• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
RIP skinny little bud vase. Very Happy

It keeps bothering me that Anya takes an ordinary bus to school. I've ridden many a school bus and they are decidedly not elegant! I'd expect all the kids at this school to be chauffeured or dropped off by their nannies or something.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I have had a thought for a while and seeing the Lum cosplayer reminded me, could the two accessories Anya always has in her hair actually cover "monster horns" that enable her telepathy? Maybe a Lum reference? In Ep1 flashback we see her hair in two little conical pyramids at the same locations, is she hiding something or are they just a weird preference?
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
OMG Episode 9 had me in stiches!

The training montage, the reveal of Bill, the boys training montage and the Dragonball Z parody!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

The training montage, the reveal of Bill, the boys training montage and the Dragonball Z parody!

The training montage had some direct Star of the Giants / Kyojij no Hoshi references, when Damien's flunky sacrificed himself they directly quoted Slam Dunk, the formation G was a good old Jet Stream Attack from Gundam, and they had stickers of the Honō no Tōkyūji: Dodge Danpei characters on the class schedule. Also probably Hunter x Hunter reference too. All the parodies were not in the manga, but very hilarious.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:05 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I have had a thought for a while and seeing the Lum cosplayer reminded me, could the two accessories Anya always has in her hair actually cover "monster horns" that enable her telepathy? Maybe a Lum reference? In Ep1 flashback we see her hair in two little conical pyramids at the same locations, is she hiding something or are they just a weird preference?

Nah, if anything is -so far- it's an homage to a previous one-shot from the mangaka: Rengoku no Ashe (煉獄のアーシェ)

Also, in this episode there was also a little reference to Dodge Danpei, whose anime was broadcasted through Europe in the 90s…
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
Some gags may have stayed for too much like the giant dude but I couldn't stop laughing at the final one which had the biggest build up in the entire episode. As usual the animation was pretty neat and the actress of Anya keeps making her character epic. I also appreciate they brought a bit of depth to the other kid.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
The DBZ reference with the Namek backgrounds in this episode was great. Actually, this episode's reveling in typical shonen fighting series cliches was great all around.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
The DBZ reference with the Namek backgrounds in this episode was great. Actually, this episode's reveling in typical shonen fighting series cliches was great all around.

More than just cliches, they had actual direct homages. DBZ is the one that Westerners are most likely to get (that and Bobby's dad being M. Bison from Street Fighter), but the word for word quote of a famous Slam Dunk line (Coach Mitsuyoshi's "Until the very end, never lose hope. It's when you give up that the match is over.") was pretty obvious, along with the direct copying of the throwing style from Star of the Giants, the face block from Captain Tsubasa, and the little stickers of the Dodge Danpei characters on the class schedule are among the things that Japanese fans would all notice.

Anime team had a lot of fun with the episode.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
@KGW-Thanks! I never heard of that one but obviously....BTW- does KGW stand for potassium-gadolinium-wolframite? It's a real solid-state laser crystal made during the Soviet era.

Holy Cow, was Ep10 ever a laugh riot! From the very first/last joke bookends ("kids aren't elegant") to the hyper-emotional sacrifices for Lord Damien to the predictable (I saw that one coming a mile off) Anya FAIL. Timing is everything gurl...IRL dodge=ball should be as epic...
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
For a good time, seek out "Anya sings Chiki-chiki ban ban".
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:

The training montage had some direct Star of the Giants / Kyojij no Hoshi references, when Damien's flunky sacrificed himself they directly quoted Slam Dunk, the formation G was a good old Jet Stream Attack from Gundam, and they had stickers of the Honō no Tōkyūji: Dodge Danpei characters on the class schedule. Also probably Hunter x Hunter reference too. All the parodies were not in the manga, but very hilarious.

Yeah I spotted the Jet Stream Attack reference, any sports anime references will be lost on me though, not really my thing and the only one I ever watched was that baseball romance, I think it was called Cross Game.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
That was one of the greatest sports anime's I have ever watched.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This weeks episode was hilarious. I was expecting Bill to sound like a kid still, so him sounding as old as he looked gave me a nice laugh. Him still acting like a little kid with his dad was also a nice touch.
I would have expected Henderson to wear something more elegant than a more typical jogging outfit while exercising. It wouldn't have surprised me if he had another suit to wear Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
The defining elements of elegance are simplicity, grace (or profundity) and stylishness. A simple, well fitting and stylishly designed jogging suit would be elegant. It seems Mr. Henderson has also generalized the concept to encompass excellence, so if the suit were of high quality material and craftmanship, it would be more elegant. In light of the style criterion, the girl's uniforms are decidedly NOT elegant...
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode. It looks to me like Spy x Family as a series has started to be divided in two parts - the part with the children and the part with the adults. And I think it generally works a lot better when it focuses on the children's part. It manages to depict exactly the kids' reactions that make them extremely funny and cute from time to time, and is overall a solid, good half an hour with jokes that land 90% of the time. The part with the adults... I can't decipher yet. It wants to be a feel-good everyday life comedy, but the base material is pretty dark, perhaps possibly too dark to be convincingly adjusted to the comedy the series seems to want to primarily sell. (Not that it can't happen - Gintama did it. But not everyone can be Gintama.) The adult characters are likeable but not terribly interesting either. Yor is the perfect waifu (and somehow, the fact that she is not perfect because she is a secret assassin makes her even more perfect), Lloyd is essentially the narrator that is there to act as the straight man for the jokes, and Yuri is... well, a siscon. On the contrary, Anya and Damian have doubled down on their charisma and relatability and I'm really invested in their school adventures, no matter how trivial they might seem in the grand scale of things. Looking forward to see more of them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20