• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Antique Bakery Manga to be Animated for TV in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
I am thrilled about this. Anyone else share my enthusiasm?
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
YES! YES! VERY YES!

I loved this manga so very very much. I only wish it had been longer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, this is sweet!! I totally love this manga! It's so cute and funny. Can't wait. Anime smile
For-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
I am definitely excited about this. I really loved the manga. I can't wait to see it animated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
Wonder who will sub it...
Atropine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
THANK YOU, BL GOD.

Though no anime could top the scratch and sniff covers of the manga.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
this is good news. I've been waiting for a yoshinaga work to be animated. and a whole series to boot. the summer season is lookin up!
jenparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Antique Bakery isn't a romcom, ANN-- it's probably best categorized as a slice-of-life comedy, and a really excellent one at that. Read maor!

That said: really looking forward to it. I'm especially interested in how they adapt Yoshinaga-sensei's art style-- which is expressive in characters but very sparse in backgrounds --into an anime.

I just hope people don't stupidly write it off as a yaoi (which it's not) and ignore it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
jenparker wrote:
Antique Bakery isn't a romcom, ANN-- it's probably best categorized as a slice-of-life comedy, and a really excellent one at that. Read maor!

That said: really looking forward to it. I'm especially interested in how they adapt Yoshinaga-sensei's art style-- which is expressive in characters but very sparse in backgrounds --into an anime.

I just hope people don't stupidly write it off as a yaoi (which it's not) and ignore it.

I agree. It's definitely more slice-of-life where one or two characters happen to be gay, and turbulent gay angst is not the center of the plot. This manga made me laugh out loud at some points, and other parts are just really cute and sweet. And the description of the desserts made me sooo hungry! I'm tempted to give this manga to my sister who's a pastry chef and ask her to attempt to recreate some of the desserts described. Very Happy
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Good news! I really enjoyed Antique Bakery and I hope they do a good job with anime. They made Ono straight in the live-action adaptation, and I think they'll do that with the anime series, too, though :/

Edit: And, so, it seems that the Gods have answered my please! Yay for gay Ono!

Last edited by CitizenGeek on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to watch it. I loved both the manga and live-action.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a Noitamina series, and I've never seen one of those I didn't like, so this automatically becomes something I'll want to watch.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Good news! I really enjoyed Antique Bakery and I hope they do a good job with anime. They made Ono straight in the live-action adaptation, and I think they'll do that with the anime series, too, though :/

Why the heck would they do that? That would cut out some of the best jokes in the manga! I sincerely hope they stay faithful to the manga.

EDIT: Yay!! What good news that they're staying faithful to the manga for the anime. I just reread the series after hearing the original news, and it's still just as great as the first time I read it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thank heaven they aren't making Ono straight. It's such an integral point that he's a genius baker, but his lifestyle has lost him so many jobs. I can't even see how that could transmute into a version of him not being able to hold a job because he's shy? This book seems to have quite a following here & the gay sub-plot doesn't seem to affect it. It really is a small, though important, part of the story, maybe less vital than that the manager went thru in his childhood.
I'd also say this is more slice-of-life than BL. It's like From Eroica. I buy it as yaoi-ish, but the CPM panel members always insist it's not. (Just because the lead if flaming. They are right, I don't see Eroica scoring his Iron Major, but it's so funny, I love it. It is so full of '70's-'80's stereotypes). THe gay character has his lovers which we see in the books, but much of that could be removed without affecting the plot since it is basically an anthology-type title involving the bakery employees & the customers. Depending on the time slot they're aiming for, the small amount of sex could be toned down for an early slot or left in for a later slot.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, good. I haven't read the series and don't really check out shonen ai titles, but that a character was 'made straight' for an adaptation is disgusting. Good for the author, fans, and gay people among them who try to get media recognition. That's terrible that a gay character is just erased because it offends some social taboo. From what I hear, Japanese society as a whole is pretty in denial of homosexuals in Japan. Having gone to a gay nightclub in Tokyo with a gay friend a bunch of other straight friends, I myself can vouch that there are gay people in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2