that they can be "maintained" and be reachable by staff for the duration of their contract they signed. Their cut is after all the expenses have been calculated. Some of the girls even said sometimes they don't even get paid because the expenses were too much that month to maintain them. It's horrendous.

However, that doesn't apply to Hololive Production. Sides, a lot of the girls from Hololive have already come forward that their most paycheck comes from their official merchandises getting sold. From what I heard based on what the girls have said, they have a small based salary that every talents get and will always get that salary on top of their shares of superchats and merchandises sold. I haven't heard if they get a share cut of doing collaborations with an outside company though that comes to them. Also, did you know that when you superchat through phone, the service you're superchatting through takes a cut, too? That's why it's better to superchat to the girls through laptop/computer instead if you're able to. The Hololive girls making more money doesn't win them anything. Sure, it probably helps the talents to sustain a better life but by the end of the day, more money just equals to more money.

Last edited by maquarch on Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
maquarch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

And the organisation is against this even though it makes them more money? That seems unexpectedly ethical of them.

Yes, Cover in general does not want their talent to show favor or preference to any of their fans in any private matter. Even with it comes to membership tiers, Calliope, a HoloEN member, was told that she needed to get rid of the extra stream(s) that she was providing to those with a higher membership tier. Cover definitely could make a lot more money if they didn't have this policy.

Aaah, now it aligns with why I was seeing some people say Calli's was streaming more than usual to those who have her high tier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5